Trusted Contributor

Icing Chest for Insomnia.

[ Edited ]

This method of putting an ice pack on my chest at night really is helping me. I discovered it on my own, then looked into it after getting positive results.

From Psychology Today:

Classified as a quick fix for insomnia, this particular TikTok trend claims that if you place an ice pack on your chest, you will calm down quickly and be able to fall asleep more easily. Watched more than 3 million times as of this writing, the idea is that the ice helps stimulate and tone your vagus nerve. Your vagus nerve is the long cranial nerve that extends from the base of your brain through the organs in your abdomen. It plays a crucial role in the function of the parasympathetic nervous system, which calms your body down after its counterpart-- the sympathetic nervous system-- is activated into fight-or-flight (which amps it up).

Low quality sleep, difficulty getting to sleep, and full-fledged sleep disorders like insomnia have all been increasing in prevalence in modern times, and the pandemic has only fueled these challenges. So, it’s no surprise that this particular life hack has gained such enthusiasm among a very receptive audience. So the question becomes: Is it backed by science?

The basic answer is, happily, yes—in part. Early research has indeed shown promise in vagus nerve stimulation having benefits in helping relieve anxiety and fear. And additional research has looked at vagus nerve stimulation specifically as it pertains to insomni..., and the results are encouraging. Vagus nerve stimulation—in the aforementioned study achieved with an implanted electronic device—was associated with an increase in the body’s production of melatonin, which in turn helped study participants fall asleep more smoothly.

And using cold temperatures in particular to stimulate and tone the vagus nerve has been supported by recent research (though it is far from settled, as some contradictory results have been attained as well.)

Valued Contributor

Re: Icing Chest for Insomnia.

No, thank you.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, thanks for the buzzkill with no explanation, @D Kay .

I hope your post doesn't discourage others who could really be helped.

Maybe you could have waited awhile.

Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener 

Facinating subject and great it's working for you  I have a practical question please.  Do you place the ice pack on your chest for a short time and remove before going to sleep?  Just wondering how you make it work.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

I would pass but I do know I fall asleep faster if one foot is sticking out and feeling cooler air so I can appreciate their theory.  But noooooo.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I use an old school fabric covered ice pack filled with ice and some water. I wrap that in a teeshirt and place it right in the center of my chest, propping it against myself as best I can since I am a side sleeper.

I just leave it in place according to comfort, sometimes on all night, sometimes shoved off to the side.

The physical calming away from that fight or flight sort of tossing and turning, is very evident to me, and I can drift off.

Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 , the technique works on the vagus nerve.

Respected Contributor

I can't sleep when I'm cold. Icing something usually makes me alert. (it has helped with swelling or pain though)

I would also wonder if putting ice on the chest could have negative effects on people with heart conditions.

Since there is no vetted scientific study nor data yet that doesn't have "contradictory results" on how or whether chest ice helps & is safe for everyone, I'm out too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's very interesting. I read too that it is supported by science, some drs as well as tiktok (which of course a source that may make many skeptical).

But for those who don't like the idea of cold or maybe those with asthma,

there is deep breathing, singing or humming and gargling!

So interesting to learn about these.

I don't have anxiety or rarely trouble getting to sleep but know a lot who do.I think the racing thoughts and not being able to sleep that some have must be awful.It's nice to have some easy and natural solutions.

I was wondering too if it is safe for everyone. Those with asthma or low or high blood pressure and yes heart conditions as @Desert Lily mentioned. I couldn't find much info about that. I did read you should not fall asleep with an ice pack but wouldn't it have gotten not cold by  the time you fall asleep? 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012,

My daughters both have to have one foot stuck out from the cover. So funny.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"