Trusted Contributor

Re: Icing Chest for Insomnia.

@Effie54 , If you had read my original post, I did not go on tiktok. I went on Psychology Today. The article is pretty self explanatory and makes no definitive claims.

I have never been on tiktok.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm shivering just imagining it.  I recently added a down comforter - previously just used a down blanket.  I sleep a lot better when I'm warm.

Glad it helped you FLgardener and thanks for sharing.

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily, I reiterate, I have never been on tiktok. 

Respected Contributor

@FLgardener  I never mentioned TikTok. Maybe you have me confused with another poster.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

NONE OF THE RESEARCH STUDIES CITED IN THIS ARTICLE HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HELPING PEOPLE WITH INSOMNIA SLEEP, INCLUDING SLEEP INDUCED BY STIMULATION OF THE VAGUS NERVE.

I READ EVERY LINKED STUDY FROM THE CITATIONS. THIS, AS FAR AS SCIENTIFIC CREDIBILITY TAKEN FROM THE CITATIONS INCLUDED, IS BS. 

If you are so worked up and/or having such a bad day that you need to yell, perhaps you shouldn't be posting till you're in a calmer state. Maybe an ice pack will help.

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@FLgardener  I never mentioned TikTok. Maybe you have me confused with another poster.

I thought you hearted a post that seemed to imply my info came from tiktok. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener  How interesting! I might try it since I am icing my dislocated shoulder now anyway. Did it say how long to use the cooling?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just leave the ice on as long as it feels comfortable, and don't use it every night, mostly on those nights when my mind and body just won't go silent.

@SeaMaiden 

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener,

did not mention tik tok at all. I mentioned it not because any of the op info came from there but because when I was reading about it after seeing this thread, I saw that it is a popular thing on tik tok.

I have never gotten on tik tok either.

I did also read however a lot about the vegas nerve and how some drs and explanations of the science behind putting cold on the chest can calm anxiety insomnia etc.

I think that makes sense.

It especially makes sense if it helps someone!

I just couldn't find any info on is it safe for anyone esp those with asthma, blood pressure high or low, or heart conditions.

I wonder too if it can be like the science behind a tens unit. If we are concentrating on the cold, and in addition how it affects the vegas nerve than we can't be thinking so much about spinning thoughts or feeling so anxious. Just like a tens unit a dr told me it works because our brains don't feel pain the same time it is processing and feeling the electrical buzz sensation.

I am always glad to learn about new things that work. They may not work or be right for everyone but how great if they do!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener  Interesting... thanks for posting.