Honored Contributor

Re: IS THIS NOW A COMMON DENTAL PROCEDURE?

It depends on your dentist and their expertise and training

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

My guess is that most dentists refer out.  That is what I am experiencing right now.  I was having a problem with a tooth that had a root canal and a crown.  My dentist examined my tooth and took xrays.  He then referred me to an Endodontist.  The endodontist said, I only do root canals and you already have one in that tooth. He referred me to a Maxillofacial Surgeon who I'm seeing today ... ugh!

@shy bobcat 

You are fixing to get an implant spiel.  That's what those maxillofacial guys do.

Respected Contributor

Here in the Denver metro area my dentist does crowns and depending on the situation root canals as well as the regular stuff.  

Honored Contributor

Some dentists do root canals, various cosmetic procedures, even oral surgery and implants. However, there are always those who specialize in the various areas, hence we have Endodentists, Oral Surgeons, Periodentists, Orthodentists, and Prostadentists. they all need to make a living !! I have had 2 root canals, both done by an Endodentist, of course he charges more . 

Respected Contributor

I am not sure there is a good, old plain dentist around our area in central California anymore. Ours retired years ago. My husband and I have had to go to one to pull teeth, one to do root canals, another to do implants and another to make the replacement dental appliances needed to complete after a tooth is pulled, had an implant done or had a root canal. I haven't had a tooth simply filled since our regular dentist retired. I could have bought a pretty nice car for all the money I have had put in my mouth.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it' just depends upon the practice. My dentist office performs cleanings, cavities, and crowns.

A few years back I had to have a root canal and I was referred to an endodontist.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If you want one stop shopping, you need a Dental Arts Center and they like to reach into your pocket and spend your money.

Respected Contributor

My dentist does root canals and crowns.  My prior dentist,  who retired 2 years ago,  did as well,  as did the dentist I went to before I moved to the Chcago area.

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

My guess is that most dentists refer out.  That is what I am experiencing right now.  I was having a problem with a tooth that had a root canal and a crown.  My dentist examined my tooth and took xrays.  He then referred me to an Endodontist.  The endodontist said, I only do root canals and you already have one in that tooth. He referred me to a Maxillofacial Surgeon who I'm seeing today ... ugh!

@shy bobcat 

You are fixing to get an implant spiel.  That's what those maxillofacial guys do.

@Nonametoday  I went to my appointment planning on an implant, but the dentist who is also an M.D. said, "no."  I get infusions of Bisphosphonates which adversely affect the healing of bone.  I am Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

@shy bobcat 

@Nonametoday  I went to my appointment planning on an implant, but the dentist who is also an M.D. said, "no."  I get infusions of Bisphosphonates which adversely affect the healing of bone.  I am Smiley Sad

@shy bobcat 

I had a dentist who said that but my oral surgeon said it helped when I got implants.  I think there are different schools of opinion on that.  I was scared even though he said it was better to have that not to.  I think opinions differ but my family physician told me not to take any more Reclast infusions until I was 1 year status post implants.  So I stopped.  Now I get Prolia and need more "huge"dental work to remove an implant and two root canals adjacent for other reasons (trigeminal neuralgia). I want them out to see if helps my pain.  Doctor and oral surgeon say it's okay. I just pray I don't have osteonecrosis. Your oral surgeon was probably wise not to do it.  It scares me to think about it. Yes, all oral surgeons should be MD's.  If not, I would not use them.  ;-)