Esteemed Contributor

Re: IS IT WORTH ENROLLING IN AARP?

@novamc1  Oh! You may be right about that. (Can understand how my post was comical, now. I'm laughing with you!)

I called AARP and stopped their junk mail over 11 years ago. At the time, my USPS carrier was still delivering a lot of first class mail. We haven't talked about junk mail since then! Thanks for the insightful comment. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It is an insurance company.  Do you want to join an insurance company?  DIscounts are available elsewhere.

No, it's a lobbying firm

Valued Contributor

Sometimes I use the AARP discounts but what I really like (more than their glossy magazine) is the paper AARP Bulletin.  You get both as part of your subscription.  The AARP Bulletin comes out monthly and is FILLED with great articles. I am a medical and insurance writer and I think the research behind this paper is very solid.  I always find at least 2-3 articles each month that are especially useful.  Cannot recommend it enough.  My husband asks me every year if we should renew and I say YES, the bulletin and magazine are worth the low annual cost.  Plus you get a nice discount at Denny's! LOL.Do they lobby? Of course. They pursue many actions that are of interest to and protect seniors. Not a bad thing.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It is an insurance company.  Do you want to join an insurance company?  DIscounts are available elsewhere.

No, it's a lobbying firm

Yes, it is a lobbying firm and its purpose is to keep and continue Social Security and Medicare benefits for seniors.How that is anything but a good thing makes me wonder?