Honored Contributor

Re: IS IT WORTH ENROLLING IN AARP?

[ Edited ]

They are entitled to their politics and opinion, but ,they aren't going to do it on my dime. I will support what I feel is fair and just , to all

Respected Contributor

I prefer it when a company is open about their political leanings. It makes it easier for me to choose who I wish to do business with and who I don't. 

There are places on line to check. I've put several companies on my do not buy list because of who or what they support.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana @Lindsays Grandma 

We joined and here was my reasoning FWIW:

I feel that because of the organization's size, they would have more lobbying power.

This is just a guess on my part.

We use their Advantage plan for our medical plan.

We get no phone calls or emails.

If there is paper junk mail, it goes in the trash before I ever see it!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

A few of my friends are members ... for the discounts.

I was a member for quite a few years.   But when they became political, I cancelled my membership.

Honored Contributor

We joined AARP when DH was deluged with enrollment mail and was old enough to join. I know they have lowered the minimum age byvseveral years in an effort to boost membership. The only thing the membership bought us was tons of junk mail. The so-called discounts are the same ones you can get through AAA and many other organizations; the “exclusive offers” are actually not that at all. They also annoyed us with constant solicitations. My answer would be no...they are also just a political PAC and have done nothing to benefit me as a senior that I can see.

Honored Contributor

We joined AARP when DH was deluged with enrollment mail and was old enough to join. I know they have lowered the minimum age by several years in an effort to boost membership. The only thing the membership bought us was tons of junk mail. Insurance is their main focus and the so-called discounts are the same ones you can get through AAA and other organizations;  the “exclusive offers” are actually not that at all. They also annoyed us with constant solicitations by phone and by mail when we didn’t renew. My answer would be no...they are basically a political PA. DH did get a free fannypack when he joined, though😎.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketraand other posters:

Your statement is oh so correct!  Their politics are not in the best interest of seniors, but where AARP's financials are. They are big, dirty business preying on seniors. That's nasty politics.

Their fees for insurance are close to a 4 3/4% kickback! Why would anyone in their right mind pay a FEE for health, home, auto or any other insurance? It makes no sense. Yet, many on these forums apparently fall for their advertising campaigns, lobbying, and other antics in their magazines which are written to sway guilliable seniors to believe AARP. And seniors blindly follow, rather than purchase their insurance directly from the insurance company. Why have a middle-man? Your insurance company's local agent will do a lot more than AARP ever will if something happens. 

Anyway, why recycle or pitch their mailings? You are wasting paper and trees. It's so easy to call the number on one of those mailings and simply insist to have your name, address, phone number and email be removed from all of their lists. Just tell them you have NO INTEREST.

One phone call worked for me many years ago. Saves my USPS carrier a lot of excess junk mail, as well. That stuff doesn't cost as much as a regular letter; another reason I dislike junk mail. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Ketraand other posters:

Your statement is oh so correct!  Their politics are not in the best interest of seniors, but where AARP's financials are. They are big, dirty business preying on seniors. That's nasty.

Anyway, why recycle or pitch their mailings? You are wasting paper and trees. It's so easy to call the number on one of those mailings and simply insist to have your name, address, phone number and email be removed from all of their lists. Just tell them you have NO INTEREST.

One phone call worked for me many years ago. Saves my USPS carrier a lot of excess junk mail, as well. That stuff doesn't cost as much as a regular letter; another reason I dislike junk mail. 

@BirkiLady Thanks! I’ll call them tomorrow.😊

Respected Contributor

Trinity11 is right on. I have a nephew who is an AARP lobbyist; he backs up everything she stated in her post.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady 

Got a good chuckle out of what you wrote........

<< Saves my USPS carrier a lot of excess junk mail, as well. That stuff doesn't cost as much as a regular letter; another reason I dislike junk mail. >>

Had a humorous  conversation with my favorite mail carrier one day out at the mailbox station in our community.  He said the junk mail and excess paper he was putting into our mailboxes were  his "income security".

The Postal Service needs our business.  It doesn't care whether our "business" is junk!  First-class postal mail is almost dead. 

Support junk mail if you care about your postal guy or gal.

LOL!!