Honored Contributor

Re: IS IT WORTH ENROLLING IN AARP?

I don't think it is.  

I used to be a member; it's kind of hard to escape it when you're first sent all their literature.  But eventually I found that even the magazines, and especially the website, were full of things I pretty much already knew.

I don't use the discounts but that may be a reason for some to belong.

And several other posters have given reasons why you may even want to reject whatever they offer.  Now I just recycle anything they send me without even opening it.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge, that is the best reply!!!😁
Respected Contributor

I joined when I turned 50 just to get the bi-monthly magazine. I don't ever remember using any of the discounts.

When I subscribed I took the 3 year plan because it was cheaper. When I decided not to renew, I was constantly hounded with emails and paper mail to renew for about two years. They don't easily take 'no' for an answer

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I was under the impression that they fight for Social Security benefits and Medicare in Congress. When some want to get rid of both, they fight for them. They also fight for lower drug costs. Right now they are trying to get reduced prices for insulin which would be a real benefit for me.

They never have sent me a lot of literature and all I have received are discounts ...my husband's eyeglasses for instance. Definitely we haven't had the issues with AARP some on this thread seem to have had...

Same here. 

I was under the same impression as you.

We just get the normal mailings from them regarding the insurances that they offer for different coverages.

When we had AAA, we were sent more information from them constantly.

Honored Contributor

yes, it is worth it for us.

i dont use it for insurance.

we use it primarily for the recommendations, the information provided,  AND for the the other discounts offered, including discounts at restaurants.

the membership pays for itself for us.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma   They are involved in lobbying and one-sided politics. I throw their stuff in the trash.

Respected Contributor

I don't think AARP helps Seniors where it counts the most. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Only if you want to receive junk mail and sales calls every. single. day. for the rest of your life.

And involving themselves in politics is right up there with celebrities who do the same, IMO.

As opposed to AMAC, mentioned a few posts up in this thread? 

@ILTH 

As opposed to nothing.....I don't listen to any of it, I make my own  decisions about everything in my life.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Husband and I have always been members since turning 50 and now pushing 80. We enjoy the magazine and newsletter and have never been bothered by junk mail or solicitation. It’s inexpensive to join, and there is good health & retirement info in their publications. We pay no attention to any organization’s politics.
Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma   They are involved in lobbying and one-sided politics. I throw their stuff in the trash.

@Ketra   Yes!