Honored Contributor

Re: IS IT WORTH ENROLLING IN AARP?

Only if you want to receive junk mail and sales calls every. single. day. for the rest of your life.

And involving themselves in politics is right up there with celebrities who do the same, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It is an insurance company.  Do you want to join an insurance company?  DIscounts are available elsewhere.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Only if you want to receive junk mail and sales calls every. single. day. for the rest of your life.

And involving themselves in politics is right up there with celebrities who do the same, IMO.

As opposed to AMAC, mentioned a few posts up in this thread? 

Honored Contributor

For DH and myself I would say yes.  It is such a small amount of money for membership.  We enjoy getting their newsletter and magazine monthly--some useful info there.  Also hotel discounts and a lot of other discounts at Walgreens, Denny's, etc. that we rarely remember to use but nice to know it's there.  They do send info about insurance regularly but we have never received a phone call from them so the hassle factor is a non issue for us.

Honored Contributor

Nope.  I throw their stuff unopened right into the trash.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

We do not think so. Don't travel so wouldn't use those discounts. We can get the mag at our library. 

For political reasons DH is opposed.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

We enrolled the end of '08 - we were buying a new car and there was a $1500 discount for AARP members. We were in it a year and that was it.  Waste of money otherwise.  

Trusted Contributor

I enrolled and enjoy getting the magazine and newspaper. I also use the brain games in the online feature.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

No.  Get similar benefits from AAA.  Yes, AARP sends literature all the time.  Never even open it anymore.  Waste of paper and trees.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never have and will not ever join. Do not need them.  

I get a ton of junk mail from them....when they send me prepaid envelopes...I mail them back with nothing in them just so they have to pay they postage😄.

I figure the post office gets paid and it helps them out😄😄😄😄👍👍👍👍