Respected Contributor

What comes to mind for me is the cost of a possible second procedure.  Being the cheapskate that I am, I'd ask whether I could get a discount on the second procedure if her first attempt failed, maybe one-third off?  Perhaps ask for half and settle for one-third?  These dentists charge a fortune for everything, so if I can get a nice discount all the better.

Respected Contributor

Just finished antibiotic treatment for my long-lived bronchitis episode.  My doctor recommended Acidopholus pills: on a a day, refrigerate after opening for total cost of $5 vs. $20 for fancy package of Probiotics.

DH finally went back to his doctor who finally prescribed antibiotics and an inhaler because his bronchitis hung on longer than mine.  When I suggested he take some of my Acidopholus pills, he hesitated: googled info, interrogated me, called CVS pharmacy, and finally called his doctor who said YES take them!

Patience please, I am about out !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

Re: INFECTION IN TOOTH

[ Edited ]

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  Today I woke up with swelling right up to my eye so called the dentist I saw yesterday and right now on antibiotics.  I had no swelling before seeing either dentist but noticed after seeing my regular dentist Tuesday, Tuesday night i got a little swelling by my nose.  I assume the swelling was from the dentists poking around there.  The swelling is going down so hopefully I will be fine until next week.

At this point I will have the root canal on the one crown that needs it.  As far as the front tooth I'm still debating on that.  I do have two dental implants I got in 2009 on back teeth and very happy with them.  I do know the expense of the implant and the crown so will be prepared for that if I go that route.  Hopefully by the time the second tooth is done I'll have an answer which way to go.  I wanted to talk to my regular dentist too  and get her thoughts.

Wa Girl, I do remember you posting about cancer since I had the same type.  I didn't need chemo but know from a friend that had chemo it can affect your teeth.  It's sad after going through cancer treatment that you then have to deal with problems with your teeth.  I hope you're doing well.  

Just taking it day by day and see what happens.  I remember when my mom was in her 70's she decided to have her front teeth pulled and it upset me.  She had that smile I saw for so many years and her teeth were perfect.  She had fractured her front tooth and just wanted to take care of things once and for all.  Maybe my feelings about losing a front tooth stems from that.  

My endodontist is a woman and very well educated.  Honors at Harvard and I do trust her.  My son in law had his root canals by her and he liked her too.  She straight to the point and answered all my questions.  When it comes to cost I told my husband well either I spend money on me or my kids will on trips someday.

I did get a 10% discount yesterday since I have no dental insurance.  I usually will pay cash to get a discount but this doctor took a credit card so I'll earn some money back on my card.   

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart.... 

If it were me, I'd do whatever the dentist suggested in order to get rid of the infection. That's the most dangerous part of all this.  Some infections can be taken care of with antibiotics alone, others need to be physically taken out plus antibiotics.   I also understand about the cost but getting rid of the infection is the priority.... it's dangerous stuff....  good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*