Respected Contributor

Re: IBS - crampy stomach every single day

You may have a lack of seritonin like I did.  Antidepressants were the only thing that helped.

Respected Contributor

@natesgrandma Hi. I called the drug company and that 's how I got it for $15.00. That lasted about 2 years. They don't have that available any longer. To get help, you have to practically have no money at all.  I am sooo happy that doctor helped your daughter. Kids shouldn't suffer. Stay well.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@natesgrandma wrote:

I have been to a gastro dr. for this already - her suggestions were IBGuard, FodMap diet and Levsin.  Nothing seems to work.  I have this crampy feeling every day.  I can;t eat anything without stressing about if it is going to make me worse.  I just am so frustrated.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.    I have IBS-C and I can't  tolerate fiber and I don't really have luck with probiotics.  They all seem to cause  gas.  I just can't seem to get the right plan going.  

@natesgrandma  I use Andrew Lessman's Digest Assure and it has allowed me to eat food that I couldn't before.

Esteemed Contributor

@natesgrandma I feel for you. I had IBSD so bad that I dare not eat lunch out with friends. It was so scary all of the time. Very limited on what I could eat. Anyway, about a year ago my pharmacist recommended Florajen. It's live culture and so much more effective that some of the other meds out there. It's been a God send. It is kept refrigerated because the culture is live. I am a new person !! Good luck in finding something that works for you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@natesgrandma wrote:

...I have IBS-C and I can't  tolerate fiber and I don't really have luck with probiotics.  They all seem to cause  gas. I just can't seem to get the right plan going.

@natesgrandma, I don't have IBS, but I do have digestive problems.  I tried many highly rated probiotic brands with no success.  They either upset my stomach more or did nothing. Finally, I tried Align - not highly rated - and it helped me immediately. 

It took a lot of trial and error. Maybe there is a product that you havent tried that would work for you too.

Valued Contributor

Hi @natesgrandma - I didn't see this mentioned in the replies so I will bring it up.  I honestly think it'd be worth it to look up IBS and whole-food, plant-based eating (WFPB).  Some names include Michael Klaper, Joel Fuhrman, Pam Popper, John McDougall, and .  Michael Greger.   This is just to name a few.  

I know what you said about "fiber" however, it is still worth looking into WFPB.  There is power in knowledge.  The more you read about it, the more self-empowered you will become.  

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much to everyone for the good ideas!

Honored Contributor

@bichon mom wrote:

Hi! I know exactly how you feel.  I have suffered from IBS-C all my life and have tried numerous treatments.  I just had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last week and no maojr issues.- Just a couple polyps and Barrett's esophogus.

However, the week before I had a lactulose breath test to check for SIBO and it came back very positive.  I will start taking Xifaxan on Wednesday for two weeks.  I may need a second round.  She believes this will help and is the source of my problems.  I believe Lilac Tree was diagnosed with the same.  Please ask your gastro dr about this.  I can't wait to see if it helps.  I am desperate as well.

I am also on the new meds for constipation- Trulance.

Take good care!

@bichon mom

Hi bichon mom.  Yes, I have SIBO, but am no longer taking the Xifaxan.  My gastro doc gave me a lot of samples, and after the fourth day I began to have side effects.  So I stopped taking it.  I'm almost relieved because my Part D insurance doesn't cover it and it costs $900 per month. 

Pharmacist says he called my gastro doc and suggested he call the insurance company to see what they could do about the price, and that's the last I have heard from anyone.  So I am trying my best on the Fodmap diet, and Miralax (what a godsend that med is) and getting by.  I guess I will just have to get used to looking six months pregnant.  Hard to do because I have always had a very flat stomach even after four babies.

I have an appt with the gastro doc on June 25 and I guess we will go from there.

The cost for the Xifaxan would have been $900 for me, I don't know what you are paying . . . insurance plans differ on the cost.  I have heard $1400 for a 30 day supply.

I hope you will do well. This is a very relentless and uncomfortable disease.  (((hugs)))

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

My afternoon belly aches were from the bread I was using for sandwiches for lunch.  NO, I am not gluten intolerant but the bread from Publix bakery gives me a belly ache.  

But I can eat the bread from Panara without a problem. Weird?  Yeah, I know.  Could be the brand of yeast, the type of wheat in the flour, the type of salt???  I am just glad I found some bread I can eat!  

Bad interactions to foods can be almost impossible to pinpoint.  They are usually different for everybody.  Good luck finding out what is causing yours.

Like many of you, my body is far from normal.  It took 7 different antibiotics to get rid of my diverticulitis!  4 by IV!

Valued Contributor

Have you tried Canada Drugs Online for your Donnatol? That may help with the expense. I get my Nexium from there, and I pay about 1/3 what I would pay here.