Regular Contributor

IBS - any new remedies for the relief of pain, bloating and "D"?

I had it for years and then it just went away for a year or two - it's back!!!{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Valued Contributor

Re: IBS - any new remedies for the relief of pain, bloating and "D"?

I have had it for more than 25 years. When I was first diagnosed, my GI told me that the most important thing I could do, above all, was to take Metamucil every day with plenty of water. I started with other meds and then came off those, but have been on Metamucil (Psyllium) since then. With the fiber and water, your system becomes more regulated and helps with both C and D. Smiley Happy

I take the capsules instead of the powder now about 14-16 per day. Cannot do without them.

I have never used any of the newer IBS drugs.

Super Contributor

Are you open to trying weird things? I ask because I was desperate... and one weird thing that helped soothe the 'fire' was drinking gelatin.

Slippery Elm helps me sometimes as well. And taking L-glutamine (this one takes a while to help but it does seem to. It helps keep flare ups at bay. When I stop taking it for a while, that's usually when my problem comes back with a vengeance.

I also take Chelated Magnesium Glycinate and vitamin D in addition to my multis. Magnesium is really important for digestion, but you have to get a form that is absorbed - the wrong form can cause a laxative effect - NOT what you want!

But back to the weird - the gelatin. I don't think that cured the "d" part of anything, but for me it really helped calm down the crampy angry feeling in my gut. It's very soothing to the lining of all that plumbing. You can use the plain knox gelatin, or the Kosher Great Plains Gelatin.

I add it to my coffee and tea, soup, etc. (you can't taste it once it's dissolved in there). I make sugar free gummy candies and find all kinds of ways to get the gelatin in. My gut thanks me. The bonus is my joints feel much better and my skin looks great too from all that collagen :-D

Respected Contributor

I was told when diagnosed it never really goes away.

If someone could find a fix for the bloating, I'd be eternally grateful.

Drinking a glass of water does it for me.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Marshmallow extract- it has really been helping with the D!

I also cut out most dairy- although I can tolerate cheese ok.

Respected Contributor

Coconut water seems to soothe the bowels, It is alkaline in nature. I've also believed some yogurt a day helps, unless you are lactose intolerant.
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for the valuable info. I am having a flare up right now - luckily I do have a big can of Metamucil - will start that immediately.

I will take all the advice to heart.

Good luck to my fellow sufferers of this condition.

Contributor

I am so sorry you are having a flare up. It's not fun.

I suffered with IBS all my life, until the last two years. I removed most sugar, and all soy and gluten from my diet. Took some work to figure out that they were each major triggers for me.

I am so much improved since I made those changes (two years now). I rarely flare up, and much more mildly. I no longer carry anti-D pills, and anti-gas stuff in my purse daily. And rarely have to make that dash to the restroom.

I know what worked for me isn't going to everyone. But finding those triggers was huge.

I wish you all the best!

Super Contributor

Lol, I can just see you drinking coconut water with gelatin and Metamucil and marshmallow extract. I can hear your bowels saying "AAAAAH" right now. (I figure a little guided imagery healing can't hurt...) {#emotions_dlg.closedeyes}

Honored Contributor

check peoplespharmacy.com for lots of info on possible IBS cures....but I know from a few people I know who have suffered from IBS for a long time that eating coconut macaroons (Archway brand) seems to have stopped it in its tracks.....neighbor took her dog to the vet due to diarrhea issues...and he told her to give him flaked coconut when nothing else the vet had tried had worked at all....she was skeptical but tried it and after 2-3 servings of it, his problem became much better and he now has the problem very infrequently.

eating cookies as a possible fix doesn't sound like a bad idea...hope it works for you!