Respected Contributor

I have IBS and am wondering what works best for this condition?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: IBS--WHAT WORKS FOR YOU?

[ Edited ]

Has your doctor prescribed any medication for you?  There is some specifically for this disorder.  Don't know if it works  on everyone, but worth a try.  

Frequent Contributor

My gastro recommended IBgard peppermint oil capsules which have really helped. He also suggested a low FODMAPS diet. https://www.webmd.com/ibs/guide/what-is-fodmap#1 I read up about it and started the diet. Within a week I noticed a difference in how I felt. Monash University in Australia and King's College London have very good websites and apps for following low FODMAPS. The diet is restrictive, but you do see results if you follow it. It's becoming the first line of treatment for IBS.

Honored Contributor

@fortune 

DD has had IBS w/constipation (IBS-C) for most of her life and has taken both Linzess and Amitiza.

She found the Amitiza to be too harsh to take every day as prescribed (turned to diarrhea), so her Dr. put her on a lower dose Linzess and it works very well for her, without throwing her system in the opposite direction.

Talk to your Dr. and he can probably give you samples of each to try, to see which works better for you.

Hoping you find relief and wishing you the best!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been taking berberine. Improving my gut health is only one benefit of taking that supp. There are several others but I won't go into those here.

Berberine, for me, works mostly for my bouts of diarrhea. But it has also helped my bouts of constipation because that supp seems to even things out for me. Generally, however, berberine is mostly used as a treatment for IBS-D.

Respected Contributor

Per my doctor’s instruction, I drink a tablespoon of original Metamucil mixed in water every evening (stay away from the flavored Metamucil that has Aspertane).  It takes a couple weeks to get used to it but it works.  You can ask your doctor about it. 

Honored Contributor

Low Fat Plant Based Whole Food Eating.

Even though supplements might help,

nothing will help if the wrong foods are ingested.

‘Spastic colon’ or the ‘sense of urgency’ is one of the major reasons

why I adopted this lifestyle. Throughout the decades, I could tie back

by issues with a higher fat diet.

In the 80s/90s if I lost weight doing Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers,

it always got better (I was eating lower fat to lose weight)

even though I was still consuming meat. Better...but it always

came back when I stopped the diet.

In the 90s, when I discovered Dr. John McDougall, not only did my

issues go away due to the low fat, but my weight dropped without

effort..and eating lots of food.

In the 00s, though, I started to eat lots more PB fats, including the

new Vegan processed foods...and some of the issues started to

show up again. As soon as I went 100% LFWFPB, issues went away.

I began to learn more about the Gut Biome...where it all made sense. 

The biome doesn’t thrive in a fatty environment...and meat/dairy/eggs

causes so much inflammation to the gut lining. 

If Low Fat is good, Low Fat Plant Based is better, than 

Low Fat Whole Food Plant Based is the Gold Standard. 

Dr. McDougall’s website will have the information, meal plans,

grocery lists, success stories. Free...no need to buy anything.

If you do want a book, he does address the gut specifically in

his Digestive Tune-Up. Food made ALL the difference 

with me....just sharing what worked..and WORKS for me.

8A3CFC56-6FEA-4369-8578-B3929CBDE1AF.jpeg

Honored Contributor

You also might try a probiotic. Mine was caused by medication and it really made a difference for me

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

I have IBS and am wondering what works best for this condition?

What kind of symptoms are you having?

I was diagnosed with Crohns & every day is different but I mostly suffer from diarrhea, constipation & extreme gas.

Metamucil is my friend.    My doctor suggested more fiber and I can't eat enough to make a difference.    Eating fiber is difficult for me.    But the Metamucil is perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

When I started with this condition I purchased the OTC Mylanta tablets or Zantac tablets. It gave me some releif. I found peppermint anything (especially tea) or spearmint tea helped soothe my system at night or after dinner. Check your diet and what foods you are eating on a regular basis. You will find spicy foods will irritate a bit. I did a food diary quite a few times to track what I was eating during some bad "spurts" with my condition. It gives you informtion that might help.

See a doctor and make sure you are both in agreement on the treatment. If not, then see another doctor. It may take a few times before you find the one that works for you and your condtition in it's current state.

Good Luck!