Valued Contributor

Is am in my 60s and my mom died of breast cancer 5 years ago.  I have my mammogram in two weeks and I am worrying myself sick.  I had a benign nodule about 3 years ago and I had a biopsy.  Then following year I had to go back for an ultrasound after having a 3D. Last year was fine.   I just so nervous and I would appreciate some positive words of encouragement.  Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Worry does nothing to change the outcome..Unfortunatly I also worry.  Remember, you are doing your best to stay focused on your health. Prayer helps me settle down. Stay positive..you will do well.

Honored Contributor

Re: I worry to much

[ Edited ]

"So far you've survived 100% of your worst days.  You're great." 

(From worrier to worrier). I'll be 70 soon.  Nothing I've ever worried about has been as bad as I imagined or worried it would be.  My worries would have done me in a bizillion times, yet, I remain a 60's rocker!! 

Go for it! Stop worrying, you'll feel better.

One book I read also said, "maybe so, maybe not".  Worry won't change it.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

Is am in my 60s and my mom died of breast cancer 5 years ago.  I have my mammogram in two weeks and I am worrying myself sick.  I had a benign nodule about 3 years ago and I had a biopsy.  Then following year I had to go back for an ultrasound after having a 3D. Last year was fine.   I just so nervous and I would appreciate some positive words of encouragement.  Thank you.

@QVCPhobe  It sounds like you are doing all you can to stay healthy.  Good for you!  I am a worrier, too, about everything!!  I'm older than you and I have found it does no good.  Why not take a shopping trip to a favorite store?  I love Hobby Lobby, Pier 1, Michael's, Home Goods...........I know, it might just cost you money Smiley Happy.  But stay strong and know that others are in the same boat w/you!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCPhobe, I think being a bit of a worrywart regarding our health and wellness is not a bad thing.  Most of us are diligent with keeping up with our healthcare, and as a result even if there is something to address, we are generally on it early.  Speaking from my own extensive struggles in the health department, I have found that my fears and panic are often worse than the reality, but my worrying has also been a game saver by steering me to seek medical attention for little things (which turned out to be the onsets of big things) that some people might shrug off as nothing to worry about.  

Good luck with the mammogram.  

Contributor

I had breast cancer last year. I am in my 40s.  I understand your fear.  I have found that the fear was much worse than any of the physical aspects that I had to go through.  The fact that you are staying up on your mammograms is the best thing you can do. I have tried to live each day for that day.  Tell yourself I am good today and that is what matters.  I am sure your Mom is your guardian angel and she's watching out for you.

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

Both my parents died of cancer.

I used to worry but there's really no point.

I'm not going to waste what time I have left with worry (I'm 64).

Something's going to get me eventually, does it really matter what?

Honor your mom's memory by living strong, every day, like she would want you to.

Respected Contributor

I think, as we age, we start to worry more about our health. I often think that I worry too much also and it scares me to think about losing my parents, etc., They have lost so many friends and my friends are losing their parents. When I turned 50, I started to think more about all of these things.

I had a biopsy several years back and I hold my breath and am very anxious every time that I have a mamogram. I was called back two years ago but everything was okay. I would really suggest takling with a therapist to ease your anxiety and worry or seek iout Mindfulness.

Esteemed Contributor

Agreed. I feel we do tend to worry more as we get older but in the same respect we become stronger.   I am a breast cancer survivor (surgery, chemo, radiation) from 2014.  I am in my 50's and it is quite frightening to have a mammogram and ultrasound every 6 months.  But I feel if there is anything there, it's better to deal with it sooner rather than later.   I also have a positive attitude which I sincerely believe helps you find peace in any situation.   My best to all of you........

Valued Contributor

Re: I worry to much

[ Edited ]

Have you thought about having the BRCA test?  The percentage of breast cancer that is hereditary is actually quite small.  There are varying statistics but if you check it out you will see that to be the case.  I had breast cancer -- as did my mother.  I had the BRCA test and was negative.  Both the mother and grandmother of a friend who had breast cancer also had breast cancer.  She too was BRCA negative.  The test might help ease your fears.  For me it was important to know either way for the future after completing treatment.