Honored Contributor

Re: I was diagnosed with Shingles on the face and eye

@conlt...Prayers and a big hug that you feel better quickly. (((((((((((((((((((Halo117))))))))))))))))))))

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry to hear this...I've read it all and I'm glad you got it early and it's somewhat contained..

Try whatever it is that relaxes you most...and pamper yourself. some...sorry I don't have better tips.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Respected Contributor

Dear Halo,

Sorry about your mom and your eye.  Dennis, my husband had the same thing in his eye and temple area and took big horse pills and also got drops from the Army doc.  He did not lose his vision!  The only bad thing that happened to him was that he was in so much pain he gritted his teeth and cracked one of his molars (sp?) and had to have it pulled.  If you do find yourself grinding your teeth you may want to get a mouth guard for sleep.  I hope this might save you from what happened to DH.

May your RX work and you have a speedy recovery!  You have me and other wonderful people praying for you.

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

I have had the first shingles shot years ago,( the older one ) but have been on a drug store wait list for the second. There were a hundred people on it and no vaccine available . Local Drs don’t have it. Pharmacies here don’t have it. 

My father had shingles and his shoulder hurt so he had a big hand massager and rubbed his shoulder. The vibration made the shingles go to his hand, poor Papa!

Don’t use a massager. 

Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I've known a couple of people that have had them and all I remember is they are painful. My doctor just gave me a script for the shingles vaccination and the list is a mile long to get one as there is a shortage. Also, I wish the best for you with your mom. I went thru that 5 years ago.Prayers for you both. 

DH and I were lucky enough to get both doses of the new shingles vaccine.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@conlt 

I’m so sorry for all of this for you.

Good to know you are getting treatment.

DH had this same a few years ago.

He described the feelings in his eye as scratchy, but different. The next day a rash appeared on his face...yep. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@Havarti : What you are saying about the L-lysine is 100% true. When my sister in law got them on her thigh. That was the first thing she started to take. Plus using a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and applying it on her shingles. Worked like a charm for her Woman Very Happy

Contributor

Sorry to be so late in responding to your shingles issues.  Yes, I did also have it in my trigeminal nerve.  Rash went from scalp line on the left side down and around my eye.  It was very scary (not to mention very ugly to look at), but I was also put on the shingles medication (anti-viral) and given drops for my eye.  I had to go to the eye doctor almost every day for a couple weeks to make sure it had not entered my eye itself.  It didn't and was finally gone.  HOWEVER...in June of this year, I received the first of the 2 new Shingles vaccines.  I really had a bad reaction,...fever, chills, achy, etc.   Doctor told me to NOT get the 2nd shot.  O.k. now it is August and guess what!!  I have shingles again. This time it is from the top of my right shoulder across my upper chest.  Had to to Urgent Care, because my doctor had no openings yesterday.  Back on the anti-viral med. and tylenol.  I am totally depressed about all of this.  Am going to see my dermatologist on Tuesday.  Right now I am trying to stay away from others and am wearing a white cotton shirt.  Hope you are better with no eye involvement.  Judy

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

What was it like having the virus reactivate, can you tell me? Thank you

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1EBV symptoms for me were my throat pain was severe....I could'nt speak without severe pain...felt like my glands had swollen up and were prickly...like I had a large pinecone stuck in my throat.  I was DEAD tired fatigued...felt like I had intense brain fog going on and simply dragging around when I could manage that.  Like have horrible flu that will not go away....for months....and months.  Whenever I got or thought I was maybe getting abit better and tried to do anything I would have some energy for about 1/2hr and then need to go back to bed...again.  Rinse and repeat.

I did not get the infectious part of it like my original dx back in my teens....which is classified as mono with strep throat on top of that...high fever...spleen inflamed and so on...that was a ER visit back then.  

It can be confusing to know if it's this virus reactivating or am I getting the flu.  But that throat thing is the calling card...it is like no other and when that happens I am then thinking it's back again.  Only way to confirm is with lab testing....HTH