Honored Contributor

Re: I walked out of the dentist office today!

@baker wrote:

I quit my dentist of 30 years this year because of the way they do business. My new dental office is more up to date and offer vertually pain free cleanings(I have very sensitive teeth). Also, it's a full service office, they actually have a dentist on board who knows how to pull teeth. I did have to have a full set of xrays and a check up from the new dentist before they sheduled me for a cleaning. My niece who is a dental hygenist says that the dentist she works for pulls in a ton of money and he pays his people very well. Dental care was always very expensive and I don't remember going for check ups and cleaning before insurance came along. I don't know how often this dentist requires a full set of xrays, but my old dentist only did xrays once every few years or if you were having problems.

@baker wrote:

I quit my dentist of 30 years this year because of the way they do business. My new dental office is more up to date and offer vertually pain free cleanings(I have very sensitive teeth). Also, it's a full service office, they actually have a dentist on board who knows how to pull teeth. I did have to have a full set of xrays and a check up from the new dentist before they sheduled me for a cleaning. My niece who is a dental hygenist says that the dentist she works for pulls in a ton of money and he pays his people very well. Dental care was always very expensive and I don't remember going for check ups and cleaning before insurance came along. I don't know how often this dentist requires a full set of xrays, but my old dentist only did xrays once every few years or if you were having problems.

I agree before people had insurance we rarely had x rays. My insurance pays for x rays once a year and that is the crux of the issue I had here - I wanted my regular dentist in PA to be the one to do the x rays, not the guy here who I wanted to ONLY clean my teeth. But since when they looked up my insurance they found  they could get paid for x rays then they got greedy. Well,as it turned out they wasted a lot of time and weren't paid for anything.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I agree before people had insurance we rarely had x rays. My insurance pays for x rays once a year and that is the crux of the issue I had here - I wanted my regular dentist in PA to be the one to do the x rays, not the guy here who I wanted to ONLY clean my teeth. But since when they looked up my insurance they found  they could get paid for x rays then they got greedy. Well,as it turned out they wasted a lot of time and weren't paid for anything.

It's possible your problem is with your insurance company. Just a cleaning without a comprehensive exam, may be considered cosmetic.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

I think you should have had your PA xrays with you.  Dentists by and large are not trying to rip people off; they're trying to do their jobs and very occasional xrays are a part of that. 

IMO you are very naive.

Thank you for your input.

I've noticed that you say that, often, when people have a different viewpoint, than yours.

Honored Contributor

Couldn't you just pay for the cleaning? 

Honored Contributor

Wow.... I am floored that the Dentists and Hygenists are now "upselling"....  and X-rays every six months when you get your teeth cleaned is too much in my opinion.

I've had a ton of X-rays in my life, 18 years every year for my lungs, Cat scans, etc and I'm very wary of how cavalier these people are with x-raying.  While it's necessary to have them.... too many of them are not good for us!  

I would have walked out of the Dentist office too.  I'm sorry if the hygenist gets paid "per patient" but that's not my problem.  I remember Dentists that only took X-Rays occasionally ....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Wow.... I am floored that the Dentists and Hygenists are now "upselling"....  

I went back and inquired about this statement at my dentist offices, and they said that's not true.  Maybe it is at some, but for the two I go back and forth to, it isn't.  I've never seen any indication of it, and their personal is paid hourly.  If I ever felt like I was dealing with salespeople at the dentist or doctor office, I would not return. 

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

I think you should have had your PA xrays with you.  Dentists by and large are not trying to rip people off; they're trying to do their jobs and very occasional xrays are a part of that. 

IMO you are very naive.

Thank you for your input.

I've noticed that you say that, often, when people have a different viewpoint, than yours.

WHat MJ said is a lot more polite than  starting an argument-

Esteemed Contributor

The term for not wanting x-rays is called, Dental Denial. I also was told x- rays required every two years.  I was paying cash, so got them every two years, but my cleaning every six months.  Funny, the x rays never showed problems, but I,'ve had couple crowns,partial, bridge.

My HMO DEntal plan allows cleaning once a year and I need Peridontal cleaning which is more costly, So they do it for my co pay of $100 and six months later, I go to my other Hygienist and pay cash of $194. You pay more without insurance.

The dentist where I don,t have insurance though is wonderful and because I have been going so long, is matching the co pay of my HMO PLAN.  

The new dentist office is trying to tell me I need this and that done, which is not true. I DIDN,t realize some offices will try to get more money from you.y