Esteemed Contributor

Re: I've Been Sick Lately and Dealing With Doctors' Staffs

I'm with your husband!  Doctors and dentists are nortorious for overbooking.  It's good for their stats/$$$$$$$:  it also demonstrates a total lack of respect for their patients.

Honored Contributor

Not an easy profession/career now-a-days.  Nothing like the Marcus Welby lifestyle.   I'm not a fan of electronic medical sign-ups, or whatever it's called.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

One other thought, I have to remind my (sometimes impatient) husband, that we aren't the only ones that need/want to be seen. Waiting is a hard thing. I'm not the most patient person in the world either.

I think this is the OP's issue. She is ill and she feels she is THE ill person and the doctor should be putting her first. However, in reality, that doctor has many ill patients who need his attention. Esp. if the flu or a bad cold type illness is going through their community. And let's face it - unless your flu or cold has really advanced past the normal into broncitis or pneumonia- there is little a doctor can do for you except advise you to stay in bed , rest and drink plenty of fluids.

When I go to the doctor, I AM the ill person.  Figure out what you are paying the doctor--per minute--to treat you.  He or she spends less that 15 minutes per patient and charges around $200 per visit.  If they are too busy to treat all their ill patients, they should  book their day accordingly.  Just saying.

YOU may think you are THE ILL PERSON, but , guess what, that doctor has hundreds of patients and many of them are very seriously ill.  You think your cold or flu is the end of the world but they know it isn't, and patients are triaged to be seen by seriousness of their  illness, not by what they pay.

@151949

NOT NECESSARILY.  Years ago, explained that my Mum, 84yrs.old, fell down her cellar stairs and her neck was sore and wrist swollen to her PC's office.  They w/n get us in until 4 days later.  Made appt at Fallon Urgent Care.  We spent apx 4hrs there - they took xrays, but just left us sitting in an exam room; when I kept (my Mum was in pain) complaining, I was told people with the flu were more urgent so we had to wait.  It was evening by the time they came in, put a neck brace on her, handed me the xrays, said she had a broken neck and told me to drive to UMMC emergency!  We were immediately transferred to the intensive emergency area (where life-flights come in, etc.)  When questionned by the doctor and I told him about the PC and UrgentCare, he seemed quite upset.  Found out few days later he had contacted them - PC had called to apologize and inform me that they changed their procedures 'cause of this - like I cared!   IMO don't put your faith in medical personnel - it's a business and some are managed better than others.  IMO you have to be a fnmoron to give priority to the flu over a broken neck - guess there's a lot of them out thereWoman Mad

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My doctor's office is also a walk in clinic and so we can go there anytime and be seen. Of course without an appt. you must wait. His staff is great and not at all as the OP describes.He does close down office hours from 11AM to 1 PM to allow for lunch breaks and everyone to catch up on paperwork, phone calls etc.They have rotating staff as they are open 7 AM to 7PM except for the braek in the middle.

If they are familiar with rotating staff, why can't they rotate staff members over the lunch hour so they don't have to close down the whole office for 2 hours during the day!

@fortune wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My doctor's office is also a walk in clinic and so we can go there anytime and be seen. Of course without an appt. you must wait. His staff is great and not at all as the OP describes.He does close down office hours from 11AM to 1 PM to allow for lunch breaks and everyone to catch up on paperwork, phone calls etc.They have rotating staff as they are open 7 AM to 7PM except for the braek in the middle.

If they are familiar with rotating staff, why can't they rotate staff members over the lunch hour so they don't have to close down the whole office for 2 hours during the day!

Guess what ,it is none of my business. He runs his practice as he and his staff see fit.