Esteemed Contributor

Re: I this normal protocol today?

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

@bathina

I made some typo's in my first response that I have corrected.  Also,  I think this is a big political scam.  People are dying more often of alcohol and nicotine abuse, why don't they make that illegal?????  And treat those addicts????  It's crazy!!!

P.S. And may I add VAPING!!!!

@highmaintenancejan   I agree!!!!  Cigs killed my hubby.  THey are worried about how large the soft drinks were in movie theatres a few years back--REMEMBER THAT??  Now the Ins premiums are higher for anyone that smoked.  How is that fair???

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

The "opioid crisis" seems to be at the forefront of care today.  Unfortunately for years many docs prescribed pain meds for patients dealing with chronic conditions.  Today it seems that those same docs are referring patients to pain management centers for care.  Some of those providers want to go right to surgery, others say PT.  Neither option will help someone who is debilitated by severe pain!  But, the docs are being pressured not to give pain meds.  Someone in real pain is not going to abuse their medication.  But, it isn't politically correct in today's society to prescribe pain meds.  Ridiculous!!!  Any good doc can tell the difference between patient in real pain and someone who wants a fix.  In addition, pharmacists track those prescriptions and will call a doctor's office concerning dosage and frequency.

As far as the elderly are concerned, we prefer to live as best as can.  Aches and pains, arthritis, etc, they are all part of everyday life.  For those in severe, debilitating pain the stronger meds just take the edge off.  Most of us are in pain constantly, worse with damp, rainy weather.  I had injections in my back 2 years ago and spent 5 days in hospital due to side effects!!!  I take arthritis strength Tylenol daily and only get minor relief if any.  

Today, healthcare is a big business.  Docs don't always make the best choices for their patients, often due to outside interference!

@grandma r    You hit the nail on the head!   Dr's are into pushing immunizations now.  I had a bad reaction to a Pneumonia shot years ago and I refuse them now. My hubby had Pneumonia in August before he passed.  He was out of the hospital for 2 months and very weak and in bad shape.  The Dr. told me to take him to Walgreens to get a Pneumo 13.   I said your kidding right?  He said no he needs it.  My hubby asked me what I would do, I told him , I would not do it.  I told him that he had to make that decision not me.  He chose to get it and that night he went down with a very high fever.  THe man was dying and bedridden, so tell me why he needed that injection?    It is all about money. 

Esteemed Contributor

@highmaintenancejan wrote:

This happened to me also.  I'm 73.  Dr. prescribed for 7 years.  1 or 2 a day.  I have Fibro and I had rotator cuff surgery 6 months ago and I have various other pains.  Boom...no more Hydrocodone.  Just like that.  Cut off.  Offered to send me to a pain clinic.  I didn't go yet. Sounds like they didn't help your neighbor.  It is CRUEL!!  and, dangerous and very unfair to us elderly.  THIS IS THE NEW FLORIDA LAW !!!

I wonder where my neighbor is getting it?  Pain management is another money maker for them.   

Valued Contributor

@bathina wrote:

I think it is cruel too! But a part of me understands the reasoning for wanting people to explore other options. My neighbor is 100 lbs overweight and has mobility issues even WITH the pain med. Maybe the thinking is she will need to take more and more as time goes on because her body will be immune to the med? I don't know. I just felt awful when I saw her this morning. You would think they would slowly taper down the med so she wouldn't have to deal with hard withdrawal (which I'm convinced she's in).

Of course she has mobility issues due to her OBESITY. NOT too hard to figure ourt.

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe. I am so sorry for your loss.

I do believe that you have to be your own advocate.  No one knows your system better than you do.  You know what helps, and, more importantly, what doesn't.

Every year I get pressured to get the flu shot.  The last time I did I was sick for days.  When I was getting radiation, the doctor told me never to get a flu shot as it is contraindicated for anyone with my autoimmune diseases.  But, I still get pressured.  This year my husband got the flu shot and was horribly sick for 4 days.  The doc said he shouldn't have gotten the senior dose.  Hello.....he didn't give himself the shot!!!!!!

Years ago doctor's were thought to be infallible.  Not so much;  my mother died because her doctor never bothered to go look for the cause of her symptoms. Granted, it was over 50 years ago.  He was treating her for "women's issues" for 3 years without ever ordering a scan or xray.  She had a malignant brain tumor!  The doc said afterward that he was "saddened".  

I hope you stay well and hope you can enjoy this season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister was on heavy duty pain meds after back surgery and continued to take them for almost a year before her doctor finally said no more. To my knowledge she did get some kind of pain med. from the pain clinic, but it wasn't strong enough. My sister also had the counseling and some PT, but she finally got fed up and stopped going. I guess once she got off the pain meds. and realized she was not going to get anymore legally anyway, she didn't have the pain anymore. People no matter what kind of pain they are in are addicted to opiates in 5 days.

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

@BalletBabe. I am so sorry for your loss.

I do believe that you have to be your own advocate.  No one knows your system better than you do.  You know what helps, and, more importantly, what doesn't.

Every year I get pressured to get the flu shot.  The last time I did I was sick for days.  When I was getting radiation, the doctor told me never to get a flu shot as it is contraindicated for anyone with my autoimmune diseases.  But, I still get pressured.  This year my husband got the flu shot and was horribly sick for 4 days.  The doc said he shouldn't have gotten the senior dose.  Hello.....he didn't give himself the shot!!!!!!

Years ago doctor's were thought to be infallible.  Not so much;  my mother died because her doctor never bothered to go look for the cause of her symptoms. Granted, it was over 50 years ago.  He was treating her for "women's issues" for 3 years without ever ordering a scan or xray.  She had a malignant brain tumor!  The doc said afterward that he was "saddened".  

I hope you stay well and hope you can enjoy this season.

@grandma r  Thank you so much!   I hope the same to you as well.   

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

Unfortunately, chronic pain patients are suffering terribly today because of the "opioid crisis."  From what I've read, however, the majority of overdoses/deaths occur when people have mixed street drugs with opioids, or have bought opioids from unscrupulous dealers.  Chronic pain patients have a DEPENDANCE on opioids to ease their pain.  They are the ones suffering because of the actions of people who are misusing drugs... to get high, not to ease pain.

(bolding for emphasis)

It’s a slippery slope.

Addiction doesn’t have a particular demographic.

The mental aspect of habit to obtain that dopamine hit is still the same.

If the chronic pain patients were given an opportunity to

ease their pain, to the point eliminating all pain & removing

all pain medication.....they still wouldn’t accept it.

That’s a sign of addiction. 

@sidsmomExcuse me, but how long have you been in severe, chronic pain?  How can you say that chronic pain patients have an "opportunity" to eliminate their pain?  Perhaps some do, but certainly not all.  Sometimes taking narcotic pain medication is a last resort when nothing else helps.  According to you, do we need to suffer for the rest of our lives?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My sister was on heavy duty pain meds after back surgery and continued to take them for almost a year before her doctor finally said no more. To my knowledge she did get some kind of pain med. from the pain clinic, but it wasn't strong enough. My sister also had the counseling and some PT, but she finally got fed up and stopped going. I guess once she got off the pain meds. and realized she was not going to get anymore legally anyway, she didn't have the pain anymore. People no matter what kind of pain they are in are addicted to opiates in 5 days.

Reference? 

Esteemed Contributor

All the opioids are going to WV - and the DEA knows about it..