Honored Contributor

I think my thyroid is low again

All at once it seems my voice is raspy, and lower, and the small bones in my hands a feet hurt a lot. I can hardly make a fist

I checked on the thyroid website and confirmed low thyroid function  will do this. I had a blood test last Fri and am waiting for the results to come back

I increased my  dose ,to what it was before it was reduced..When the results come in ,I will call my Dr  and talk to her. I just don't want to get worse while I am waiting for test results...my hands will get so stiff I can hardly type, if it goes on for even a bit longer

Any people on thyroid, I would be glad to hear your input

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I think my thyroid is low again

I'm hypo, taking synthoid for 3-4 yrs or so. I was dropping wght a yr ago like crazy. While I felt great and was glad to be rid of excess body wght, I did see my Dr about this. She chose to lessen my daily dosage by one half a pill (75mcg) one day a week. At this point due to putting on the poundage again I do think (and hope) she ups my dosage back to that full pill. I won't know until December when I see her again.

I wouldn't change my dosage on my own however, not until we see my levels again.

Esteemed Contributor

I know mine fluctuates and it does bother sometimes.  I understand the voice difficulty - it's as is I am screaming and no one can hear, when it's bothering me.  My hands hurt at times, too, but then again, I have arthritis also.

I take different doses different days but it doesn't always correspond to that.  Frankly, I'd not change a dose without clarification from my MD, but of course you have to do what works for you.

I've had thyroid disease most of my life.  It's not what the unaffected think it is.  I know.  Best of wellness to you, in getting things sorted out.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It is only for another day or 2 at the most. She wasn't in her office on Sat and isn't today either, and by tomorrow they should have the test results back

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

All at once it seems my voice is raspy, and lower, and the small bones in my hands a feet hurt a lot. I can hardly make a fist

I checked on the thyroid website and confirmed low thyroid function  will do this. I had a blood test last Fri and am waiting for the results to come back

I increased my  dose ,to what it was before it was reduced..When the results come in ,I will call my Dr  and talk to her. I just don't want to get worse while I am waiting for test results...my hands will get so stiff I can hardly type, if it goes on for even a bit longer

I hope you are felling better soon and I’d like to thank you for bringing hand and bone pain asa symptom of thyroid disease to my attention. This is new information to me. Upon reading your post, I did more research and learned of the many symptoms that can accompany thyroid disease. I had no clue. Thank you and be well.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  thank you. I do feel better now. The pain and stiffness is almost gone, my voice is still the same, but ,I think the hormone is working better

My PCP told me on Fri ,when she tested me, to resume my former dose ,until I could reach my endo...I hope this isn't going to be a dance I must do very often

Honored Contributor

I had my Thyroid removed a few years ago.  Once every 6 months I get texted to make sure I’m taking enough supplement.

My youngest daughter had 1/2 of her’s removed about 1 1/2 years ago.  She had a goiter inside her face the size of an orange.  You would never know.  Nothing showed on the outside.  She’s very active.  She said after it was removed and she went hiking, it was amazing how much better she could breathe.

The Dr didn’t remove her entire thyroid because she was in her mid thirties and she might want to have a baby.  Leaving some of her thyroid would make it easier.

There’s a lot to getting thyroid operated.  It’s near voice box so our voices were ‘mapped out’ before and after operation.

A lot of people take thyroid medicine.  Everyone I know and meet takes Synthroid.  Just make sure you really need it before you take it.

I had 3 tests done before I had my thyroid removed.  The test to see if it’s working is a simple blood test.  The test to see if it needs removal is way more involved ( they take a tiny sample).

Good luck and please come back and let us know how you are doing.  We will all be thinking of you.😀

Respected Contributor

An Endocrinologist is the person you should see, she knows more about thyroid than a PCP. Been there done that, and so glad I did. She will probably have your thyroid scanned with a nuclear scanner, and you and she will know what's in your future. I'm saying she because mine is a she.Good luck, thyroids are touchy, and need to be just right in the medication. And yes, I know the raspy voice.

Honored Contributor

Honestly ,I have taken my old dose of Armour for 3 days now, and suddenly ,I feel like I have had a stiff drink, or a tranquilizer. I am so relaxed. I never knew it could do this

I will call my Dr tomorrow ,when she is back in her office, and talk to her, and go in if she wants me to

I am going to test my blood sugar and see what it reads

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My input is...diet overhaul.

My thyroid started getting hypo around 10yrs ago.

Lots of stress =

working out anaerobically too often =

beginning of menopause =

increase cortisol =

increased processed foods =

returned to eating cheese & high amts of fat =

higher cholesterol levels....

I was a mess.

I started at 100mcg 8-9yrs ago & today I’m down to 25mcg.

Changes of medication takes my body a good 4-6 months to 

adjust so reduction of medication has been slow.

I’ve reduced my stress, calmed down my workouts and

the most important part...cleaned up my diet.

Eating low fat, plant based naturally reduces the internal inflammation,

which is imperative for relief of constipation, lethargy, weight gain

and higher cholesterol levels which are common hypo symptoms. 

Foods to reduce internal inflammation should be the first thing

anyone with hypothyroidism should master...and a diet 

low in fats, not processed & plants are perfect to reduce that

inflammation.  Regardless of meds or not, diet plays a HUGE part

with internal inflammation...and the body will fight back if 

not addressed.