Respected Contributor

Re: I think my iPad is hurting my hands. Anyone else?

Another vote for Flippy.  My iPad was starting to hurt my right hand (the one I hold it with).  I got the Flippy a few weeks ago and it’s made a big difference.  I use it each time I use my iPad now.

Honored Contributor

Looks like the pillow pad is about half the price of the Flippy.

I had an iPad that I gave to my husband since I found it a bit annoying to use.  The only devices that I hold are my iphone plus & new Kindle e-reader which is small & very light.

I have a big desk top for when I work and when surfing the web & portability I use my 11" MacBook Air.  It's small, lightweight but since it's a laptop the screen stands up unlike a tablet.  I place it on either a table or a pillow on my lap when using it.

It's old and when it goes I'll probably replace it with something just as small but less expensive like a Chromebook rather than another tablet.

Honored Contributor

For years,  I've used tablets exclusively and have always used devices made by Lapworks from Amazon

I have arthritis in my hands and fingers but holding a tablet with these devices is effortless and painless, even if using for hours.  They easily swivel to use horizontally or vertically.  I could not use a tablet without it.

20190825_104724.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I use my mini IPad when I use an IPad--mostly for reading, checking mail and weather.  I love that Mini!  Hubby uses his and never picks up a big IPad now. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mindy D     yes. I had a thread here about having tendon issues on the side of my wrist up to my thumb on my left hand.  It has been painful for over a week now and I have a brace on to help me keep it from bending while it hopefully heals.

I know it is most likely from holding my i Pad in my left hand between the thumb and finger when laying down.   I also have bad wrists... and arthritis in my wrists so I am more likely to have pain.  

Having to stay more conscious of how I lift things and not holding the ipad as before... 

As I was researching trigger finger and over use disorders I ran across this. If your condition should worsen, this might help.

”A study examined injections of triamcinolone for de Quervain tenosynovitis and found

an 89% efficacy rate for the drug. [30] In this report, patients could receive a maximum of three injections 2 weeks apart. A favorable result was measured by a questionnaire indicating no disruption in daily life.”

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I agree. Been using one similar to the pictured, EZ-Grip, ever since I started using our 7" tablet. Been using a 10.1 for years now, Android now, and no issues.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

It doesn’t fold.  It is extremely light and I usually tuck it under the parson table by my chair.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee @dooBdoo I have the original iPad pillow from Amazon.  I am in Canada,  I had it delivered to my nephew’s address in NJ and my sister brought it home for me.

Here in Canada, you can buy them at the Dollar Store for $4.  I bought them for all my family members.  See photo below for Dollar Store version.  Love them!  LM

CF77DCC2-1A9E-43C5-86AC-0ECA7B65E99F.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I bought this Lamicall Tablet Stand from Amazon for about $15 or so awhile back & really like it.  You can adjust the angle to what works for you:

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mindy D     yes. I had a thread here about having tendon issues on the side of my wrist up to my thumb on my left hand.  It has been painful for over a week now and I have a brace on to help me keep it from bending while it hopefully heals.

I know it is most likely from holding my i Pad in my left hand between the thumb and finger when laying down.   I also have bad wrists... and arthritis in my wrists so I am more likely to have pain.  

Having to stay more conscious of how I lift things and not holding the ipad as before... 

I hold my iPad the exact same way as you do while lying down. Is your iPad full sized?

@Mindy D   Yes. Just the regular sized one .  What I am doing now is NOT  PUTTING THE IPad in between my thumb and index finger.  I  now am balancing The ipad on top of my thumb with my thumb bent down. It has been about a week and although it still hurts and I am wearing a wrist brace....it feels better.