Honored Contributor

Re: I think my iPad is hurting my hands. Anyone else?

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have the Pro case I think it’s called. Where the cover folds and it can stand with me just using my thumb so it won’t tip or I have it in my lap while I sit. Works for me, never had any finger problems and I have been using one since they first came out. Wouldn’t be without my IPad. Haven’t used a desktop in years.

I recline, rather than sit, when I’m using my iPad. I have a stand inside the Otter Defender outer case as well, but it’s only useful if I’m sitting up.

Super Contributor

@Mindy D, I, also, wanted to say that if you don’t take your iPad out with you often, the Otterbox case does add some weight and heft to your iPad. If you just use it at home, maybe a lighter case would help. If you do take it when you’re out, then the Otterbox definitely helps protect it. 

Honored Contributor

@Toot1920 wrote:

@Mindy D, I, also, wanted to say that if you don’t take your iPad out with you often, the Otterbox case does add some weight and heft to your iPad. If you just use it at home, maybe a lighter case would help. If you do take it when you’re out, then the Otterbox definitely helps protect it. 

Thanks Terri. I only use the silicon part of the case. I need it to prot3ct the iPad if I drop it. I’m considering removing it though. It does add weight. I’m also considering getting a mini and using this for everyday and using my larger iPad for watching TV and Netflix.

Honored Contributor

Mindy, I don’t have that problem but I can recommend a supplement that may help your trigger finger. It is a form of B-6 called P-5-P. I had trigger thumb and taking this supplement completely eliminated the problem. You can do a google search on the subject and find lost of good info.

Rethinking how you use your iPad may also be a good idea. Maybe research how to use it more ergonomically. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mindy D     yes. I had a thread here about having tendon issues on the side of my wrist up to my thumb on my left hand.  It has been painful for over a week now and I have a brace on to help me keep it from bending while it hopefully heals.

I know it is most likely from holding my i Pad in my left hand between the thumb and finger when laying down.   I also have bad wrists... and arthritis in my wrists so I am more likely to have pain.  

Having to stay more conscious of how I lift things and not holding the ipad as before... 

I hold my iPad the exact same way as you do while lying down. Is your iPad full sized?

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Mindy, I don’t have that problem but I can recommend a supplement that may help your trigger finger. It is a form of B-6 called P-5-P. I had trigger thumb and taking this supplement completely eliminated the problem. You can do a google search on the subject and find lost of good info.

Rethinking how you use your iPad may also be a good idea. Maybe research how to use it more ergonomically. 

Thanks for the tip. I lwill look into this. I just found a great article on this supplement. It might interest you. It’s at the website “SelfHacked” and it’s entitled 

Super Contributor

I had developed  pain in my neck and bad posture from viewing the ipad. I purchased a laptop and my neck feels a lot better and my husband says i don't walk like a turtle anymore.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D , There are many adjustable tablet holders on Amazon, I bought mine so long ago, I don’t remember which one I selected, but it works very well. Check them out.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Mindy D 

I found “ Pillow Pad “ at BB&B last week.  It has 3 different areas for hold different size devices.  Comfortably holds my iPad at a great viewing height.  My iPad is in a holder case and can stand on its own but I found this triangular pillow to be better.  It is extremely lightweight, has a removable zippered cover and is about $19 before coupon is applied.

F0C52407-40FE-472B-A1AE-B0069A9E58C5.jpegHTH

I have the same type of thing, called a Flippy.  I needed mine quickly so I bought from Amazon.  The BBB version is cheaper.  I’ve tried othe support type things and like my Flippy the best. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D,  I use my iPad 6 (9.4 x 6.6 x 0.29) a lot and I've been fortunate that so far it hasn't hurt my hands, but last year I decided to find something to make it more comfortable to hold.   I posted a thread in the Electronics sub-forum, and I'll add the link here in case you want to look at the recommendations:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Electronics/iPad-hand-grip-strap-holder-band-thingy/td-p/4810427

Several posters were so kind to offer suggestions.   In September, I finally decided on the "Universal Tablet Hand Strap Holder, Joylink 360 Degrees Swivel Leather Handle Grip with Elastic Belt" (found it on Amazon for about $14), similar to one that @Kachina624 recommended.   I don't use a case with my iPad, so I don't know how or if that would work with yours.   I really do like it, and I can slide my hand in different ways or hold onto the strap, so I don't have to have the same position or grip every time.   

C9E4300E-A2B6-436E-A038-5692D59EB370.jpeg

I didn't bump the Electronics thread to add an update, but in April I looked back at the thread and also decided to buy the Flippy (type of stand @OKPrincess and @Lilysmom recommended) to have another option and it's been a good alternative.    I wish you well in your search.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova