Super Contributor

Re: I think I'm going to drown in my post-nasal drip

@PuppyLoverBob666 

You mentioned that you tried Zyrtec but it sounds like it didn't help much. Have you tried any other OTC allergy medications? I know from personal experience not all OTC allergy medications work equally well for everyone. Zyrtec (generic) works really well for me but Claritin, Allegra and Benadryl weren't very effective.

Its not surprising that your oxycodone helps calm your cough. Many opioids are known to also dampen/inhibit the cough reflex.  There is a prescription cough medication that contains the opioid codiene that I was prescribed many, many years ago. 

There is another medication, dextromethorphan, that also helps suppress the cough reflex. It is not an opioid.  It is available in OTC cough medications. If you've not tried it before, perhaps ask your doctor or pharmacist if it is right for you. There might be health or medication contraindications associated with it so make sure you look into those first.

It might be worth a trip to an allergist to see if they can help you sort out your post nasal drip and related cough issues and find a more effective treatment plan. I wish you the best in getting some answers to your problem and especially some relief!

Super Contributor

Have you tried a Netti Pot with saline rinse or a nasal irrigation device? I use my netti pot every night to clear everything out! My nasal passages get very dry in the winter so it provides some relief in addition to the cleansing.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Love orchids wrote:

@Zhills   What symptoms did you have that indicated you were allergic to BAK?  

Actually, no symptoms, just did not work for the nasal drip associated with a sinus infection.

The symptoms I was treating actually got worse using both medications.

Esteemed Contributor

Check out Colloidal Silver.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Our clean air machine has finally worn out. Am in the market for a new one...what do you use? The humidifier really helps during the night. We seem to be going into the height of the cold and flu season, in addition to allergy season in many areas and then the newest variant. Hard to really know what's at play if you start feeling poorly. Isolate, treat your symptoms, and call your dr if you don't start feeling better in several days or so. The dr's advice seems to be the same, no matter what you are dealing with.

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 I tested positive last Friday for covid,and sneezing,slight cough and a horrible awful runny nose were my symptoms. All along,I thought this was a bad headcold.boy was I ever wrong.i guess I'm luckier than most,be cause it could have been alot worse.and yes,I've had all 3 jabs!

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

Hope you get to feeling better, and I say the same thing regardless of "jabs" or no "jabs".

hckynut(john)🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Our clean air machine has finally worn out. Am in the market for a new one...what do you use? The humidifier really helps during the night. We seem to be going into the height of the cold and flu season, in addition to allergy season in many areas and then the newest variant. Hard to really know what's at play if you start feeling poorly. Isolate, treat your symptoms, and call your dr if you don't start feeling better in several days or so. The dr's advice seems to be the same, no matter what you are dealing with.

I have a Honeywell machine.