Frequent Contributor

Re: I started the strict FODMAP diet today for SIBO

Aspengrove- Thanks so much for this info!  I found 1 in my city & several Integrative Med docs an hour from here.  If the head of GI at  Johns  Hopkins can't help me, I will surely follow your advice.

Again, my thanks ☺

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suebdoo wrote:

@AspenGrove curious about what foods ended up being the trigger foods.

hi @Suebdoo - so, there were about 25 foods on my list that showed mild to moderate triggers of inflammation. My doc told me that some people have double the amount I had, so I was lucky.  Almost all of them are shown as "safe to eat" on the FODMAP diet. Interesting, huh?   So, my list included such foods as soy, peas, artichokes, yellow squash, tuna, tea (all kinds), some spices, and all kinds of sugar (cane, beet, honey) except for maple syrup.  And on and on!   By eliminating what my own white blood cells showed as triggers, it's clearly made a massive difference for my body. It's been night and day for me. Yay for that!   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tulips wrote:

Aspengrove- Thanks so much for this info!  I found 1 in my city & several Integrative Med docs an hour from here.  If the head of GI at  Johns  Hopkins can't help me, I will surely follow your advice.

Again, my thanks ☺

@tulips - My pleasure!  

Trusted Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Suebdoo wrote:

@AspenGrove curious about what foods ended up being the trigger foods.

hi @Suebdoo - so, there were about 25 foods on my list that showed mild to moderate triggers of inflammation. My doc told me that some people have double the amount I had, so I was lucky.  Almost all of them are shown as "safe to eat" on the FODMAP diet. Interesting, huh?   So, my list included such foods as soy, peas, artichokes, yellow squash, tuna, tea (all kinds), some spices, and all kinds of sugar (cane, beet, honey) except for maple syrup.  And on and on!   By eliminating what my own white blood cells showed as triggers, it's clearly made a massive difference for my body. It's been night and day for me. Yay for that!   

@AspenGrove thanks!  I'm going to mention this to my GI next appt. I'll contact the company that is on the website you gave us and see what I would need to have it done.  I'm so happy for you that this has helped you by knowing what to eliminate😁

Honored Contributor

Went to my gastro doc yesterday.  We discussed a lot about my digestion issues.  I returned the unopened Xifaxan that he had given to me as samples.  He went through some other alternatives that "might" work.  But he was obviously just grasping at straws and throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick (and we acknowledged and laughed at that). 

I asked him to instead refer me to a nutritionist/dietitian and he readily agreed that sometimes it's better to do nothing (medicine-wise).  He even said his wife has made negative remarks to him that "a patient walks in and you always give him/her a pill."  I laughed hard at that and so did he (kinda sheepishly).  We talked about how patients feel cheated if they don't walk out with a prescription.  (That's not me.)

I had printed out four diets, all recommending different foods, and forbidding others, none of them even coming close to matching.  He then gave me a referral to a dietitian who is close by, said he knows her very well and we are going to try to solve my issues with diet.  He said she is very good and will figure it all out.

I left feeling so relieved.  My doc and I had talked as the friends we are . . . he was at a loss and he admitted it.  I didn't even make another appointment and said if anything new happens (including good stuff) I would call him and let him know.  I will call the dietitian Monday and make an appointment.

My doctor is a Tay-Sachs carrier and I noticed he was wearing support stockings yesterday.  He had told me at my last visit that this was just diagnosed.  Fortunately, both of his wives (ex and current) are Italian, so it didn't affect his children.  To pass it down, both parents have to be Jewish. 

He gave me a hug, as always, and I left feeling so hopeful.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@bichon mom wrote:

Aspengrove, thanks fr the info you provided.  I will have t run it by my GI dr too.  Very interesting!  Do you have SIBO too??

Lilac Tree, somehow my GI dr managed to get Xifaxan to me for free , delivered to my dr.  Not really feeling much diferent after Round 1.

@bichon mom

As I may have mentioned, I took four days of Xifaxan and then on the fifth morning, had extreme cramps and nausea.  As indicated in my other post this morning, I returned the rest of the samples to my gastro doc yesterday.  The rest of that post will explain where I'm going from here.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

This entire conversation has been so helpful to me. Thank you, each one of you.  I hope we all find just the right 

help we are looking for. 

Honored Contributor

Going to try a naturopath.  Appt. July 6.  Depending on what happens there, next will be the dietitian.  Cost over $250, no insurance available as they are not recognized in the State of NJ as real doctors.

I will see right through her if I think she's a quack.  But since no one else has been able to help me, one more will make no difference.

Formerly Ford1224