Honored Contributor

I started Medicare today

[ Edited ]

For some reason, it's made me a little wistful. Where did all those years go?

Years of employer provided health insurance and at the stroke of midnight it was gone forever.  A life change.   I woke up shortly after midnight last night and it immediately popped into my mind.  I had even posted about it on Facebook yesterday. 

Anyway, so thankful that I lived this long and I think I picked a great supplement and I'm thankful for the coverage.  

It feels weird to get rid of my old insurance card, which I'm not going to do for awhile. I have no idea why. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

Re: I started Medicare today

That will be me next June. I'm already looking at all the supplements. I find it very confusing.

Super Contributor

Best advice I was given is....If you are happy with your current carrier ....Stay with them....and take the highest possible coverage....

Has worked fine for us...

Honored Contributor

We were able to keep DH's medical plan as a secondary, so its working well for both of us 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I was thrilled to go on Medicare a year ago!  Before that for several years it was the "Affordable Care Act" (HA HA!) which cost me almost $1,000.00 a month!  HUGE difference now!

Honored Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Best advice I was given is....If you are happy with your current carrier ....Stay with them....and take the highest possible coverage....

Has worked fine for us...

@ProudMa - that's exactly what I did.  Blue Cross of GA/Anthem, Plan G.  On those decisions, I knew exactly what I wanted. Blue Cross has worked well for me for years and years. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I started Medicare this year too.  It does feel weird...........  

And like you I am so very thankful I have lived this long and am healthy enough to get along!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

When my husband went on medicare it was the first time ever either of us have had to pay for health care.  NOT happy.  He is retired (was) sorry, he passed away 3 weeks ago, so our health insurance was always free.  His military insurance was his supplement which didn't cost us anything.  I am still covered under hismilitary insurance until I turn 65 when I too am stuck paying for it.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Yup, felt like I won the lottery.

Honored Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

When my husband went on medicare it was the first time ever either of us have had to pay for health care.  NOT happy.  He is retired (was) sorry, he passed away 3 weeks ago, so our health insurance was always free.  His military insurance was his supplement which didn't cost us anything.  I am still covered under hismilitary insurance until I turn 65 when I too am stuck paying for it.

@Miss Pepsi - My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your husband. I am so sorry. I lost mine also recently, in mid July.  Lots of life changes for both of us.