Honored Contributor

Re: I saw a man at the grocery store using one of those scooters

@Shaunac wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

He probably did drive but wasn't supposed to. I would have to as I'm single and all my peers work.

Seriously - how could you drive with your rt foot in a huge cast?

@151949

Why couldn't he drive with his left foot?

@Shaunac  Huh???  You can brake with your left foot but getting your left foot over to the gas pedal would be impossible. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

I should check, is the OP posting about the knee scooters or the scooters that you sit down and drive?

@saltysails.  I'm with you; I have no idea what she's talking about.  Some people haven't learned that one picture is worth 1,000 words.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

I should check, is the OP posting about the knee scooters or the scooters that you sit down and drive?

@saltysails.  I'm with you; I have no idea what she's talking about.  Some people haven't learned that one picture is worth 1,000 words.

Someone did post a picture and the OP is talking about knee scooter.

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

He probably did drive but wasn't supposed to. I would have to as I'm single and all my peers work.

@151949

@Shaunac  Huh???  You can brake with your left foot but getting your left foot over to the gas pedal would be impossible. 

@Cakers3

Not impossible.  

A friend of mine does not have a right foot and drives with his left foot.  

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine needs foot surgery this year, she has RA and all the therapy & shots are finally not working.

She told me she may give one of those scooters a chance.   But she's like me, not real coordinated.   I think she was told to stay off her foot for 6 weeks.    Totally OFF.  But I think they would approve the scooter.

Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@151949

@Cakers3

Not impossible.  

I've tried it.  I can't remember why, but maybe just to test something I'd read somewhere.  Not easy at first, but doable.  Of course, it has to be an automatic transmission, not manual.  I couldn't do it in my manual transmission car.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@151949

@Cakers3

Not impossible.  

@Shaunac  The issue was driving with your left foot because your right foot is in a huge cast which could be in the way.  Driving with the left foot because one is missing a right foot is a different scenario.

That was what I was responding to-the cast on the right foot would certainly deter the left foot being able to reach the gas pedal.

And not all cars are created equal-that is why there are modified cars with specific controls for specific disabilities. 

Your friend is fortunate that his car allows him to drive with his left foot but not everyone could do so-especially with a large cast.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone at WW had one of those on for a few weeks.  Wonder about balancing ...

Maybe the vehicle she drove, was like the handicapped have. Buttons. ????

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@151949

@Cakers3

Not impossible.  

@Shaunac  The issue was driving with your left foot because your right foot is in a huge cast which could be in the way.  Driving with the left foot because one is missing a right foot is a different scenario.

That was what I was responding to-the cast on the right foot would certainly deter the left foot being able to reach the gas pedal.

And not all cars are created equal-that is why there are modified cars with specific controls for specific disabilities. 

Your friend is fortunate that his car allows him to drive with his left foot but not everyone could do so-especially with a large cast.

He probably has a car specially modified for his handicapp.

Respected Contributor

20 years ago I broke a bone in my right foot while visiting Cocoa Beach and Orlando for the day. Visiting a friend who went to CB for a wedding and had to take her to the airport to head back to LA where she lived. We were walking in a hotel parking lot and I was helping with her luggage and I stepped on the side of a big pothole and snapped the end of a bone. She had to drive my rental car to orlando...meanwhile my foot ballooned up a pain got worse. I had to drive back to Sarasota and THEN drive my STICKSHIFT home and to the emergency room. I had to drive myself to ortho next morning and get casted. Then continued to drive my sticksft daily with my right foot in a cast. A single girl has got to work...you find a way. Luckily I had a sit down job. How did I drive a stickshift with a right foot casted ? VERY carefully!