Honored Contributor

Re: I saw a man at the grocery store using one of those scooters

@Cakers3 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Yes, that's why stores have them.  They are a courtesy for people who have mobility problems and can't walk up and down the aisle of big stores.  

@chrystaltreeI think she means this type-I've never seen these in any stores.  Just the sit down type.

Image result for one legged scooter

You're right, that's the device she was referring too.  There's a guy in my town who uses one these and I've seen him hook his bags at the front and do his shopping.  I always wonder how he manages it all, he must be extremely well coordinated.  

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

He probably did drive but wasn't supposed to. I would have to as I'm single and all my peers work.

Seriously - how could you drive with your rt foot in a huge cast?

@151949

Why couldn't he drive with his left foot?

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

He probably did drive but wasn't supposed to. I would have to as I'm single and all my peers work.

Huge cast or removable boot like pictured?  I had the boot last year, I wore it all the time except while driving.  We do what we have to do.  I wasn't about to sit home for 6 weeks because of it.  But a huge cast?  No, couldn't drive with that.

You always come through, @Mj12 

"We do what we have to do."  So true.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

The guy I saw had hooked a bicycle basket to the front.

Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@151949

Why couldn't he drive with his left foot?

That doesn't even deserve an answer.

Honored Contributor

@151949  You’ve mentioned a few falls, right?  Did you think your ankle Was a contributing factor?

Honored Contributor

I had my foot/ankle fusion done by a doctor who does nothing else but that surgery. When you go to his office there are always many patients  and a very long wait. I talked to many many people there as I had to see him every 2 weeks for 4 months, then every month thru rehab. All those who complained about not having a great result from their surgery had in common one important thing -- they didn't follow instructions post op. Didn't wear the boot as instructed, put weight on the foot, wore the cast in the shower and got it all soft &wet, or just stupidly walked on the foot.One woman I met had cut the cast open so she could take a bath, then tried to put it back on. To a person - the ones who ended up needing a second surgery all thought they knew better than the doctor.

Even a great surgeon can't fix stupid.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@151949  You’ve mentioned a few falls, right?  Did you think your ankle Was a contributing factor?

My original fall occurred because it was storming badly  in the middle of the night. Rain was blowing in thru the open door so I went to go out to unlatch the door outside & close it. I stepped onto the step and it was wet and very slippery and next thing I knew I was bouncing down those steps , hit the concrtete patio and bounced across it to the grass. My second fall was in our bathroom where my DH had gotten water on the tile floor. I don't think it was my ankle's fault either time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Huge cast or removable boot like pictured?  I had the boot last year, I wore it all the time except while driving.  We do what we have to do.  I wasn't about to sit home for 6 weeks because of it.  But a huge cast?  No, couldn't drive with that.

Did it not occur to you the reason for the boot could be to prevent you from flexing and extending the foot? Not to mention the pressure you put on when you press the brake.

SMH.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

My original fall occurred because it was storming badly  in the middle of the night. Rain was blowing in thru the open door so I went to go out to unlatch the door outside & close it. I stepped onto the step and it was wet and very slippery and next thing I knew I was bouncing down those steps , hit the concrtete patio and bounced across it to the grass. My second fall was in our bathroom where my DH had gotten water on the tile floor. I don't think it was my ankle's fault either time.

That first fall is the stuff of my nightmares☹️

Every other joint in my body is affected by arthritis, including my toes, but so far my ankles are okay.