Honored Contributor

Re: I "cured" my own plantar fasciitis

Sure feel for you @pupwhipped . I often wondered what I would have done it it was in both feet at the same time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

I am happy for you and hope the relief lasts a long time. These exercises, and icing often, are pretty much what I was doing back in the early 1980's. Used to take an Igloo cooler to work with 6oz. cups of ice I froze in the freezer.

Iced my feet at Breaks and Lunch time. But!  I did not quit running, ever, because of my PF. I knew it might heal quicker if I stopped running for a couple weeks, but when running it didn't hurt, just the rest of the hours in the day.

Still was ice skating(Ref in hockey), but in ice skates your toes do not flex, so no strain on the Planter Fascia. That part was nice, but getting hit with hard pucks and an occasional arrant hockey stick. Much different for sure.

Glad you are back walking.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

To all the posters here I have done ALL the suggestions posted to no avail.  I have vionic house shoes that I put on from the 1st steps out of bed in the morning.  I also never just get up out of bed....I first lay on my back....then flex my feet up right for a few minutes...this helps alot..saw that mentioned on one of the many you tube videos I watched in the past yr.  As you sleep at night your foot natural points downward and if you just jump up out of bed (1st flexion hitting the floor with your weight) then it's even worse!  I basically wear my vionic's all day in and out of the home.  My professionally made orthotics made my pain and inflammation so bad!  They are horrible....wasted almost $300 on those.....took me months to recover from trying to wear them just in my home.  I finally gave up and only use vionics and their inserts for support in my tennis shoes.

I will look into that video suggestion @Nightowlz posted Dr. Berg....I have watched some of his before perhaps he's got suggestions on stretching I haven't tried yet.  

Also tried sleeping with that boot thing and the sock one....it's hard to sleep with those things on at night but I tried for weeks....didn't help me.

I wish the OP would return and share her videos.

@tsavorite 

Did you check out that video yet? I have been doing what they showed yesterday & found myself doing it last night while I was sleeping. I kept rolling over on my stomach & curled my toes & pressed down. Should be doing the same thing they showed on the video except they were sitting on their heels or pulling their toes up. At any rate it really works. My foot feels so much better already just doing this 2 days now. It still hurts but not like it did. 

I'm going to keep doing this to see what happens.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Never go barefoot  and never never wear flat shoes. I have had the best results wearing Clark's cloud steppers. I also ordered a wooden roller foot massager that I roll my foot over. It helps break up the inflamation and scar tissue. Another piece of advice and i know this is hard for those who regularly exercise. You probably will have to give up walking and running until the foot heals. Try bike riding. If you don't lay off the walking it will never heal. It tkes a long time. 

@50Mickey 

I'm not going to stop walking. I need the exercise.  I read online it said to keep walking? I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. If I cannot make the 4 miles I will stop. Last week I walked every day since I was not able to get in my 4 miles each day for 5 days but walked the same amout last week doing it daily instead. 

I'm going to keep doing the exercise from the video I found on Youtube yesterday since it seems to be working for me.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

The stretching exercises can help bring relief from acute pain, but to permanently resolve the issue, you need to address your footwear.  Having ample arch support in all shoes will take most of the stress off the heel area.  Birkenstocks have worked well for me.  The Vionics had too high of an arch for my flat feet, and I couldn't wear them at all (felt like I was walking on a boulder).

I learned to never ever go barefoot for more than about ten steps; I have a pair of Birk knockoffs (Calceo) that I wear around the house like slippers.  I actually love the inexpensive Calceos more than the Birks because they are softer and more flexible, and they are around $30.

@2blonde 

I'm with you on the Vionics. I bought several pair only to find out the arches felt too high for me. What a waste of money. They make my back hurt. I'm sticking with Birkenstock. Alegria did not work for me either.

I bought a pair of Walking Cradles that have a really soft footbed. They are comfy & I can wear these also.

Image result for walking cradles sandals

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz   Oooooh those look nice and soft.  It's hard to find soft and arch support together.......thanks for the info!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Nightowlz   Oooooh those look nice and soft.  It's hard to find soft and arch support together.......thanks for the info!

@2blonde 

At the end of the day after walking I look forward to putting my feet in those soft footbed Walking Cradles.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

To all the posters here I have done ALL the suggestions posted to no avail.  I have vionic house shoes that I put on from the 1st steps out of bed in the morning.  I also never just get up out of bed....I first lay on my back....then flex my feet up right for a few minutes...this helps alot..saw that mentioned on one of the many you tube videos I watched in the past yr.  As you sleep at night your foot natural points downward and if you just jump up out of bed (1st flexion hitting the floor with your weight) then it's even worse!  I basically wear my vionic's all day in and out of the home.  My professionally made orthotics made my pain and inflammation so bad!  They are horrible....wasted almost $300 on those.....took me months to recover from trying to wear them just in my home.  I finally gave up and only use vionics and their inserts for support in my tennis shoes.

I will look into that video suggestion @Nightowlz posted Dr. Berg....I have watched some of his before perhaps he's got suggestions on stretching I haven't tried yet.  

Also tried sleeping with that boot thing and the sock one....it's hard to sleep with those things on at night but I tried for weeks....didn't help me.

@tsavorite 

Did you check out that video yet? I have been doing what they showed yesterday & found myself doing it last night while I was sleeping. I kept rolling over on my stomach & curled my toes & pressed down. Should be doing the same thing they showed on the video except they were sitting on their heels or pulling their toes up. At any rate it really works. My foot feels so much better already just doing this 2 days now. It still hurts but not like it did. 

@Nightowlz I must have linked the wrong video....what your describing doing in bed doesn't seem to match what Dr. Berg is showing in that 1 min video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXdlPuKfyXs

I did try what the video link I posted shows....the part where he sits on the table...but I was already doing that.  I will try it out again.  If the link I posted is not what your referring to let me know please.

And where is the OP?  I am bummed she never came back and shared what she did.

@depglass 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@tsavorite 

@Nightowlz I must have linked the wrong video....what your describing doing in bed doesn't seem to match what Dr. Berg is showing in that 1 min video.

I did try what the video link I posted shows....the part where he sits on the table...but I was already doing that.  I will try it out again.  If the link I posted is not what your referring to let me know please.

@depglass 

@tsavorite 

Yes that's it. I figured I was still doing the same thing in bed since I curl my toes up & press down on them making them stretch up which to me is the same as I was sitting there pulling my toes up towards me stretching the top of foot up into the shin area.

At any rate just sitting here grabing my toes pulling them up stretching them up towards me has helped. I'm going to keep doing it. I was stretching the calf muscle since I thought that's what I was suppose to do. It also helped but not like this exercise.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@tsavorite 

@depglass 

@tsavorite 

Yes that's it. I figured I was still doing the same thing in bed since I curl my toes up & press down on them making them stretch up which to me is the same as I was sitting there pulling my toes up towards me stretching the top of foot up into the shin area.

At any rate just sitting here grabing my toes pulling them up stretching them up towards me has helped. I'm going to keep doing it. I was stretching the calf muscle since I thought that's what I was suppose to do. It also helped but not like this exercise.

@Nightowlz  I am still confused...Dr. Berg is pushing his toes and foot down....you said your pulling your toes up toward you?? that would be the opposite....he said that's what everyone else is doing and it's bad LOL!!  Tell my PT people that LOL! 

Edit: ok just did what he did in video....I can feel it in my shins....I think I just mixed up what your saying your doing.  I will keep trying this way which is the opposite of what I had been told to do which is stretch calf muscles.