Honored Contributor

Re: I "cured" my own plantar fasciitis

[ Edited ]

Wish mine would go away. This is the 3rd time I have had it & the longest I have had it.

I still continue trying to get in 4 miles at least 5 days per week. By the end of the day my heel is throbbing & hurts so bad. I have to do some stretches at the end of the day to help with the pain. I also use ice & a back/neck shiatsu massager I throw on the floor. It feels really good.

I hate that I can no longer walk barefoot but the older I get the more my feet hurt.

I searched Plantar Fasciitis & Youtube & found one by Dr. Berg that shows stretching the opposite. He's stretching the top of the foot up in the shin muslcle. Said not to stretch the calf which is what I have been doing? Go watch the video just search The Instant Cure for Plantar Fasciitis. Guess I need to try this.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The stretching exercises can help bring relief from acute pain, but to permanently resolve the issue, you need to address your footwear.  Having ample arch support in all shoes will take most of the stress off the heel area.  Birkenstocks have worked well for me.  The Vionics had too high of an arch for my flat feet, and I couldn't wear them at all (felt like I was walking on a boulder).

I learned to never ever go barefoot for more than about ten steps; I have a pair of Birk knockoffs (Calceo) that I wear around the house like slippers.  I actually love the inexpensive Calceos more than the Birks because they are softer and more flexible, and they are around $30.

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@topcat10 wrote:

Yep, same here.....stretching exercises w/a towel, ice pack and no walking around barefoot anymore is what helped me....I wear cheap slip on sneakers from walmart and wear around the house because regular slippers just do not give me the support/comfort I need....that heel pain first thing in the morning is no joke - glad you found relief!

@topcat10   I wear Vionic slippers which offer arch support.  In the summer when it's too hot for slippers I'll wear Vionic flip flops.  I have a few pair that I only wear around the house.  Yes they are more expensive but for me arch support is a major factor in keep plantar fascitis away.

GIRL!....I've been thinking about buying a pair of Vionic shoes.....the first time I experienced heel pain was a few years ago and it was AWFUL!....it went away after a few months....but within the last few months I have started to feel it again and I attribute it to walking around the house barefoot again....so you best believe my butt have shoes on in the house now because I do not want to go thru that again! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Birkenstock. And I never ever ever ever walk around barefoot. If I need to wear shoes that are not Birkenstock I make sure that they have arch supports or inserts.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Only time resolved mine. I limped around for a year.

Mine was a sad and looooong saga. I literally had this in both feet for TEN years. I well remember one time driving an hour to go shopping at a mall. I got out of my car, walked into and around Dillards for maybe fifteen minutes, then walked out into the mall to visit some other stores.....but I couldn't take one more step! I sat down on a bench and cried. Got up, got back in my car, and drove home. Woman Sad  

Honored Contributor

My DH also cured his the same way in a very short time, stretching is the key. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To all the posters here I have done ALL the suggestions posted to no avail.  I have vionic house shoes that I put on from the 1st steps out of bed in the morning.  I also never just get up out of bed....I first lay on my back....then flex my feet up right for a few minutes...this helps alot..saw that mentioned on one of the many you tube videos I watched in the past yr.  As you sleep at night your foot natural points downward and if you just jump up out of bed (1st flexion hitting the floor with your weight) then it's even worse!  I basically wear my vionic's all day in and out of the home.  My professionally made orthotics made my pain and inflammation so bad!  They are horrible....wasted almost $300 on those.....took me months to recover from trying to wear them just in my home.  I finally gave up and only use vionics and their inserts for support in my tennis shoes.

I will look into that video suggestion @Nightowlz posted Dr. Berg....I have watched some of his before perhaps he's got suggestions on stretching I haven't tried yet.  

Also tried sleeping with that boot thing and the sock one....it's hard to sleep with those things on at night but I tried for weeks....didn't help me.

I wish the OP would return and share her videos.

Respected Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXdlPuKfyXs

Here's the video I found....I have done this....after exercising...some times it's not a issue and sometimes it's uncomfortable.  

I asked my foot doc about stretching and he wouldn't give me any advice on it.  So I said what about the "drop heel" stretch you do at edge of stairs.  He said NO don't ever do that one...it's the worst!!  Heck PT had me doing that one!

That was about the most conversation I could get out of this doctor....couldn't take the drugs he put me on...Valtren (sp?) tore up my gut....tried 2 times no way.  Shots didn't work.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG  Me too. It has been 10 months and I wuld say it is 80% better. 

Respected Contributor

Never go barefoot  and never never wear flat shoes. I have had the best results wearing Clark's cloud steppers. I also ordered a wooden roller foot massager that I roll my foot over. It helps break up the inflamation and scar tissue. Another piece of advice and i know this is hard for those who regularly exercise. You probably will have to give up walking and running until the foot heals. Try bike riding. If you don't lay off the walking it will never heal. It tkes a long time.