Honored Contributor

Re: I only have to get my teeth cleaned, but I so dread the visit.

@Carmie wrote:

My six month cleaning and check up is coming this month too.  It seems that  the older I get, the faster time goes.

I don't mind going to the dentist and I have excellent teeth and gums.  I am in and out in no time at all.

Did you know that bad dental care is related to heart disease?  Inflammation of the gums can lead to a heart attack.  So, no matter how much you dread going, please do.  Good dental care can prolong your health and contribute to a longer life.

@Carmie, You are corrrect, I agree and that's why I go. My brother's throat cancer was found this way, and I did know, but forgot about the heart disease part of this. But I do agree, and we need to do this, no matter how much kicking and screaming is going on in our minds.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My six month cleaning and check up is coming this month too.  It seems that  the older I get, the faster time goes.

I don't mind going to the dentist and I have excellent teeth and gums.  I am in and out in no time at all.

Did you know that bad dental care is related to heart disease?  Inflammation of the gums can lead to a heart attack.  So, no matter how much you dread going, please do.  Good dental care can prolong your health and contribute to a longer life.

You are so right Carmie. I have noticed that as we age,  my friends with the best teeth ( and perhaps have been the most vigilant in their care ) are the healthiest.

My three relatives who have lost teeth and required ( or need) the most work are all diabetic.  My father was diabetic and had all his upper teeth removed from periodontal disease...he saw the Dentist regularly at least then.

Kind of like a mammogram...may not like to go but feel blessed relief when it is over.

One small point, because of TMJ I have slept with a bite guard for 30 years. Made at my dentist. I have had no crowns or root canals ( just fillings). I do think the bite guard protects my teeth from 8 or so hours of grinding and perhaps protects them from wearing down. Just my theory.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

The best was, in my younger days the dentist would administer nitrous oxide (laughing gas).  Not a care in the world while he drilled away.

I could not agree more.  Now I dread cleanings. (and I get 3 a year)  My teeth are super sensitive.  Then there's the fact that one of the hygienists mumbles non stop.

I'm the opposite; the hygienist I usually get is dead silent while she is cleaning my teeth and I wish she would TALK - about her kids, her dogs, her cats, anything! Something to distract me.

Respected Contributor

Had the cleaning done today.  Hygienist has been working with me for a few years now and as she was finishing said:  " You have come a long way baby. "

And, she was absolutely on the money.  The WaterPic and the Crest Rinse I put in the reservoir are the 2 best things I have done for my teeth since the planing and scaling.

Alleluia !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I have always said I would rather have a colonoscopy than get my teeth cleaned. I don't mind the dentist and myriad procedures she does, but keep that hygienist away from me! Actually, I've been using a JetPik (water pik with floss included in the water stream) for almost six months, so I'm looking forward (sort of) to my hygienist appt in Feb. I also do oil pulling.

@VIVIAN Florimond, Happy Birthday! As a three-time melanoma survivor, I know how happy each new birthday is when it rolls around! Kind of takes the sting out of teeth cleaning, no? God bless you on this day, and throughout the year ahead as you meet each day with grace and strength! Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack, please forgive the pun, but you absolutely crack me up by saying you'd rather have a colonoscopy than a dental cleaning!  I can't believe that, LOL LOL ..

I've a super duper hygenist & dentist.  It's always a hoot when I go for my cleanings- my hygenist is a Un. of Tennessee grad and the dentists are Georgia Bulldog grads so we talk football!

Sure makes a cleaning go by quick and easy.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and son share a dental practice.  I hate having my teeth cleaned.  I always have and I always will.

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

My husband and son share a dental practice.  I hate having my teeth cleaned.  I always have and I always will.

Ahhh, but @abbeythe 8th, you get free work, lol.  How great is that!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I have to call the dentist Monday. When brushing my teeth today a small piece of composite bonding came off a tooth.....bummer.... It is ALWAYS something with my teeth no matter how well I take care of them.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Well this post came at just the right time -- I had a dentist appt yesterday. Never dread going, and my dentist is a highly experienced prosthodontist who took care of both my parents as well.  He's not a "but wait, there's more" kind of guy -- just does what is necessary, prudent and keeps it real.

However, I went yesterday and got a bit of a scare. I had noticed that in the past 6 months a small gap has formed between my front teeth. I have a crown on one front tooth due to a bicycle accident when I was a kid. Anyway, this "Michal Strahan effect" was puzzling me (although the gap isn't that wide!) and I was concerned. Well, it is possible that I have vertical bone loss in the capped tooth -- there could be a weak point that has been there since the accident -- and eventually a bone graft and implant might be necessary. Then again, he said it may last for many more years but it will fail eventually. We just don't know. NOW I'm freaking!!!  My hygenist talked through the procedure with me to calm my fears, so at least I know what to expect IF I have to go that route.

I asked the dentist "Should I take calcium?" and he said it wouldn't help this situation. Well, I'm going to take it anyway!!!!!  I'm 58 and it's probably about time to up my game there...

My goodness you are 58 are your pcp doesn't have you taking daily calcium??????

"Pure Michigan"