Honored Contributor

Re: I only have to get my teeth cleaned, but I so dread the visit.

What always freaks me out is how they scrape with that (metal?) tool.  It seems to go on forever!  And I always ask if I had a lot of tartar buildup and the answer is always 'Nope'.  They why did it feel like you were going to crack my tooth in half?

The tiny round toothbrush when they clean your teeth afterwards always tickles and I have to really hold back from laughing.  It's not funny!!

Honored Contributor

@Vivian

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My father was a dentist. My nephew and my brother are dentists. In fact, I was my dentist's first patient, since he went to dental school with my brother and I met him at the graduation ceremony. He was opening a practice in my home town. Just this past fall, I became my dentist's last patient when he announced his retirement. I insisted that I be there to close the circle of his career. It was a tearful moment. I'm biased but dentists are great people (except for that awful lion hunter).

Seriously, though, your rational mind knows your fears are groundless but your gut tells you otherwise. Have you discussed this with your dentist? Believe me, they know about fears people have. Perhaps your doctor can prescribe a mild anti-anxiety medication for a few days to allay your uncomfortable feelings. Then there's always the grin-and-bear-it approach. I do that every time I have to see my dermatologist after having had melanoma, and my endocrinologist, after having had thyroid cancer. And after my best friend had breast cancer, I go for my mammogram with butterflies in my stomach...BUT I GO! Right now I'm fighting an intestinal MRSA bug that's a mystery to all my doctors. When they took an abdominal CT scan they found two small lesions on my spleen. Since I had melanoma, these probably-nothing findings have to be examined because there's a chance they could be something. I'm scared but I see the oncologist Friday. I called my family doctor and she prescribed a week's worth of Xanax to keep me calm, or at least calmer.

Today is my 69th birthday. If I've learned anything in those close to three-score-and-ten years, it's that we have to tackle our fears head-on...but get whatever help you can to see you through it...your health care provider, your friends, your church, meditation, cursing, or all of the above. If you do nothing and avoid taking care of your teeth, or any other body part, you won't make things any better or safer for yourself. You'll only prolong the anxiety. Better to find out if anything's wrong and deal with it, or even find out that all is right! Good luck.

I've read several posts about your recent health issue and can only imagine how worried you are. 

The good thing is that they caught it and it wasn't even because you were showing symptoms that made them suspicious.  So I'm sure it was like being caught early.

I hope it turns out to be *nothing* and maybe just something they'll have to watch.

It's your birthday today and even though you're trying to get over this awful infection and have the other issue also in the back of your mind, I hope you're still able to enjoy your day.

Happy Birthday Vivian.

Honored Contributor

QualityGal wrote:

Over the last few years, I have just hated this. 6 months now rolls around like it's only 2-3 months. I have no idea why I'm beginning to have such dread after all these years. It's just not like me. There's no pain involved, but I think I'm leary they'll find something and I'll need more work somewhere. Nothing's going wrong or is wrong, but I practically have to fight off calling and canceling the visit.

Anyone else go through this? It's a real agonizing thing now. I've been through caps and root canals. I hate the dentist chair though...I don't want any work done. I think that's it.

Wow, QG!  I could have written everything you just said!  Seriously.

My next one is next month and I'm already starting to dread it.  Six months goes by so fast my head spins.    I remember thinking, at my last visit, 'oh good, February - that's EONS away'.   Yeah, I wish!  heh

Things are in good order lately with my teeth.  I finally HAD to have my full exam and full set of exrays again this last year and all I could think of was 'there better not be anything else I have to spend hundreds of dollars on!'.   Fortunately, it was clean.  Thank goodness for that!

At this point, unless it's a front tooth, I think I'd contemplate just having one pulled if there was  need for a crown or root canal.   That's so much money and so much PITA that I don't think I could be up for it anymore.

Last year I had to get #32 pulled out (wisdom all the way to the lower right) and the oral surgeon said that #31 was going to need a root canal.  He told me the options.  I weighed it out and decided to just let #31 go, too.  For $525 he pulled both.  Done and done.  Otherwise I would have had to pay several times that for a root canal in that one, plus a few hundred to pull the mutant wisdom tooth.

Years ago I had the corresponding one on the left side bottom out and I don't even notice it.  You can't see back there (believe it or not, I have a fairly small mouth. heh) so nobody else can see it either.

Anyway, I feel exactly the way you do so I can TOTALLY relate!   So many times I think about calling to reschedule and really have to force myself to just go and get it done worth.  To tell the truth, I think that the HUGE monetary investment i have in them at this point is my prime motivation.  I feel that I simply have to keep it up or I will be so angry with myself!

Since I don't have insurance they have been really good with me over the years, especially with not forcing the full exam and full set of exrays every year.  

Honored Contributor

I too dread my cleaning visits; like my hygienist and my dentist and have been going there nearly 30 years, but hate having those sharp tools used on my teeth.   

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

The best was, in my younger days the dentist would administer nitrous oxide (laughing gas).  Not a care in the world while he drilled away.

I could not agree more.  Now I dread cleanings. (and I get 3 a year)  My teeth are super sensitive.  Then there's the fact that one of the hygienists mumbles non stop.

Honored Contributor

Well, I made it. Now I have 6 months to build up the courage for that next visit. I had no idea so many sister sufferers I had on here that go through this. It was nerve wracking, but I made it out with all in tact and no appoints for anything else. I try to do what I'm supposed to, so for now, it's working. OK Ladies, onward and upward we go. Thanks, I appreciated hearing from you all.

Honored Contributor

Yay, you're done!  I'm just jealous that you're done for 6 months and I still have to stew on this for about six more weeks.  Smiley Sad   

In case the 'get over it' crowd shows up - no worries, I'll get over it so just move on.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to a new dentist and he said I needed $4,000 worth of work done.  I decided to get a second opinion.  The next dentist said I needed my teeth cleaned.  There are a lot of dentists out there that do unnecessary work.  They have big houses, nice cars, and great vacations in the South of France!

pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE going in for my twice yearly cleanings!!! It's like visiting with old friends.  We get so busy talking and laughing our heads off I certainly don't get out of there in record time. I adore both the hygenist and the dentist.

Honored Contributor

My six month cleaning and check up is coming this month too.  It seems that  the older I get, the faster time goes.

I don't mind going to the dentist and I have excellent teeth and gums.  I am in and out in no time at all.

Did you know that bad dental care is related to heart disease?  Inflammation of the gums can lead to a heart attack.  So, no matter how much you dread going, please do.  Good dental care can prolong your health and contribute to a longer life.