Esteemed Contributor

Re: I only have to get my teeth cleaned, but I so dread the visit.

I hate this too.  I have a few sensitive areas and I dread it.  My new dentist put something topical on the areas and they are so much better but I still worry about going.

What I do is I practice really good hygiene.  Brush, floss, water pik, as much as I can.  Knowing you worked very hard keeping your teeth and gums in good condition helps a little bit.

I just went and I am already anxious about the next visit so I get it.  It's tough!

Respected Contributor

My recently deceased cousin used to call the visit to the hygienist "the blood letting."  I used to agree and dreaded these visits which I managed to keep postponing despite the amount of dental work I had had done over the years.

My dentists both retired:  no more reminders.   Then I ran into a favorite dental assistant and she told me about the new place she was working.  She promised me that she would have the gentlest and best hygienist work on me.  She did and after the session the hygienist and dentist suggested strongly that I have a "planing and scaling" done.  The brochure complete with pictures went into a drawer without being opened: did not want any nightmares.

Finally I had the 2-appointment procedure done:  lidocaine and no pain.  Had pizza afterwards for my reward lunch.

After that treatment, the cleanings were easy with minimal bleeding.  They gave me a WaterPik which I use every night with a little non-alcohol Crest rinse.  My hygienist appointment is tomorrow: no anxiety here.

Comment:  sometimes the instrument used is the problem, plastic vs. metal.

Keep those appointments:  no amount of makeup will make up for losing your teeth.     HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  I feel the same way. At 60, I have many crowns, some receeded gums and every time I go for a cleaning they find SOMETHING that needs attention..... no matter how good I am with my oral mouth care( and I am very very good at flossing, cleaning and even doing the oil pulling).  If it is not a crown, it is a root canal... and it is so expensive.  I am not afraid of the dentist, nor anything that they do. It is just hating to hear what bad news is going to be found each visit. 

Honored Contributor

I think the dread part isn't the cleaning it's the what if "something" is found and you know how that goes!  As others have mentioned it's the domino effect which too often turns into a major dental problem.  Major dental problems are usually major money even with insurance.  Many unfortunately don't have dental insurance.

I have had more root canals done over the last ten years than ever and I've been trying to avoid more in the future if possible.  I watch what I eat, brush often (I need to floss more) and swish 3% hydrogen peroxide around in my mouth several times a week.

Getting a cleaning hopefully can help avoid the dreaded root canal!

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Over the last few years, I have just hated this. 6 months now rolls around like it's only 2-3 months. I have no idea why I'm beginning to have such dread after all these years. It's just not like me. There's no pain involved, but I think I'm leary they'll find something and I'll need more work somewhere. Nothing's going wrong or is wrong, but I practically have to fight off calling and canceling the visit.

Anyone else go through this? It's a real agonizing thing now. I've been through caps and root canals. I hate the dentist chair though...I don't want any work done. I think that's it.

-------------------------------------

I'm with you.  I have never had a problem going to the dentist until the past two years.  Now I actually feel a sense of panic each time.  There is always some new issue that needs repaired.  I don't have this feeling with any other dr. visit - it is beyond explanation.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for letting me know I am not alone. I guess this means no one wants to volunteer to go for me? Man Wink

Trusted Contributor

Well this post came at just the right time -- I had a dentist appt yesterday. Never dread going, and my dentist is a highly experienced prosthodontist who took care of both my parents as well.  He's not a "but wait, there's more" kind of guy -- just does what is necessary, prudent and keeps it real.

However, I went yesterday and got a bit of a scare. I had noticed that in the past 6 months a small gap has formed between my front teeth. I have a crown on one front tooth due to a bicycle accident when I was a kid. Anyway, this "Michal Strahan effect" was puzzling me (although the gap isn't that wide!) and I was concerned. Well, it is possible that I have vertical bone loss in the capped tooth -- there could be a weak point that has been there since the accident -- and eventually a bone graft and implant might be necessary. Then again, he said it may last for many more years but it will fail eventually. We just don't know. NOW I'm freaking!!!  My hygenist talked through the procedure with me to calm my fears, so at least I know what to expect IF I have to go that route.

I asked the dentist "Should I take calcium?" and he said it wouldn't help this situation. Well, I'm going to take it anyway!!!!!  I'm 58 and it's probably about time to up my game there...

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean.........every time I go to the dentist, it's something "big".........like an implant.     The real PAIN is in my wallet(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I consider 2015 my 'year of the dentist', lol.  All in all it seemed every visit called for another visit.  I had my regular 2 cleanings, a deep scaling, a crown replaced, a bridge replaced and a wisdom tooth extracted.  Oh, and a root canal.  Whoo!  Can we say expensive, even with insurance.

I think the biggest problem being in that chair is knowing you have no control over anything happening.  Holding your mouth open for a long period of time can lock your jaws in place and you have to use your hands to close it.

I'm the same way about the lack of control with my opthamologist when she has her fingers and equipment probing my eyes (glaucoma)....I remember a movie where a patient's eyes were drilled.  I see her 3 times a year since blindness from the disease runs in my family and the movie haunts me.

That deep scaling was uncomfortable but the best thing I've gotten done for my gums.  Hadn't had one in years.  I used to bleed with every brushing but no more.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

I've always had a thing about the dentist's. When I was quite young, I had to have a lot of fillings and he never gave me enough numbing agent, so I always felt pain. Ever since, I've dreaded going because of pain. Kind of a phobia. My current dentist has to give me 2 separate shots of novacane.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004