Honored Contributor

Re: I need the hour I spent doing PT back

Aw thanks @lizzys!  I have a comrade in PT arms!  Heart

I am actually trying to talk myself out of my 10am appointment today but now that I know I have a friend, I'll be there.  Counting cars, hoping a hot guy strolls by the window and unbuttons a bit in the GA heat just like those Pepsi commericals back in the day....Smiley Very Happy

It's truly not bad at all.  Just boring as heck for an hour.  Maybe that was just the first appointment and today we'll get real and time will go quicker.  I'm used to a fast paced gym class so it's been tough going slow.  

You'll be fine I'm sure of it.  Other people have given me great advice here and reminded me of the importance of getting back to health the right way.  And now you have a friend in spirit too.  Smiley Happy

Thank you for inviting me back to the GH thread.  I've thought about it.  Gonna be tough commenting though on the 2 minutes I don't fast forward through every day.  Right now, I'd pay someone real money to toss Spencer down that hole and I'd step on Sam's airline for free.  Bye and Bye.

Hey, new game for PT.  Imagine ways to off ridiculous GH characters.  Let's see what you come up with too.  Smiley Wink     

Super Contributor

@Laura14 Ok. I really wasn;t going to make the call but you inspired me and I made my appointment for Wednesday.  I like the idea of the Pepsi commercial guy but since I haven't started yet, my dream if for that guy to be my PT guy!  A girl can only hope.

Good idea to think about the ways to off the GH characters.  If I end up having to go to many additional appointments I can move on the the Y & R cast.  That will take up a lot of time since I would have to make a plan for every single character!  Anything would be better than the plots these current writers come up with!

Hope you appointment went much better today!

Honored Contributor

If I have ever been bored in my adult life! I can't remember when that might have been. Rehabs? Not many people have been to as many rehabs as myself for a myriad of different injuries and/or life threatening illness recoveries. Waste of my time? Hardly!

Too many think Rehabilitation is just to heal whatever their specific problem. When the pain is gone/the limb or joint or heart is function better again, that's it! Wrong! There are commonly reasons for a physical failure, unless it is from a traumatic event like an accident. Rehab should tell you that this might be a specific weak, or deficient part of your body.

A person should not quit rehab because they problem feels better or is healed. They should continue working on a maintenance program to help prevent a reoccurring problem. Those that do this are a very small minority. "When my back went out I did XYZ, but now it's fixed or better, why continue"? or:

"I did that when my back hurt and when it hurts again, I did the same thing again". Hello out there! Why do intelligent people believe something that defies common sense when it comes to the only body they will ever have? I don't want to insult anyone's common sense, so I will not share my opinion.

Rehabilitation is not just to get over a major problem, it should be a regular part of a person's life. Maybe less time spent doing it, but if one hopes to keep their body functional as they age, those that rehab only until the PT says you don't need anymore sessions with me think they should quit? 

"To each be their own". I however will never quit trying to keep my body/mind functioning as well as it is able, regardless of not being injured, or recovering from a life threatening illness. 

Just proved to myself at chronological age 77-78 that recovery from a weakest point to a much stronger point is still my option. Was/is it easy/should I quit doing what got me there/am I too old to do XYZ because it might entail some risk? Will use common sense and physical and mental sense to answer those for me.

Can a person recover from everything? Does lack of will/commitment/desire, or boredom cause some to hesitate/procrastinate, or just plain don't do it?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lizzys  Good for you!!  Y&R is becoming a train wreck too, isn't it?  Good thought.

Okay, I went and the place was hopping.  I guess timing was everything.  I counted cars (no hot guys I think it was too early, darn it!) for the first 6 minutes on the stupid machine.  But then things got interesting.

First, I had an older couple where the woman couldn't get over the fact that my gym clothes matched my sneakers perfectly in lovely shades of burgundy.  LOL

Then we were visited my someone's 12 week old golden retriever.  Cute and ran all over the place.  

Then we got a young boy who was trying to rehab his leg and was assigned some interesting exercises to see.

Then I got another older woman who left her hearing aid at home and wasn't sure who was talking to her.  If you've seen the Fawlty Towers episode about the hard of hearing woman which is one of the funniest tv episodes I've ever seen in my life, you can imagine the whole thing.  Smiley Very Happy

To top it all off, my PT session was about half what it was last week.  Since I am all out of pocket on this, it was a nice surprise.

I did some twisting of caps on and off of a board and told the PT girl it was like kindergarten all over again.  And I got to do wall pushups which thrilled me to no end since my ortho said no real pushups.  I may be little but he thinks it's still too soon.  Smiley Sad  And I squeezed some medicine balls.  

@lizzys  Hope you get a hot guy!  It will give a whole new meaning to PT if you get to squeeze something too.  Smiley Wink  If you do, let me know and I may change locations if it's not too far of a hike.  

Yep, will travel for handsomeness.  My youth is quickly coming to a close soon.  Got to use it all up before it's gone.  LOL   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Laura14  Since it is out of pocket, could they set you up with a list of exercises to do at home?

@KarenQVC  Yes!  She gave me a print out and a stretchy band and I am going to work them like crazy so I can get back to normal quickly.  

Part of PT is to get you back on track, and it sounds like you'll get there.  Most exercise...whether PT or our usual routines at the gym...can be looked at as kind of boring.  But look at the end result.  You'll be healed and back to your old self, and you may even be the one encouraging other people to go to their PT appointments.

Honored Contributor

@lizzys  Just wishing you well today on your own PT adventure! Heart

Respected Contributor

If you are still going to PT for your wrist next time ask the therapist about hammer exercizes. They really helped me with my "plam up" turns,

Super Contributor

@Laura14 Thank you for your well wishes for my PT adventure.  After waiting 20 minutes I was taken to the back closet room where questions & computer input took the better part of an hour.  Then I was given two exercises that will take about a minute to do at home and don't go back until Monday.  At this rate I feel I will have to go forever!

I was so hoping for a Pepsi commercial type guy to give me my PT.  That didn't happen!  Maybe if I am real good and practice my two exercises they will let me out of the back room!  I am sure there will be more fun to come...or not!

How about you?  Are you seeing improvements?  Having fun yet?

Honored Contributor

@lizzys  You got two?  No fair!!  My task master gave me five and a nice yellow stretchy plastic band that I probably paid $50 for.  

And no hot Pepsi guy, either?  The PT industry really needs to recruit more male models for their female clients.  I know I would complain a lot less about screwing tops onto wooden boards and squeezing balls if I had some nice scenery to look at.  Smiley Tongue 

And I know how you feel about taking forever but there is hope.  My PT girl said I turned my palm much better when I went back a week later.  I am back to it on Monday too so I'll do a virtual high five with you next week!  Smiley Very Happy

Here's to you getting out of the closet and both of us maybe getting a hurt hot guy to work out with next week.  People fall all the time and men do dangerous things.  It could happen......Smiley SurprisedSmiley Wink

Super Contributor

@Laura14 So you got a yellow stretcy band.  I got a rubber ball the size of a tennis ball.  I am supposed to put it in a uber long sock...but wait I don't have a sock that long.  I didn't think they still made them that long!  

Looks like you are progressing quite well. Yay!  See you at PT Monday so we can scout for some eye candy.

So happy to see you on the GH thread!  You have been really missed and it hasn't been the same without you.  Don't stay away too long!