Esteemed Contributor

Re: I need the hour I spent doing PT back

@Laura14 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Laura14  Since it is out of pocket, could they set you up with a list of exercises to do at home?

@KarenQVC  Yes!  She gave me a print out and a stretchy band and I am going to work them like crazy so I can get back to normal quickly.  

@Laura14

This is what I would suggest Laura.  Unless of course you have very specific exercises that need close monitoring.  And I can assure you that everyone who extols the importance of in-office PT would be talking out of the other side of their mouth if they had to pay out of pocket.   

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Laura14  Since it is out of pocket, could they set you up with a list of exercises to do at home?

@KarenQVC  Yes!  She gave me a print out and a stretchy band and I am going to work them like crazy so I can get back to normal quickly.  

@Laura14

This is what I would suggest Laura.  Unless of course you have very specific exercises that need close monitoring.  And I can assure you that everyone who extols the importance of in-office PT would be talking out of the other side of their mouth if they had to pay out of pocket.   

@magicmoodz  Thanks!  I am going to do my homework and see if she is really necessary or if it's the same thing next week.  If so, I may bail to save myself the weekly expense.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  It is very important that PT starts slow so they won't damage a muscle further.  I went through several years (not every week) of PT, but after 7 years I was pain free and pain pill free.  When they were trying to straighten my fingers, I would take a pain pill before I went so they could straighten them a "little bit more" without it hurting.  PT has literally given me my life back after an automobile accident, when my hand swelled and 'froze up' in a cast and my long time being sedendary with diverticulitis and surgery.  

You have to go slow to strengthen and, believe me, you DO want your wrist strengthened for a better life. ((((hugs))))

Contributor

Oh, you are so troubled. To be so bored during PT!  My son has Autism, and was denied PT benefits his whole life..We paid $125 per 1/2 hour visit so he could function in daily tasks. So sorry you are bored. Perhaps you should take a minute and count your blessings.

Respected Contributor

Who ever said PT should be easy? Have you never heard "No pain, no gain"? IT MAKES SENSE. You're building up muscle so you can do more. Appreciate that this is possible!

A mature attitude really helps.

Esteemed Contributor

The physical therapist isn't there to entertain you.

He/she is there to make sure that your wrist gets better.

As for doing the exercises "like mad" at home, just to get it done and over with, you want to be careful that you don't do too much, too soon, and over do it. Because you could end up doing more harm than good, and your wrist will be worse off than before.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Laura14  It is very important that PT starts slow so they won't damage a muscle further.  I went through several years (not every week) of PT, but after 7 years I was pain free and pain pill free.  When they were trying to straighten my fingers, I would take a pain pill before I went so they could straighten them a "little bit more" without it hurting.  PT has literally given me my life back after an automobile accident, when my hand swelled and 'froze up' in a cast and my long time being sedendary with diverticulitis and surgery.  

You have to go slow to strengthen and, believe me, you DO want your wrist strengthened for a better life. ((((hugs))))

@Zhills  Thank you so much.  I've been wondering if I am doing myself any harm to do more than recommended.  I didn't know that about the strenghthening which is what she says I need most.  I appreciate this!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@5missy wrote:

Oh, you are so troubled. To be so bored during PT!  My son has Autism, and was denied PT benefits his whole life..We paid $125 per 1/2 hour visit so he could function in daily tasks. So sorry you are bored. Perhaps you should take a minute and count your blessings.

@5missy  Again, I usually wouldn't respond but please read through the entire thread and not just the first post before typing such a judgement..  

And don't assume you know who you are talking to.  You are not the only family touched by the spectrum as I intimately know.  

I wish you the same strength and little successes for your son.  Parents who deal with autism are unsung heroes and worthy of their own thread.   Heart  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14, I saw the humor. Some people must have had bad days.  I know one of the posters is a former ICU nurse with a pretty stern attitude about anything health related.

Super Contributor

@Laura14 I have a prescription to go to PT and have been dreading it for the reasons you cited.  When you are used to being active and have to step back to go the pace of PT the only thing to get you through it is a sense of humor!  I sure hope they put me by a window so I can at least count the cars in the parking lot too.

I always enjoy the humor in your posts and sure wish you would take your sense of humor back to the GH thread Smiley Wink

Take care.