Valued Contributor

I need help with a name of a product or where I can find it...

I had a severe knee injury, during the course of healing while going through physical therapy I was given a stretchy item to wear over my knee. It looks like a knee sock with out the toe part. It has since fallen apart from too much wear and I could really benefit from getting a replacement. However I know longer go to physical therapy and the man working the reception desk doesn't care one way or another if I ask him for his help. He looks at me like he's not there to go ask anyone anything and basically sends me away.

Do you know what I'm talking about and where I can order it online? I have purchased knee type items at Walmart but they are too big for my knee and end up sliding off. What I want is a white looking, not real thin material that has stretch in it.

Honored Contributor

Re: I need help with a name of a product or where I can find it...

Are you talking about a knee sleeve like this? These are copper infused. 3/$24.95 + $3 S&H on HSN.

Size Choices:S-XXL
S:14"-15" thigh
M:15-1/2" to 16-1/2" thigh
L:17" to 19" thigh
XL:19-1/2 to 21" thigh
XXL:21" to 23" thigh
Content:85% polyester, 15% spandex
Care:Machine wash, tumble dry

copper-fit-3-pack-knee-sleeves-d-20161212165211827-507013.jpg

Respected Contributor

Gulf Coast Girl, you might want to take a look at the product lines by Jobst to see if anything there rings a bell. I know my compression socks from Jobst are white, and they make toeless versions, although these are just knee-high, they don't cover or support the knee at all.

If you find what you're looking for, consider hitting Amazon and eBay for bargains. I've gotten Jobst UlcerCare support sets that retail for $65+ for under $10 on eBay, new and unused. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gulf coast girl  I had a knee injury and surgery and was given probably the same thing you had.  It just was cut from a huge bold of the stretchy stuff.  Mine fell apart and I did get the copper infused knee braces that @Nightowlz mentioned.  They are way better than the cheapo thing I was using.  It also sounds like you were going in person.  Just call and ask for the physical therapy person you had.  

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl

There are so many things like you describe, I hesitate to even mention one. Have you talked with your Primary Care Doctor, or your knee surgeon? Generally, the surgeon is the doctor that prescribes the rehab, from Orthopedic surgeries.

I have 2 friends that are Ortho doctors, but have no idea if they all use the same brand of support for knee surgeries. Can't fathom why a Physical Therapist would want to keep his patient from getting anything they used in their rehab.

Ain't no why some jackass answering the phone would keep me from talking with my Physical Therapist. Speak up and put him in his place, and if other patients are there? The louder you put in there the quicker you will have something happen. Works every time for me in any type of business.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You need to tell the doctor about the bozo behind the desk.

When I broke my arm, the therapist gave me his cell phone number.

@gulf coast girl wrote:

I had a severe knee injury, during the course of healing while going through physical therapy I was given a stretchy item to wear over my knee. It looks like a knee sock with out the toe part. It has since fallen apart from too much wear and I could really benefit from getting a replacement. However I know longer go to physical therapy and the man working the reception desk doesn't care one way or another if I ask him for his help. He looks at me like he's not there to go ask anyone anything and basically sends me away.

Do you know what I'm talking about and where I can order it online? I have purchased knee type items at Walmart but they are too big for my knee and end up sliding off. What I want is a white looking, not real thin material that has stretch in it.

Valued Contributor

I actually have the Tommy Copper knee sleeves but they are too loose on my skinny knee they too just continue to slide down and won't stay up. 

Hckynut I never had any surgery, I never even saw an orthopedist, my doctor looked right at me and said, "what can they do for you that I can't" so then she finally agreed to send me to physical therapy after getting 2 shots that didn't do anything  except make my knee feel worse. 

LOL the bozo, yeah that sounds about right, that is too funny. I needed that laugh!

Thanks Pook I will go look at HSN and see if they carry small, I guess I have legs of a little girl. 

Thanks noodleanne, I'll check out your advice.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gulf coast girl

Sorry, I assumed you had surgery. Most that have serious knee injuries, relate to removal of meniscus or torn ligament repair. 

I went through 3 months of PT right after I retired. While it was knee related, it had nothing to do with the joint being injured. I wish it had been because my recovery time would have been weeks, not months. Went 3 times a week to Physical Therapy, plus did other exercises at home every day.

This was Patella Tendonitis, which in my case was a small tear in the Patella Tendon. This tendon connects go 2 bones, which is unusual. If connects to both Patella and the Tibia(shin bone). This many times is what takes so long to heal from an ACL surgery. It's the inflammation, not the surgery itself.

I could not run/skate or do much of anything involving weight bearing. I was stuck pretty much to upper body exercises and bio- feedback for the first 6 weeks. Then I eased into working to strengthen the VMO muscles around the knee, thus the bio-feedback.

During hockey season and wiped out my being a Ref for over 4 months of the season. I had to tape under my kneecap a specific way for the best part of a year to be able to just skate. I did not try running until I no longer needed this specialized taping procedure to distribute my weight on the Patella Tendon.

Guess it is being around hockey most of my life where a serious injury requires surgery for tendon tears or broken bones. Sounds like yours didn't require an MRI, and that is good.

Hope you find something that works. Is this more for heat or support, and what did your doctor call your injury? 

Best to you, 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I don't remember what the doctor called it, but they had me lay on a table and I couldn't straighten out my left leg, it was sort of bent at the knee and wouldn't lay flat on the table. This was 2 years ago and it still hurts to this day. The stretchy thing is more for support, it always feels like my knee wants to buckle on me and go forward. I have to really lock my knee in position or it naturally wants to pop towards the front. My thigh was real tight and hard right after it happened but slowly with time it got softer, now it feels just like my other thigh. I couldn't walk for 3 months and when I finally could again it was only by walking on my toes because my heel wouldn't go down to the floor. My leg healed up all wrong I think. 

Nope my doctor at the time was a real snot. She's gone now and has moved to another state. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try support plus dot com. They sell all types of things for knees. It seems to me it is time to see an orthopedic doctor. I have knee problems, so I know what you are going through.