Respected Contributor

Re: I'm tired of coughing my head off..............

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the Dr. Wed. for a sinus infection. My draining sinuses were making me cough. He gave me an antibiotic and after seeing my BP upped my meds. I get on coughing jags so hard my stomach hurts. I am not doing it as often but it's still a pain, literally. I will be so glad when this gets cleared up.

Anyone else have a summer cold or sinus issue?

I usually get an upper respiratory infection/bronchitis at least once a year.  The cough is horrible!  My usual medication routine includes an inhaler, cough pearls (prescription required), liquid cough medication (only at night so I can sleep) and when it's really bad, scheduled dosing of prednision (that helps me the most). 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Drink loads of liquids...it helps thin the mucous from the nasal drip, making it more fluid and therefore less likely to induce coughing.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the Dr. Wed. for a sinus infection. My draining sinuses were making me cough. He gave me an antibiotic and after seeing my BP upped my meds. I get on coughing jags so hard my stomach hurts. I am not doing it as often but it's still a pain, literally. I will be so glad when this gets cleared up.

Anyone else have a summer cold or sinus issue?

I was coughing so hard for so long after getting over the flu.  Dr. Finally gave me one cortisone injection in the rear and after a month of misery I was cured. I had already refused the shot on the first visit I made to his office.

Honored Contributor

Someone may have already suggested this, but the best thing to combat a cough is Ricola cough drops.  Better than any cough syrup I've ever tried.  My friend who is a parmacist also uses these, and she has knowledge of all kinds of otc and prescription drugs  I keep them on hand all year, as I'm allergic to a bunch of things that will cause a cough.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Try sleep sitting up. And if you can, drink some decaf tea with a little honey. It really helped me. Just a thought. Fell Better. Heart

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Just checkin. Is your cough any better?  Been a week so thought I'd check.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut   I just happened to see your post.  Yes, the cough is better but not completely gone. Still feel like stuff from sinuses draining.  The cough may be the stupid lisinipril he upped the dosage on.  I feel better but not 100% yet.  Thanks for asking.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Glad you are doing a little better. I know many have a coughing problem when taking the BP medicine, Lisinipril.  Just asked my wife and she told me she was on it for a few years. A low dosage, according to her, and she did not experience any coughing problems. Seems like it is more prevalent in the higher dosage. I am not familiar enough with it to know the dosage ranges.

Keep getting better,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My dr. told me he wouldn't prescribe Lisinopril to me due to the coughing issue that some folks seem to experience.  He put me on Losartan & when it didn't bring my BP down to where he wanted it, he added Amlodipine & I've been on these meds for about a year or so now, with no problems & no coughing.