Esteemed Contributor

I'm tired of coughing my head off..............

I went to the Dr. Wed. for a sinus infection. My draining sinuses were making me cough. He gave me an antibiotic and after seeing my BP upped my meds. I get on coughing jags so hard my stomach hurts. I am not doing it as often but it's still a pain, literally. I will be so glad when this gets cleared up.

Anyone else have a summer cold or sinus issue?

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm tired of coughing my head off..............

My sister has had a respiratory virus for 3 weeks with constant coughing. She has been to the doctor and nurse practitioner, they both said it has to run it's course. NP recommended a tea and adding lemon and honey. She was also given a prescription for something to help with the cough. She is finally feeling better. The tea helped the most.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I caught DH’s cold this week, despite my best efforts to avoid it. I’m sitting here with a box of tissues for my runny nose and cough drops for my scratchy throat, hoping it doesn’t get any worse. I had a cold like yours after Thanksgiving. I didn’t go to the doctor, but DH and DS were threatening to take me there if I didn’t get better soon. The nighttime coughing jags were the worst part. I found that sleeping with a bedrest (almost sitting up) was the most comfortable position for me. I took a nighttime cold medicine that dried me out and helped me sleep. I also kept a small bottle of water on the night table. I hope you’re feeling better soon!

ETA: Be careful once you start to feel better. My cold came back a week after I thought I was over it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Sorry to hear about this and hopefully it will diminish soon. When I  had the Aspiration Pneumonia with #1 heart attack coughing was constant and deep for over a year. Had I not experienced several broken ribs, I would have sworn a rib or 2 was broken from my coughing.  While it was uncomfortable, it was not even close to an actual fractured rib.

Very annoying and uncomfortable for sure, hope it ends soon for you.

I hope time is being kind to you in the other aspect of your everyday life.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My Rx is Hall's Mentholyptus and the Holmes 9425 Tower Air Purifier on sale at Target for $62. I just bought a second one. When your throat is already irritated, even a little household dust can keep you coughing. This model blows the clean air forward so you can sit on your couch or at the table and direct the air flow right to you. 

All that coughing can raise your BP. When this is over have it checked in case you no longer need the higher dosage.

Feel better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3  My BP was high before this sinus thing.  It started getting high in 2016.  Of course the last 3 weeks haven't help.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Coughing like that the first time in my recent past has caused disk injury. 

I have learned to outright ask the doctor for cough syrup w/codeine.

I can also say that I use cough drops (by DoTerra) every day called ON GUARD and have not had a cold or sinus infection for three years.

They are expensive, but effective.

I’m trying out the ON GUARD “beads” to see if I can avoid all the sugar.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

A prescription cough syrup will do the trick.

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to the Dr. Wed. for a sinus infection. My draining sinuses were making me cough. He gave me an antibiotic and after seeing my BP upped my meds. I get on coughing jags so hard my stomach hurts. I am not doing it as often but it's still a pain, literally. I will be so glad when this gets cleared up.

i’m sorry you’re going through this! I know just what you’re going through as i’ve been to every dr.imagininable to figure out what my darn constant hard coughing was caused by. they had done every test imaginable and found out it was excessive draining of sinuses. the only thing that works are two nasal sprays and musinex in the green and white box. in your case since it’s temporary, I would suggest just the musinex though. it has been such a miracle worker especially during this allergy season when the pollen is kicking up and my sinuses are draining.

i hope this helps you. 😀

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yes...I have had the same thing for at least a month.  Two antibiotics later, I am still coughing, but not as bad.  Guess it has to run it’s course.....I have decided that I am allergic to spring and summer.  As soon as the seasons come, I am miserable with allergies and inevitably catch a cold.  Also...bugs love me.  Something always biting me....This is just not my time of year.  Can’t wait till fall comes!