Respected Contributor

Re: I'm surprised at how much weight lifting has helped me

Weight bearing exercise is a must if you want to protect your bones.  I love reading all your posts about how much stronger you are and how old you are!

I do weight bearing exercise 3 days/week.  Sometimes I like to get ornery and see how heavy I can go (safely, of course!!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry   You go girl!

We also have Silver Sneakers but this year we have been lax about going to the gym.

Between DS surgery and DH new diagnosis it's be a heck of a year. 

Once it cools down we will go back.  He needs it and I've noticed my hip/spine issue is acting up more since we haven't been there.

I also prefer the machines.  We can attend any class for free, too; they do not have to be Silver Sneaker classes.

Sometimes they offer short term special classes and those we would have to pay a small fee but we didn't use those.

I loved Zumba but I could only move to the left and not to the right.  LOL

The pool is available.

We went as soon as the doors opened and a great way to start the day.  We stayed away on week-ends.

We have a treadmill and I do use that at home.

Lots of "older" people-I think seniors get up earlier and since they are retired they can get there earlier and avoid the after-work crowds.

Plus we have the stretchy bands that we got for free from Silver Sneakers.

Any movement is a plus no matter your age or health.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

You are so right @Cakers3 . Any little bit of movement helps. Talk to the people working at your  fitness center if you have limited mobility. They will help you do what is safe for you to do. It can make such a difference or you

You aren't in competition with anyone else. So, don't worry how much weight they can lift, or how many times they are able to lift weights

When I started our I struggled to get 15 repetitions. Now I am doing 60 on some machines less on others..people are so nice , they will give you tips, if they seeing you doing something wrong. I was told not to let the weights bang by a lady. Someone else helped me adjust a really hard lever...People always say good morning ,and smile. It is a nice place to go

Honored Contributor

@RetRN 

Thank you. I never coached youth hockey but I did referee hundreds of games. Spent much of my time running my adult hockey league, which did include some tips on skating and playing for many of the beginners. 

My late friend, whom the ice rink was renamed after, kept the youth hockey program going for decades. I, on the other hand, got adult hockey in our city, from 2 leagues with maybe 100 players, to the present 10 adult leagues with at least a couple thousand players.

The ice rink just reopened after a month of maintenance. Today will be my first day on the ice in a month. Can't wait to get back on the ice, just hope all of it is staying upright. Will be heading out in a couple hours as the rink is a 20 mile drive each way. Love my skating!

Appreciate your comments and hope you are doing well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You are so right @Cakers3 . Any little bit of movement helps. Talk to the people working at your  fitness center if you have limited mobility. They will help you do what is safe for you to do. It can make such a difference or you

You aren't in competition with anyone else. So, don't worry how much weight they can lift, or how many times they are able to lift weights

When I started our I struggled to get 15 repetitions. Now I am doing 60 on some machines less on others..people are so nice , they will give you tips, if they seeing you doing something wrong. I was told not to let the weights bang by a lady. Someone else helped me adjust a really hard lever...People always say good morning ,and smile. It is a nice place to go

@cherry   The staff is wonderful.  I used the bikes for warm-up since I have a treadmill at home.  The sitting down bikes (they also have TVs attached) but it was nice to have folks to talk to -just chit chat while pedaling.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ours doesn't have bikes. They have lots of treadmill options, and machines you can walk up stairs  and things that swing your legs. I wish they had  bike I would use it @Cakers3 

Mr Cherry told me they have something you can pedal but it isn't a bike. I might check into that.We always go to the 30 minute express workout room. All the machines are in a semi circle. You just move from one to the next and when you are done, every part of your body has been exercised

Honored Contributor

@cherry 

Good for you!

Yes, the benefits of resistance training are many and well documented, for everyone, including those in their senior years.  

As someone who has "lifted weights" for 37 years now (along with other physical pursuits like dance and yoga - both of which I came to later in life), I am an avid promoter for just about everyone.  I was always being asked in the gym when I was working out how to do this and how to do that and what did I think of this or that exercise and decided to "go pro" and got my credentials to coach others.  I now work with people (one on one) from ages 26 to 68 and it is so gratifying to see the positive impact on their lives.

Keep it up and work safe with good mechanics!!!

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember watching a Dr. Oz show about how muscles get more difficult to maintain the older you get. Older people need to exercise more than a younger person to come out equal in muscle mass...mitochondrial death as we age goes faster. it was mentioned on the show that if you don't do anything else, start with squats. That will strengthen every major muscle in your lower body and can help you from falling.  I do 100 squats everyday while holding 20-pounds of resistance. But I started doing only about 10!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I remember watching a Dr. Oz show about how muscles get more difficult to maintain the older you get. Older people need to exercise more than a younger person to come out equal in muscle mass...mitochondrial death as we age goes faster. it was mentioned on the show that if you don't do anything else, start with squats. That will strengthen every major muscle in your lower body and can help you from falling.  I do 100 squats everyday while holding 20-pounds of resistance. But I started doing only about 10!

For each decade after the age of 25, 3 to 5% of muscle mass is lost.  Bone mass also decreases.  Fat mass then increases.

Regular physical activity helps to  stimulate protein synthesis, preserve lean body mass (muscle and bone), and decrease fat stores.

Older people need to use weights that challenge them (with good form, of course!) to effectively preserve muscle and stimulate muscle growth and to strengthen and build bone tissue.   

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Wow! I’m impressed! I thought I was so tough doing only 50 squats today with 10lbs! Good inspo thanks.