Honored Contributor

Re: I'm surprised at how much weight lifting has helped me

[ Edited ]

@cherry 

I was glad to see your post. Muscle resistance has been, a not so well kept secret, most of my 80 years. Your post should be encouraging to many your age, and much younger.

Too many people think that (especially men),  lift weights to get big muscles that some like to show off. Then those like myself understand that weight resistance exercises can protect a person's joints, and also make some everyday tasks much easier.

I attribute my healthy knee joints to always making sure all the stabilizing muscles have been kept strong, and flexible. I use to hear, "running will ruin your knees as you get older", for many years from my co-workers. And playing hockey will "tear up my knees"!  Well at my age my knees are problem free, and I expect them to stay that way, unless of some major trauma.

Kept at what your doing it can only get better, but please do it correctly. Great post!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have been lifting for over 20 years.   It was that.......or hire a butler............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Great job.  Don't forget to do some core work.  The back supports the stomach and the abs support the back.  Also, as we get older we need to be doing some balance work.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's great !

Respected Contributor

@cherry 

If your gym offers exercise classes, I can't recommend enough a "gentle yoga" class. 

This has helped me in so many areas--strength in  core muscles (which is where most other lifting and balance strength comes from), plus arm and leg strength, flexibility, and balance.

At our age, we  don't need the types of yoga that young people like, such as "hot yoga" or "Vinyasa".

The so-called gentle or beginner level is good enough for people our age.  I've now stopped spending an hour in the classes and doing the simple exercises myself at home for about 20 or 30 minutes.

I go to the gym 3-4 days per week only for cardio work on the treadmill.  

I've been considering doing some weight-lifting routine like you have, but  simple yoga poses seem to offer many of the same benefits.  It takes muscle and  weight-lifting capability to do some of them.

Isn't it great to feel strong and better?  Let's keep it up!! 

I did heavy-duty workouts at gyms and running on a track for years when I was younger, but I enjoy what all the (even less strenuous) work does for me now--much more.

Honored Contributor

I should have  said I use weight machines , I don't use bar bells, or bench press. I do a 20 minute workout, but I only use the machines, I don't do the aerobic part. After our work out( Mr Cherry does this too) We take a walk

When the weather gets nasty ,we might try the treadmill..right now, I prefer to do our daily walk at the hospital

I don't think they offer yoga, but if they did, I would give it a try

We work all of the muscles. I have been able to lift 60 pound weights, to exercise my core. I started at 15 lbs. I think it will take a long time to get to be able to lift more than 60 lbs

Trusted Contributor

This is timely for me as I am going to our local planet fitness to check it out on Friday; am feeling a bit insecure, as I have a bit of weight to lose and in pretty crappy shape and haven’t stepped foot into a gym in years. Thanks cherry for this 😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karie2022  Exercise is the most important thing you can do for yourself. I work out harder now than I did when I was younger.  Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right workout because not everyone enjoys the same thing ( for instance cardio is my favorite part but strength training has made such a huge difference).  . I also highly recommend working with a trainer because proper form is so important... makes your workout more efficient and prevents injury. Congrats on taking the first step!!  Once you get going it will become the best part if your routine💪🏻🙌🏻💥

PS. If they offer spinning classes etc try them. There will be people of all fitness levels and you can set your own pacebb so it’s individual to you.  You  have the benefit of being led by instructor and a group to encourage you. I never liked group fitness but it takes you to a different level and I’ve kearned to really enjoy it. 

Honored Contributor

I am so pleased to see many Medicare supplements and advantage plans offering Silver Sneakers, it is a great perk for seniors. Without it joining a gym would be too costly for many.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, I want to commend you for being such an amazing advocate for seniors to keep moving. You truly walk the walk.

I am just curious, did you ever coach youth? Because you would have been a great role model.