Respected Contributor

Re: I'm so tired of dieting.................................

Welcome to my world. I've been on that merry go round for over 20 years now and it's not just a 10lbs weight gain for me, it's 30. I've been losing and gaining the same 30lbs for years. If I go low fat/low carb and drink protein shakes; I lose weight very quickly. I can lose that 30lbs in three months. Of course, then I convince my self that I can keep it off by "eating like a normal person". I'm not talking about cookies and cakes and potato chips. I'm talking about healthy low fat, whole grains etc. It's just that I gain weight if I even look at bread, waffles, a bagel. It's not about making "the right choices" because "the right choices" differ for each of us. There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" diet. I know what works for me and right after the holidays; I'll get back to it and by April 1; I'll be back in my "skinny" clothes and everyone will be commenting on my weight loss. And I hope that this time around, I'll be able to stay on my lean protein/fruits/veggies diet for life. But it's definitely not easy.

Trusted Contributor

I hear you. I am not good with diets either; I can never stick to them{#emotions_dlg.scared} Diets being my Achilles, I stick to healthy eating & exercise. Yes, the lbs don't drop easily without dieting. For me every lb lost is hard earned; I never check the scale coz I was on a plateau for several years & the scale discouraged me more often than not.

But I stuck to my plan coz my clothes started looking good as the fat started to melt away. I always found out how many lbs I lost when I went for my annual. There wasn't any difference in the beginning(pound wise). But in all I have lost 16 lbs in 2 years (didn't have much to lose) after exercising & eating healthy for 5-6 years! I am close to my goal weight about 5-6 lbs away. I am in no hurry to get there; I just hope it will come off eventually. The only thing I watch is my intake of bad carbs, no red meat & limit my dairy. I do cheat, like all the time{#emotions_dlg.lol}

My suggestion would be to increase the fiber. I do 2 smoothies per day but these are not meal replacements, just nutritional supplement to snacks.

Respected Contributor

I guess what I am having a hard time verbalizing my quest for healthy eating plan. Ideally this plan will help me maintain ideal weight, provide a menu that is satisfying and addresses health issues including blood pressure, cholesterol, cardio etc. I am very healthy and want to stay that way! I don't need to lose weight but maintain my weight.

Dr Ornish says low protein and low fat for heart health. Dr Atkins and others say high protein/low carb. It seems that if I try to "just eat normally" without any sweets and limited white carbs then I will maintain my target weight. If I ever overindulge in sweets or carbs then I'll be 10 pounds up and it is then that I will have to go to a strict Atkins/South Beach eating plan to get it off.

Right now I am taking a look at my fat intake i.e., Cheeses, dressings, fatty meats, dairy.I think the comments about about Fiber are important and valid to consider. I don't get hidden calories from alcohol- but if there was an AA for chocolate chip cookies sign me up.For me it is just going to be Just Say NO to sugar.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Honored Contributor

I want to throw this in. I too once said, ...then I can get back to eating like a normal person. My husband said, maybe how you're eating now (WW) is the norm. I had not put the spin on it that way. I guess in other words, eating how I was being taught at WW was for my own good, the way I had chosen, was not good for me. It's that one little light bulb moment!

Honored Contributor

Oh qg, the times I've done that! Now I know that good nutrition is the "good stuff" and it's for life!
Super Contributor

I learned over many years that the "new norm" -- higher protein/lower carbs -- is now "necessary normal" for me to maintain my weight. My protein sources include chicken, fish, nuts, eggs, and low-fat dairy. BTW, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't have dairy. I tweak this eating plan according to how active I am. Right now, I'm having some orthopedic issues, so cannot exercise as much as I usually do. That means I have to be strict about having carbs at only one meal each day. When I am able to resume my regular activity, then I can have additional carbs, but I never eat carbs without protein. When I was younger, I could have totally carb meals, sometimes 2 meals of the day, but I can no longer do that. It's just the new reality.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that having protein at every meal keeps my appetite at bay and, for me, this is key to maintaining my weight. I also never snack in between meals unless it is a protein like nuts. If I want fruit, for example, it MUST be eaten within 30 minutes of a protein meal in order to avoid an additional insulin spike. The goal is to have as few insulin spikes during the day as possible. Every time you eat carbs, you have a spike. These spikes make you hungry for more. (That's the simplistic explanation anyhow.)

Honored Contributor

I try to adhere to a pretty healthy eating style. But at times I allow for too many treats and then trouble starts. Special occasions and holidays are hard as well. Once I start veering off the path, I have a difficult time getting back on the right track. As long as you are mindful, and realize where you have difficulties, then you should be fine. The big thing is to not let the weight get too far ahead of you, or it will seem too much to tackle to take it back off.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Granddi -- You have to find the program that works for you long term, that you can live with doing 80% of the time for the rest of your life.

I started with Weight Watchers (still go to weigh in as a Lifetime member and to see my friends, but I don't follow their program of eating). It taught me how to set up a plate of balanced food, how to feel hungry and satisfied (vs full/stuffed). I could get to my goal weight but never maintain it.

I then moved over to the Eat Clean Diet and started eating better quality foods. I could get closer to my goal weight, but never got to goal here. My weight was inconsistent.

In the course of trying to decide if I have food sensitivities and if food is aggravating my allergies, I did an elimination diet called Whole30. I just finished on 11/30.

I've started reintroducing the eliminated foods one at a time to see how my body reacts to them and figure out which are good for me and which are not so good for me.

I do know that eating on Whole30 I have never felt better, so I want to incorporate much of that program going forward. When I am done with my re-introduction work I am moving to Primal Blueprint. It is Whole30 but you can can dairy and my beloved cheese ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Gee VaBelle- I'm going to have a look at that myself! Sounds like what I'm doing, but I'd love to be able to sample a little cheese once in a while.
Contributor

I could never lose weight no matter what kind of diet I did. I was overweight, always tired and very moody. Then in January I did a nutritional rebalancing program. I lost 45 pounds in the first 7 months, gained much energy and felt much better about myself. I was never hungry. Now I am maintaining and feel better than ever.