Respected Contributor

I'm so tired of dieting.................................

It seems like if I do not watch what I eat I will be up 10 pounds in the blink of an eye.

I can lose the weight with low carbs- South Beach. I wish I could lose the weight and keep it off with more of a vegetarian style eating. I can do without the high fat meat but can't control my weight without the high protein.

I get to my ideal weight and convince myself that if I just eat in moderation and exercise regularly then I'll be ok but every 6 months or so here comes the pounds.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm so tired of dieting.................................

Perhaps your metabolism is slow?

Respected Contributor

I radically changed my diet and lost 35 pounds. It has become an everyday routine and I don't think about it as dieting. I increased my Fiber to over 30 GM per day by eating a fruit or a vegetable at every meal, eating whole grains. Anyway, if you focus on Fiber (do it gradually though) from veggies and fruit you will naturally not be hungry. That is what I do, and now I find myself gravitating to the fruit or veggies first because I know they will fill me up fast. I did stop eating salad at home because Lettuce is low fiber compared to other veggies plus the dressing added calories. That helped too.

Valued Contributor

Wow, I really feel your pain!!! You sound just like me. If I eat grains I can put on 10 pounds in a week. My husband and myself just committed to the Nutrisystem diet because we have come to realize that we cannot lose the weight without a strict, premeasured regimen. Yes, I know that we should not "diet" but rather create a new lifestyle, but that in all honesty doesn't work for us. I hope you can find a solution for your weight dilemma, and please share with us your outcome!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I have the same problem. I have an eating routine that I stick to pretty well, but when I vary that routine, my weight goes up. I never eat cheese, but I ate a lot of it over Thanksgiving. I also ate a lot of bread, something I usually limit. And cookies! I'm feeling it now. I am back to my eating routine and I know the pounds will come off, but I'll be unhappy until I lose the weight. And then it will be Christmas! You say you don't really like eating all the meat. Maybe just try cutting carbs from one meal only and see how that works. That has helped me.

Honored Contributor

It is called lifestyle change. Dieting or diet are words I use only when "quoting". Until a person understands and makes a lifestyle change? YoYoing weght more than likely be a regular event in their lives. Some get by no matter what they eat, but that is a very small minority.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I usually lose weight during the holidays because I'm running around like a crazy person.

Doesn't mean I don't eat bad things though. I'm just more conscience of it because I hate the way I look in all the pictures. First place I gain is in my face. And I don't want to see fat arms either!

What I've been doing since Thanksgiving day is walking 15,000 steps a day. My usual is up to 10K, but to bump it up a bit for weight loss I added the extra.

Yesterday we had rain rain and more rain. The malls are mobbed, so I couldn't walk there. I went to Lowe's and did about 8000 steps just going up and down each aisle. Last night I went to Home Depot and walked the rest of it.

No crowds and you don't have to get all made up to do it. I had a cart and I ended up filling it up with *stuff* I needed. LOL. I didn't walk fast as usual, but I kept moving.

Plus I get on my Pilates rebounded right before bed and really work on my arms and thighs.

Respected Contributor

'Diets' do not work. A lifestyle change does. At 50, I lost almost 20 lbs, not by dieting. By changing my eating and exercise routines. I have never gained the weight back. Ignore claims that you gain weight after a certain age. If you believe it you will. Do I have pizza, cheeseburgers and cookies? Certainly, but in moderation.

Honored Contributor

You have nothing but sympathy from me! I spent years in the Keebler-Ross "Stages of Grief" about eating! A year and a half ago, I came to realize that there were delicious satisfying foods that I could buy everywhere that satisfied mt cravings and stopped my binges. I lost 85 pounds truly painlessly, and am still workin' it! NEVER GIVE UP! There is an eating pattern that can normalize your desires for food, nourish your body, and restore your health. I'm old and hypothyroid and was addicted to sugar and swore I couldn't lose. When the stakes were raised high enough though, I pulled myself together and DID IT. And I FIRMLY believe that given the proper incentives, anyone can.
Honored Contributor

To add- I CANNOT do "moderation" but that works for ellaphant. However, she and I AGREE that age means far less than most people are willing to think. I have a short list of "triggers", and if I eat them, I will eat MORE. What I CAN do, is find yummy substitutes for my triggers. And that is an ongoing part of my recovery process. An addict is never "recovered" but can always be "in recovery".