Regular Contributor

I'm back with an update and more questions

I got a new medication for my heartburn from my Gastro dr.  I started it a few days ago.  So far no improvement. He said if I'm not better in 8 weeks I will need another Endoscopy to check things out. I was fine with my last one and also have no signs of Barretts anymore.  It may have been mis diagnosed originally or all the cells may have been removed this time so its not showing up.  I still need to get another EGD in three years.

My question is has anyone experienced gas in the the chest area?  I get back pain every day towards the evening.  It happens no matter what I eat or do it seems.  I also get a feeling like air in my chest and it can be painful.

I have just started on my Cpap machine about a week ago.  I am doing quite well on it but have read it is possible to swallow air while using this.  I wonder if that is what is happening. I have days with only the back pain but today was a day where the pain and burning were very bad.  I hope my new medication works.  Belive it or not, we decided to go back to Boston next week since it was so hot when we were there in July and I was not feeling well, so we figured in Sept. it would be a good time to go back.  Weather cooler and I would have to be better by then.  Well.....I hope to feel acceptable and hope my new meds solve my problem.  If the symptoms keep up I guess the only choice I have is to get the heart cath, to rule it out of the picture and then we can focus on what can be wrong with my chest/back.

Praying its heartburn and it is better soon.  Then I can move on with my life.  This has been a long trial.  

Thanks for beng here for me to vent to and to get encouragment from.  I really appreciate it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm back with an update and more questions

I hope you get a good resolution to your problem very soon.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly,

Do you still have your gall bladder?

Honored Contributor

Has anyone said anything about diet & lifestyle changes?

That should be the first line of attack (least evasive protocol)

and generally, speaking, the most effective. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Has anyone said anything about diet & lifestyle changes?

That should be the first line of attack (least evasive protocol)

and generally, speaking, the most effective. 

I agree with sidsmom that you should be looking at both diet and lifestyle.

You don’t need to wait for tests to start experimenting with your diet and see if certain foods bring on symptoms....then eliminate them (butter, chocolate, caffeine, etc.).  Eating in the evening and then lying down in bed could cause issues, or eating too much at one time.

Relaxation tapes, massage, listening to peaceful music.....worth a try.

Definitely have the tests, but I would be tweaking my diet, in the meantime.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi dennylilly....aloe Vera juice will settle your tummy. And sooths all the way down! Purchase the inner leaf type. I have had this before where I thought I was having a heart attack from indigestion. As many have said here, change your diet to bland and take note of what you are eating.  Do not know your age, but boy does our bodies change as we get older, can not eat the types and quantities we are use to, seems like it happens overnight.  I pray you are feeling better soon.

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

How is your Diabetes doing with all this?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@dennylilly

Sounds like you got some good advice here tonight. I can't think of anything to add. Have a good time in Boston & take care.😊
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

dennylilly:  I am very sorry to hear about your health problems.  The gas could be from your CPAP.  When I first starting using mine I felt like I was on the receiving end of a bicycle pump.  My body finally got used to it but it took about a month or so.  But this sensation of lots of air in my body was only when I was actually using my CPAP.

I hope you feel better soon.  Please keep posting.

Edited to add:  I also got really bad heartburn but when I got my gallbladder removed, the heartburn went away.  Another suggestion:  try eating yogurt in the evening, I find that soothing at times when I feel bloated.

Regular Contributor

Yes, CPAP could definietly be giving you gas!   If it is intolerable, call whoever set you up with your CPAP and see if there are any adjustments (or a different device ) that could be made to give you a more tolerable pressure.  (There is Auto CPAP and BIPAP that you might look into).  

Probiotics help with stomach issues- IBS and gas-   Also, ask your Doctor about SLIPPERY ELM- it's an herbal suppliment that acts like a mucolytic- coats the digestive track!  I couldn't live without these two things.   Heartburn medicine (Prescription or over the counter) never did a thing for me and someone suggested Slippery Elm to me many years ago... that has been my lifesavor!! It doesn't stop the heartburn but it protects and coats- so you still have to find out what is causing the heartburn.  

Also... ask your doctor about the possiblitly of having H. Pylori...... It's a bacteria in the gut that can cause very bad heartburn or gastritis.  (It doesn't go away by itself)

I hope you feel better soon!