Trusted Contributor

Re: I knew insulin is expensive but this is nuts.

@CelticCrafter 

I’ve always heard the drug reps “wine & dine” the doctors. Maybe even give “incentives” to them to prescribe their drugs. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

SidsMom: What and where is that evidence. Need chapter and verse.

Actually, there is a LOT of evidence supporting the benefits of a regime of no animal products, entirely vegetarian/vegan, very low fat/no animal fat, high carb eating, but there is also a great deal of evidence supporting MANY other eating styles as being comparable in value.

I feel at my best when eating lots (LOTS!) of green vegetables, low (almost no) salt, high quality lean protein (salmon, chicken, also organic eggs), yams or sweet potatoes, NO GRAIN, NO DAIRY.

YES, I will ALWAYS be morbidly obese, but now I live in a much less (-85 pounds) body. I THINK of MYSELF as a morbidly obese woman every day of my life. Idiosyncratic life style issues sometimes cause me to vary from my lifestyle, but I know my safety zone and I know when to tighten up.

I was both prehypertensive AND prediabetic, and my tested numbers fell to normal range with my lifestyle change, and have remained stable.

While there ARE absolutes (“A diet based solely on 1/2 pound Hershey Milk Chocolate Candy Bars is likely, over a span of years, to cause measurable health concerns among most human beings”), there are also individual differences among human beings that cause individual HEALTHY dietary variations AND NEEDS.

Threads like these are an inspiration to me because they unfailingly indicate how well tuned to my needs my life eating plan works best when I consume mostly low carb veggies, yams/sweet potatoes, cold water fish, chicken, eggs, and occasional beef, berries and green apples and kiwi fruit, nuts, (raw when available but always unsalted). 

This works FOR ME. It may work for someone else OR NOT. WE ARE ALL slightly DIFFERENT metabolically, and we must find what works best FOR OURSELVES and LIVE WITH THE RESULTS. 

Honored Contributor

People are DYING because they are rationing their insulin because they can't afford it. That's killing them, not food. Can't comprehend how someone can continue to lecture people about diabetes, or how people with diabetes can continue to post in this forum and be lectured about that and blamed for their own illness. Or frankly why it continues to be allowed when far less significant things in these forums are not. Diabetes is GENETIC in my family too, so the lecturing and blaming is offensive to me too.

Where I live some parents protested at one of the major makers of insulin. Their adult children had died from rationing. They brought some of their ashes to the protest. I'll never forget their obvious pain. It's awful for anyone to do anything to add to their pain or to the pain of anyone who has diabetes.

This topic is about greedy drug companies, but why focus on them I guess when you can blame diabetics.smh

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If what I was taking, was working for me,  there is no way I would pay that.  BIG PHAMA will bleed you if you let them.  

Esteemed Contributor

I believe we need as a nation to do something about the drug prices for meds that are needed to save lives.  Insulin is not an option.  And neither are hearing aids, another of my pet peeves. My hubby needed them but the price point was over the top.  Finally our insurance policy paid for a good portion of the price.  My daughter is a type I diabetic and she too has some insurance help  but really not enough to make a real difference.  

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  we post to tell the truth about diabetes. So people will understand what it is, an is not. People need to be educated about this disease, just like they need to be educated about other illness...

Honored Contributor

In many states that "wining and dining" is no longer permitted.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Even the American Diabetes website says ,Diabetes is not a choice...

But yet.....people get off diabetes medication all the time.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Respectfully, sidsmom, you almost  have to look at diabetes as two different disorders; some people are able to get off medication for type 2 diabetes, but those with juvenile onset, insulin dependent, type 1 diabetes are not able to get off insulin. They have a defective pancreas with no, or almost no, functioning cells which produce their own insulin. For type 1 diabetes, cause is not definitely known,  but there is a strong correlation with genetics.  No diet has ever been shown to prevent the onset of type 1 or to cure the condition after its onset. No type of diet has ever been associated with its onset either. Vegans are no more immune from this type of diabetes than are meat eaters and vegetarians. Insulin and strict exercise monitoring and dietary monitoring are necessary  to prevent coma and death. 

Quoting  from Wikipedia article on Type 1 diabetes:

“Type 1 diabetes is a disease that involves many genes. The risk of a child developing type 1 diabetes is about 5% if the father has it, about 8% if a sibling has it, and about 3% if the mother has it.[20] If one identical twin is affected there is about a 40% chance the other will be too.[21][22] Some studies of heritability have estimated it at 80 to 86%.[23][24]

More than 50 genes are associated with type 1 diabetes. Depending on locus or combination of loci, they can be dominant, recessive, or somewhere in between. The strongest gene, IDDM1, is located in the MHC Class II region on chromosome 6, at staining region 6p21. Certain variants of this gene increase the risk for decreased histocompatibility characteristic of type 1. Such variants include DRB1 0401, DRB1 0402, DRB1 0405, DQA 0301, DQB1 0302 and DQB1 0201, which are common in North Americans of European ancestry and in Europe”

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

No not everyone does. It isn't a given. It depends on why you are diabetic

But you won’t know unless one tries.

People don’t want to change diet & lifestyle.

And that’s the definition of choice. 

I hope you never have the problem. My diabetes was caused by a blood infection. My pancreas is in atrophy. I did all the necessarey things like loose weight, excercise, eat right and after 27 years still have a terrible time keeping mine in control. I am still considered type 2. You are quite critical of people who have diabetes and that is sad in my opinion. I go to Canada every 6 months to buy my humalog quik pen. It is one tenth the price of it here. I do have medicare but balk at paying the 225 deductible so I choose to go north. Not a bad trip from where I live. My doctor gave me a form to order it from Canada if I dont want to make the trip. My son drives me up so no problem. I get 6 months worth at a time. Cost 300 dollars here 3000. I hope they continue to sell it to us.