Honored Contributor

Re: I have my new knee and I'm home!

[ Edited ]

@KailaS. I live alone and after my TKR, I stayed at a rehab hospital for 2 weeks.  I don't think I could have made it had I been alone.  I had a nice roommate and enjoyed my little vacation.  Medicate paid for the whole thing 100%.  It was worth it just to have meals served.

Forgot to mention, I had 4 dogs at the time and had a certified pet sitter come in daily to feed and water them.  I also took the opportunity to have a woman come in and do a deep cleaning and organizing of my house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  DD is holding down the fort for me.  I get myself to the bathroom and kitchen too.  Will have DD leave ice chest next too me if need be.  I can manage tomorrow and she will ne here Saturday and Sunday.  My sister and BIl are coming Monday to visit.

I thought by next Wed. I could get a start on something for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Right now that's a no go.

I know one thing for sure, my left knee better hold up, I will never, ever have it replaced.

Respected Contributor

Best wishes for a speedy recover!🙏🏼😊

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01   Sounds like you and I had the exact same post knee surgery experience.  The CPM machine was wonderful and, like you, I would use it several times a day to keep the stiffness  down and the knee limber.  It was soothing and often I would close my eyes and fall asleep as well.  I definitely think it made the knee recovery progress faster and more efficient.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

My wife's surgeon, our friend, used glue to close her exterior incision. My 81 year old ice skating lady friend, had our Surgeon friend, do her Right TKR last December. She was back skating the 1st week in March. Anyways, he also glued her exterior incision. I looked at her knee and it was hard for me go even see that incision. Had I not known she had that surgery, I would never had noticed a scar.

As far as your pain and stiffness? Exactly the way my wife described it. That too shall pass, hopefully sooner than later.

Take good care now,

hckynut

My surgeon used surgical glue as well and the incision is barely noticeable, even to me. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Ok, I am been up since 3:00 am.  I took a pain pill about 11:00 pm.  I did doze for awhile.  Had to get up to hit bathroom.  My knee was just throbbing to the point of being half nauseaed.  I can barely walk.  Iced it again.  Was not going to make it until 5 am for pill.  Took it at 4:00 am and still iicing. It really hasn't helped.  This does not seem normal.  I certainly don't expect to be painfree but 5 mg. of Oxycodone should help.  I have no idea why I am not on Percoset.  It helped with my hip.  I left a message with the Dr. answering service at 7 this am asking about adding Tylenol or a different pain med.

If I can barely walk how do I do PT, which I need to do. I have always had a pretty high pain tolerence but this is crazy.  I dread walking to the bathroom.

Honored Contributor

OP--glad this is over for you---well the sugery anyway---just work hard--its gonna hurt but work as hard as you can--- you want full movement back. SIL has had 3 of them--2 on the same knee and she is doing well. but it took alot of work----good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  She did this 3 times?   I would do a hip again but I will never do this again.  Seriously, I don't care how bad a knee would get. Never, ever again,

Valued Contributor

That is great news. I am glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Take  it  '" Kneasy"' ... Don't over do it!

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD picked up my prescriptions.  I assumed I would get Percoset like I did for my hip. Nope, I got Oxycodone HCL 5mg.  Personally, I don't think it works as well as Percoset 5/325. I am not taking anything for inflamation. Am on Eliquois for 2 weeks.  Did that for my hip too.

I don't want to spook anyone, but is this thing supposed to hurt this much?  I dozed in the chair and walking to the bathroom kind of took my breath away.

Some people don't believe me but I had virtually no post op pain after my TKR.  My surgeon said that he believed in pain control when I first went for the consult and he was a man of his word.  I had a nerve block before I went into the OR and that was supposed to last for 24-72 hours.  He also prescribed oxycodone and insisted that I take it on schedule, where I was in pain or not.  No pain at in the hospital.  I came home with the script for oxycodone and I took it and iced the heck out of that knee all day long.  The oxcodone was only for 1 week at home, after than he told me to take motrin and tylenol.  I thought thought I got that wrong but my friend who is a physician said taking both was perfectly fine since they address pain in different ways.  Just don't take too many or take them too often.  I did get an occasional twinge or ache but I have to say that my surgeon was a man of his word, pain was not a factor.  Which was particularly great for me because prior to the surgery that I was in agony with that knee 24/7 because I couldn't have the steroidid injections 90 days before the surgery.