Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have my new knee and I'm home!

DD picked up my prescriptions.  I assumed I would get Percoset like I did for my hip. Nope, I got Oxycodone HCL 5mg.  Personally, I don't think it works as well as Percoset 5/325. I am not taking anything for inflamation. Am on Eliquois for 2 weeks.  Did that for my hip too.

I don't want to spook anyone, but is this thing supposed to hurt this much?  I dozed in the chair and walking to the bathroom kind of took my breath away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Were you instructed to alternate extra strength Tylenol and ibuprofen with the oxycodone, @CrazyKittyLvr2?  I can't remember the exact schedule.  I'm not suggesting you do that without consulting the surgeon but that's been the routine for my recent surgeries.  Icing should definitely help with the swelling and relieve some pain.  For some reason nights are tougher than daytime hours.  Call for help tomorrow, rather than waiting for the weekend.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy  I am going to call Dr.'s office tomorrow. Also I didn't have compression stockings in hospital like I did for hip.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy  I forgot to add, I had an inflatable cuff on my non-surgical leg instead of compression stocking.

Respected Contributor

I've had both knees and hips done. I don't react well to pain meds, so I just took regular Tylenol.  Fortunately, that worked fine.

I'm so grateful that replacements are available: I would be in a very bad way, otherwise.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations on your new knee ! great to hear you are home and doing well. Now the work begins so you can get that new knee working. Happy therapy days ahead !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@tansy  I forgot to add, I had an inflatable cuff on my non-surgical leg instead of compression stocking.

I find the compression stockings super uncomfortable, @CrazyKittyLvr2.  They actually made me cry.  With the last knee, I did ankle pumps every hour while I was awake.  Of course I had a medication for thinning the blood as well.  I slept with my legs elevated on pillows.  I was fortunate in that my husband would get me ice during the night.  Can you get your daughter to fill a cooler with ice packs for tonight?  I'm sorry you're hurting right now.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@tansy  I am going to call Dr.'s office tomorrow. Also I didn't have compression stockings in hospital like I did for hip.  

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

My wife had a cover with slight compression over her knee. Never had real compression socks or TED hose at the hospital or was told to wear them at home. Elevation(leg above heart level) and ice, ice, ice!

Her leg still swelled bad last Friday and the Doc had her go for a Doppler Ultrasound to check for DVT. Came back negative and swelling, while it set her back a bit, is now where it should be at this point post surgery.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD picked up my prescriptions.  I assumed I would get Percoset like I did for my hip. Nope, I got Oxycodone HCL 5mg.  Personally, I don't think it works as well as Percoset 5/325. I am not taking anything for inflamation. Am on Eliquois for 2 weeks.  Did that for my hip too.

I don't want to spook anyone, but is this thing supposed to hurt this much?  I dozed in the chair and walking to the bathroom kind of took my breath away.

Yes, it hurts like h*ll.  It does for quite awhile. Take your meds as prescribed; when your body is in the severe pain, the medicine will do it's job and you won't become an addict. Do not let the pain get ahead of you; you have PT work to do and it will hurt. Hopefully you're walking using a walker right now...that will give you stability and keep you even.

It's major surgery, a big operation. Your job is to rest, eat well, elevate, ice, exercise as instructed but not to the point of agony, take your meds, keep an eye out for infection and binge watch fun tv or whatever relaxes you. If you're concerned about something, call your doc or page him/her after hours.

And, yes, I have two artificial knees so I've been to the show. Good luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes my God given brain doesn't work.  I can't take anti-inflamatories because of Eliquois.  DD reminded me that when she had a blood clot she had to stop Ibuprofin while she was on Xralto.

The PT/home health woman called,she is coming at 11:00 tomorrow morning.  This shoukd be fun.

I was told not to use pillow under my knee.  I can used rolled up towel under my ankle.