Respected Contributor

Re: I have been up since flippen 2:30 a.m......

Don't be so hard on yourself.  You are going through a tough time.  There are horror stories about every drug but that doesn't mean it will happen to you. 

Ambien is a life saver for me.  My doc prescribes 10 mg and I usually take half a pill.  I am not given a lot of pills and I limit my usage to once or twice a week.  Works for me.  

If I am out of ambien I will sometimes take 1 or 2 benedryl pills (same ingredient as in Tylenol PM but minus the Tylenol).  Again, occasional use only.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Journal.  

Nothing fancy, no rules, no right or wrong.   Release and breathe.

I am not a fan at all of medication but that is my stand, not right for everyone but right for me.

Fighting the insomnia will just add more stress, more insomnia, and round you go.

It is your choice in the end about the meds; asking for help is something many of us struggle with and that is ok.

I am glad you keep sharing here, too.

Be well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2---well, my dear,  you have been thru the wringer with all that you are going thru. Am not surprised. This is a tough period of time to endure--again my sympathies---- I ,too, deal with un-dx insomnia. I take .50 mg of Ativan every night and then I take a magnesium cap too. If I can get 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night, I consider that a victory. I find that the magnesium doesn't make me sleep longer, but the sleep is better. I think, until things even out, you will have to grab whatever sleep you can. Hang in there !!!

Esteemed Contributor

Dr. gave me only 0.25mg. I wish I could do a long but walking any real distance with my walker and bad knee is not an option right now.

Trusted Contributor

I haven’t experienced the trauma you have been through.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I use my headphones and listen to guided meditation on you tube at bedtime.  I usually fall asleep with the headphones on.  I feel rested the next day.

Be kind to yourself.  Little treats here and there.  Practice self care. You are very deserving and very much loved here in this forum.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to echo what @mom2four0418 and others said.  

@CrazyKittyLvr2,  There is strength in asking for, receiving, and accepting help.    You're doing so when you post here on the forums, opening up to us and listening to our comments, and that's your strength talking.   When we break a leg, it cannot stand alone without healing care and the temporary strength of a cast, a crutch, a cane, a brace, or temporary rest offered by a soft place to fall.   ​When the tornado rages through the land, we need the protection of a braced and strong shelter.

When our body needs nutrition, we use the help of food and supplements.   ​When we teach children the power and magnitude generated by a team or a community we give them the gift of strength in inevitable "breaks" along the life path.  

When our heart breaks, it cries out for help from others who care, who know, who understand, who offer that bridge we need until we walk again without that temporary cast, crutch, cane, or soft place to fall.  

You have the help of your physician, already...  and medication, meditation, exercise (doesn't have to be strenuous...  yoga is wonderful), prayer, and other support systems are there to shore you up, to brace you and walk by your side during this difficult time.  

Also, please write things down.    When your mind is racing or muddled, write how you feel, or write lists of things to do, put thoughts to paper.

It doesn't even have to be organized or make much sense when you do it...  it flows from the mind and the heart to the words and text and sometimes that helps us move worries or concerns off to the side for the time being, and it also gives us insight we can use at the time and later when we look back.

In addition, my hope is that you will ask your physician to recommend a therapist, a counselor, a support group, if you don't already have one.   Please consider this, even if only temporarily, so they can be the experienced listening and knowledgeable ear, compassionate and objective wisdom, while you regain your footing and gently mend your broken heart.  

Not only can they hear you and advise you, they can give you tools such as meditation, biofeedback, positive imagery, calming breathing techniques, self-hypnosis, positive affirmations, etc.  

As have many others here, I've slogged through fog and desperation, the painful and devastating deaths of people who were so beloved it was like losing my vital organs, being robbed of my heart and my lungs.   Without exaggeration, I am alive today because I asked for and received the help of gifted therapists and medical professionals and loved ones.  

(((@CrazyKittyLvr2))),  I continue to pray for you and I hold you close to my heart.   Please, take good and gentle care of yourself.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo 

Wonderful post.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I hope you avail yourself of the help available.  Consider reading @dooBdoo 's post more than a few times.

Take care of yourself.

Valued Contributor

L-theanine is your friend.  Google it.  My wellness doctor had me start taking it when I was having a terrible time at work and was barely sleeping.  It is the natural ingredient in tea and proven to reduce stress and anxiety.  I look for supplements made with Suntheanine (a trademark brand) and 200mg capsules.  I can feel my stress level subside within about 20 minutes of taking it.  I no longer need to take them during the day since my job changed and I just use them at bedtime.  I am one of those people whose brain turns on once I am in bed.  The L-theanine helps me immensely.  

I am sorry for your troubles and wish you the best of luck.  

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Have you tried Benadryl? I would never take Ambien, Xanax, or Ativan.

Benadryl works well and it's cheap.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had insomnia most of my life. It's not easy. All my sympathy to you for your current situation and hopefully the insomnia will pass with time.

I've never taken sleep aids but if you need to on a short term basis it seems helpful especially since your doctor has advised.

One thing I've learned as some previous posters have said is don't lie there tossing and turning and letting your thoughts take over ...and over...and over. Get up, turn the light on and do something for a while. I find that a small bowl of cheerios and warm milk can sometimes work. Then go back to bed and try again. Sometimes napping sitting in a comfortable chair or couch with a radio or TV on low can help. The bed is sometimes uncomfortable to be in when sleeplessness strikes.

Try not to worry that you can't fall asleep. If you're only sleeping in fits, that's still some sleep. Standard advice is not to nap during the daytime but a 20 minute (no more) nap can give you a boost.