Esteemed Contributor

I have been up since flippen 2:30 a.m......

I thought my insomnia could not get worse, but since the events of last week it has.  Yesterday I finally caved and called my Dr. and explained the situation and that I couldn't shut my mind off and sleep. He called in a script for Xanax.  I hate the idea of needing anything like that, I am a pretty tough cookie. 

I did take one about 8:30 last night and did sleep from about 9 p.m. to 2:30.  It was the most connected sleep I've had in a long time. I do not want to make it a habit though.

I abhor needing help and even more asking for it.

Respected Contributor

Re: I have been up since flippen 2:30 a.m......

@CrazyKittyLvr2   My 23 year old daughter suffers too. She takes 20 mg of Ambien, which is not FDA approved, 20 mg of Belsomra and on a bad night 4 mg of Atavian........sometimes all of that does not work and she is up until 3am. I suggest that she does not stay in bed and toss and turn. I tell her to find something quiet to do such as clean out her sock drawer or work on her checkbook.

Frequent Contributor

Did you try Tylenol PM first? I have had some success with that OTC med. At 71 I am experiencing the same sleep problem and want to avoid perscription meds. It's a long day when you can't get enough sleep at night. God bless you.

Esteemed Contributor

I sympathize. Being under great stress and anxiety hurts sleep. I’ve been up since 3. My husband has Alzheimer’s, my dog is going to need spinal surgery, my 97 year old mother is failing, I have serious asthma and I’m coughing my head off. My symptoms are no doubt affected by everything else. For the first time in my 72 years, my doctor put me on Sertraline. It helps take the edge off but it cannot eliminate the stress. There are probably many of us who are learning the joys of overnight TV.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I thought my insomnia could not get worse, but since the events of last week it has.  Yesterday I finally caved and called my Dr. and explained the situation and that I couldn't shut my mind off and sleep. He called in a script for Xanax.  I hate the idea of needing anything like that, I am a pretty tough cookie. 

I did take one about 8:30 last night and did sleep from about 9 p.m. to 2:30.  It was the most connected sleep I've had in a long time. I do not want to make it a habit though.

I abhor needing help and even more asking for it.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Considering everything you have been going through lately, no wonder!  No matter how strong a person is, we all have times when we can use a little help.  I don't sleep well most nights either and my doctor gives me no help or explanation other than I am older and this happens.  Not terribly helpful!  A lot of nights I turn the light back on and start reading.  Sometimes this helps me to relax and fall back asleep.  Or I watch something boring on t.v.!  Nights are not easy when you have a lot on your mind.  My best wishes to you!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I fully understand how you feel.  I’m the same way about not wanting to ask for help or taking drugs.  But sometimes that’s exactly what you need to get you through.

I was in your situation a year ago.  When my husband passed suddenly, I couldn’t sleep either.  Not surprising, when you think about it.  After a few nights, I also caved and went to the doctor.  I’d never done anything like that before and expected to be greeted with skepticism.  Instead, he said I should have come sooner!  He gave me a very mild sedative, along with something to help me keep down my food because I was also having trouble eating (something else that had never happened to me).  That did allow me a few hours of sleep that I couldn’t get any other way.  

Take the pills for a while.  You need your rest to be able to function in the coming days and months.  You won’t need them forever.  Your life has changed drastically in the blink of an eye.  Give yourself a break.

And come here when you need to vent or a shoulder to cry on.  These ladies helped me through some pretty tough days.  We’re here for you too.

🙏🕊❤️

Esteemed Contributor

I have tried everything else.  Call to Dr. was a last resort.  I refuse to take Ambien, heard too many horror stories.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Everyone needs help now and then. Considering what you're going through it's no wonder you can't sleep. I hope the medication helps. I wish you peace and comfort during this very difficult time.💐🕊🙏🏻

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I have tried everything else.  Call to Dr. was a last resort.  I refuse to take Ambien, heard too many horror stories.

There are several other medications for anxiety and insomnia which are not addictive. Most primary care doctors are not even aware of them because it is not their specialty. I would suggest that you consult with a psychiatric nurse practitioner. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. Reaching out is a sign of strength. I am so very sorry for your loss.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

i love what @mom2four0418 said.  i continue to keep you in my prayers.