Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have been up since flippen 2:30 a.m......

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Nuttmeg   A psychiatrist????  I don't need a psychiatrist.  I am upset and can't sleep like thousands of other women who are widowed suddenly.  I am sure in time I will fine.

I would not take Xanax prescribed by my PCP long term. I would not take it for more than 30 days.

The next treatment source would be a Poc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg   I realize it's not for long term use and I have no plans to use it more than a week,  if needed.  

Thank you Dr. nutmeg3

Frequent Contributor

I continue to keep you in my prayers. Right now you need some help in turning your brain off and I’m sure you will be careful not to abuse whatever you are prescribed. Sending hugs your way.

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I am so very sorry for all you are going through.  This too shall pass .

You need to do whatever you need to to get through this difficult time .

you may want to try to stay up as late as you can and the take the Xanax so maybe you can sleep during the wee hours .  I find reading helps tire my eyes and takes my mind off things and helps me to sleep 

I also think exercise really relieves anxiety and promotes sleep .

sending you positive thoughts for better days ahead 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Have you tried Benadryl? I would never take Ambien, Xanax, or Ativan.

I was prescribed Benadryl in a pinch. I wouldn't  take these other meds unless I saw a psychiatrist. These meds can do harm in the wrong hands.

That is very accurate. 

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add that in addition to the great ideas about sleep, @dooBdoo is spot on about Benadryl!  I am one of those people who is wired differently with the drug, and taking one has me bouncing off of the ceiling.  Many have that response, surprised more haven’t heard of it. 

Also, @CrazyKittyLvr2  Please don’t take offense about the suggestion to seek out the help of a Psychiatrist or Psychologist.  Very often they are the ones who manage pain clinics, in a Good way.  You have suffered a staggering emotional loss & are also burdened with a painful knee. (I have one too).  Emotional Pain is every bit as real and traumatic as physical pain.  Of course you are not psychologically imbalanced, but you have had a hard knock, and are carrying a heavy load.

It sounds as if your PCP is working with you, but please seek elsewhere if needed.  Bad, or NO sleep makes everything so much worse!

Wishing you you all the Best as you cope with this loss.  {{{hugs}}}.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

It's quite understandable that you cannot sleep.  Look at what you've been through!  Please seek help if you need it, there's nothing wrong in doing so.  You must take care of yourself.

After my SO passed away at 36, I joined a grieving group.  It was thru a church that I am not a member of, but we were all accepted.  I found it very, very helpful to be around people dealing with the same issues.  I'm sure your local hospital has support groups.  My group would not take "newly" widowed, your spouse/SO had to have passed at least 6 weeks prior.  Again, as the days turn into weeks & months, you may find it helpful.

I also take a sleep sedative when needed.  I blame my insominia more on post menapause.  I was not sleeping and to get up at 5:20a was killing me.  I take 5mg of a generic ambien as needed.

Please be kind to yourself.  I wish you strength.Heart

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

From what you had to live for over a week, which is among the worst thing anyone has to deal with, not being able to sleep, unfortunately is pretty normal for most going through this type of grieving. Whatever it takes to turn your mind off for a few hours would be a relief for most everyone under these conditions.

You are in my thoughts and make sure you can turn you mind off for at least a few hours each day. If it takes a prescription med, so be it.

May each day find you getting more sleep/rest and maintaining the physical and mental strength to get through each day.

My very best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do know what Insomnia feels like. After going through it myself shortly after serious stress and grief. I did everything you can imagine... from drinking warm milk, taking a bath at night, otc prescription pills, doubling on rx pills, taking dr prescribed pills, massages, music, NOTHING worked so i lived with it for months. 

I found a naturopath and she gave me magnesium packets which really seem to help. After taking one, im sleepy within 30 minutes and sleep good. Theres no chemicals these are just minerals that support healthy body. May I suggest that you find and talk to a naturopath so they can assess what you mind and body need. Also see if they can do some blood work for you as copper and zinc imbalance has a lot of do with insomnia among other things. Talk therapy does help some people but it made me worse. I felt like my mind could not heal or shut off, it just got more active and i was not able to resolve the issues disturbing me because the therapist needs you to be in pain so they can make you feel like you really need them which can go on for months and years. They like that but you re-live those hurtful things over and over again which is very painful. If you're healed then they're out of a job. Just my experience anyway. 

Hope you feel better and get some good zzzz. Smiley Happy 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I thought my insomnia could not get worse, but since the events of last week it has.  Yesterday I finally caved and called my Dr. and explained the situation and that I couldn't shut my mind off and sleep. He called in a script for Xanax.  I hate the idea of needing anything like that, I am a pretty tough cookie. 

I did take one about 8:30 last night and did sleep from about 9 p.m. to 2:30.  It was the most connected sleep I've had in a long time. I do not want to make it a habit though.

I abhor needing help and even more asking for it.

Try taking the meds a little later in evening.