Respected Contributor

Re: I have been up since flippen 2:30 a.m......

[ Edited ]

Have you tried exercise? Just a daily walk or 1/2 hour of yoga, will help your body want sleep- Not to mention the other obvious benefits, i.e., a feeling of Well-being among them...  Sending positive wishes your way- Skye. 

Honored Contributor

Hugs and I understand how you feel you have suffered a huge loss and your life has been turned upside down.

Please listen to your doctor and be kind to yourself

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 When my mother died I got into a bad sleep pattern....honestly it took me about a year to get back on track and sleep 'normally' again.  You have been thru a tragic experience asking for help is difficult....but sometimes necessary.

I'm glad you got some sleep although not a full night...hopefully the Xanax will help, short term.  We all need help at one time or another in our life...but like you, I do not like asking for help.   Take care.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Have you tried exercise? Just a daily walk or 1/2 hour of yoga, will help your body want sleep- Not to mention the other obvious benefits, i.e., a feeling of Well-being among them...  Sending positive wishes your way- Skye. 

Exercise helps me, too. Whenever I have problems falling asleep it's usually when I haven't done much physical activity that day. Exercising everyday is something I have to do for many reasons and not just for getting a better night's sleep.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , It is stress,and worry, i have been there, so much to get use to ,and all, i still take trazadone.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no shame in needing something to chill you out for awhile @CrazyKittyLvr2   Like @geezerette when my husband passed I didn't even ask and my doctor prescribed a low dose Xanax for me.  It was 1 mg and I split it in half.  He prescribed it, as needed, because I was a full fledged nervous wreck.  I didn't take it as often as he must have thought I would need it because there were pills left at the end of 30 days.

The rug has been pulled out from under you with the sudden passing of your beloved.  This is going to take time.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

If you are not working and do not have to wake up at a certain time there are so many options without medication that cause very serious side effects.

Just a few simple ones.

Start a regular physical work out routine.

Practice deep breathing

Find a good relaxtion tape.

Try a meditation tape.

Napping can make up for missed sleep.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 You expect a lot from yourself...just be gentle and pampering for awhile.You have much healing to do and a good sleep will give you some strength.If you don’t like the meds that were prescribed ask for something else.

Frequent Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 .......I am so sorry for the unexpected loss of your dear husband. With everything you have experienced in recent weeks, it's understandable that you are having trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I'm glad that you reached out to your doctor for help...there are times when we all need to do that. I have had great results using Trazodone just as @goldensrbest has.  It is not addictive and safe to use over longer periods of time, if needed.  I hope you will be kind to youself in weeks and months to come. There are many of us here who are ready and willing to listen whenever you need to talk.  Luv and prayers to you and your dear family.                            

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Benadryl? I would never take Ambien, Xanax, or Ativan.