Honored Contributor

I was so surprised , it was all done in one hr.  I have one before years ago and they only did a small bit at a time, and you kept having to return, to get more done

I am just posting this for people, who has never had to have one, but might need one in the future.  It was no worse than having a filling done

The tooth was crowned last year,  and today  they just drilled a small hole, in the top of the tooth. When they finished the put a temporary filling in the tooth, which will need a permanent filling, but not a new crown

So if you ever need a root canal don't be afraid.

Respected Contributor

Re: I has a root canal today

[ Edited ]

@cherry ~ you're right!  I've had many done over the years and each was with one visit, and painless!   I remember getting 3 done in one visit, I was there for over 3 hrs., just too much and dentist should of known better, but no pain or discomfort other than the novocaine injection sites, they were a bit sore.  My wallet sure felt the pain though!😄

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@cherry ~ you're right!  I've had many done over the years and each was with one visit, and painless!  My wallet felt the pain though!😄

Wow, yes it is expensive. But, I thought about how much the equipment must have cost him. He looked through  a kind of binocular thing, attached to  something that magnified what he was seeing in my mouth

It must have cost a fortune. The chair I was setting in also gave me a back massage.  I think it was to help people relax.  I hope I never need another, but I was very lucky. They found the problem with this tooth ,yesterday, and I was able to get it taken care of today.  Lucky for me I never had any pain with it

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@cherry ~ you're right!  I've had many done over the years and each was with one visit, and painless!  My wallet felt the pain though!😄

Wow, yes it is expensive. But, I thought about how much the equipment must have cost him. He looked through  a kind of binocular thing, attached to  something that magnified what he was seeing in my mouth

It must have cost a fortune. The chair I was setting in also gave me a back massage.  I think it was to help people relax.  I hope I never need another, but I was very lucky. They found the problem with this tooth ,yesterday, and I was able to get it taken care of today.  Lucky for me I never had any pain with it

Yes, we certainly pay for the dentist's expertise, office/dental staff, and all the wonderful equipment and meds that each exam/procedure room has!  Hope you don't ever have to see a oral surgeon, talk about BIG bucks😳

Honored Contributor

I know dentistry is very expensive.

Ike told Mamie to take care of her teeth.  Good advice, I wish everyone could afford to do it.  It must cost a lot of money to go to dental school

I am so lucky where I live ,to be surrounded by such good heath care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I know dentistry is very expensive.

Ike told Mamie to take care of her teeth.  Good advice, I wish everyone could afford to do it.  It must cost a lot of money to go to dental school

I am so lucky where I live ,to be surrounded by such good heath care

So many people young and older don't go becuase they can't afford to, not even to dental school clinics.  Consider ourselves blessed and fortunate.

Funny you mentioned Eisenhower...wherever you heard or read it, it stuck with you!

Honored Contributor

I've had lots of root canals.  They never hurt.  Not much to them anymore.  Just take awhile.  And...not cheap.

Respected Contributor

root canal = physical and financial pain.

Frequent Contributor

How random! I just had a root canal today as well! I've had a couple over the years (none within the last 10 years), but this one was a little different. They did a CT scan of the molar and also irrigated the tooth for about 5 minutes or so. Not particularly pleasant, I must say.

I'm still a little numb, and the dentist did give me a prescription for pain pills. Hope I don't need them.

How are you feeling?

Honored Contributor

@hummermom wrote:

How random! I just had a root canal today as well! I've had a couple over the years (none within the last 10 years), but this one was a little different. They did a CT scan of the molar and also irrigated the tooth for about 5 minutes or so. Not particularly pleasant, I must say.

I'm still a little numb, and the dentist did give me a prescription for pain pills. Hope I don't need them.

How are you feeling?

I feel fine, The DDS gave me 3 advil to take while I was still in the chair.  I don't have any pain