Esteemed Contributor

Re: I had some Blood Tests done through Life Extension

Results of any tests I had are listed on MyChart. There is no need to ask for copies of tests if one has an account. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Results of any tests I had are listed on MyChart. There is no need to ask for copies of tests if one has an account. 

It has been my experience that my information on MyChart is not always complete.

At a office visit following a surgical proceedure, a nurse handed me a biopsy reprort and said you need this. The heading said in bold print: NOT FOR MYCHART. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@SeaMaiden @Are you taking biotin? It can cause lower levels. 

@Mindy D  Only what is in my multiple....nothing extra or supplemental 

Biotin must be COMPLETELY stoped at least three days prior to testing.

It will affect TSH and other components too.  Invalid test.

@Still Raining  @Mindy D   This is interesting info. Most all multiples contain biotin...wonder how many people who are affected by a false test think they have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism   when they really do not?

I doubt  a regular physician would know enough about supplements to even know this. Most supplements ( multiples and hair vitamins have upward of 2000 msg! Many hair vitamins have 5000 mg!  Waymore than 20 mg  suggested as OK. Then you add your multiple....a b complex supplement....and you are upwards of many thousands of MG a a day!  Here is a 2016 article that is really interesting!

https://endocrinenews.endocrine.org/

THS is made by the pituitary gland, not the thyroid.

My endocrinologist is alway on my case about biotin ( among other things ).

Esteemed Contributor

TSH is just one test for the thyroid. It fluctuates daily. There are so many other, more in depth tests for thyroid such as T3, T3 reverse, T4, Iodine, total T3. It gets very complicated depending on how your hormones are converted. I take biotin, and I've never had a problem with thyroid levels.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

(1) A full Senior Blood Panel  

(2) A   LP(a)  test.( I tested negative thank goodness!👍)

I am trying to figure some health issues out. The senior Blood panel is much more comprehensive than the Medicare blood test given to me. The senior blood panel that I had included a urine test which was never given to me by my doctor and so important......And of course,  the LP(a) test which  is not covered at all. 

My doctor never checked my TSH hormone levels on the test he used...

• The senior panel test I paid for showed I am Hypothyroid ...low thyroid, underactive at 5.85. 

There were a few other issues also that I will bring up with my doctor on the senior test that were not tested on the regular blood test. 

This  high TSH can cause a lot of health issues if left untreated....and contribute to High Cholesterol  too, which seemed to come upon me suddenly over the last year for no reason. My doctor right away wanted to give me statins...I told him to give me time to address the issue on my own first.

So, I am going to work on lowering my TSH levels with natural supplements first before resorting to the drug LEVOTHYROXINE, which like any drug has side effects, and is the drug of choice for hypothyroidism.

Hopefully see my TSH improved along with my cholesterol next checkup.....with my protocol...  I will request a full thyroid panel when I see my doctor this time. 

I wish I could trust doctors to do their homework....but I know I am not that important to them and we must look out for ourselves FIRST. 

Unless you are having severe symptoms of hypothyroidism, I would not just jump on taking medication for it. It has enormous side effects, and it's not for everybody. My doctor said numbers are just that, numbers. He goes by symptoms. Numbers fluctuate during the day, hourly etc. So many doctors are giving out pills just because a number is off. I would never trust that. Think before you take the plunge for medication. There are other ways to lower your thyroid numbers naturally. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

(1) A full Senior Blood Panel  

(2) A   LP(a)  test.( I tested negative thank goodness!👍)

I am trying to figure some health issues out. The senior Blood panel is much more comprehensive than the Medicare blood test given to me. The senior blood panel that I had included a urine test which was never given to me by my doctor and so important......And of course,  the LP(a) test which  is not covered at all. 

My doctor never checked my TSH hormone levels on the test he used...

• The senior panel test I paid for showed I am Hypothyroid ...low thyroid, underactive at 5.85. 

There were a few other issues also that I will bring up with my doctor on the senior test that were not tested on the regular blood test. 

This  high TSH can cause a lot of health issues if left untreated....and contribute to High Cholesterol  too, which seemed to come upon me suddenly over the last year for no reason. My doctor right away wanted to give me statins...I told him to give me time to address the issue on my own first.

So, I am going to work on lowering my TSH levels with natural supplements first before resorting to the drug LEVOTHYROXINE, which like any drug has side effects, and is the drug of choice for hypothyroidism.

Hopefully see my TSH improved along with my cholesterol next checkup.....with my protocol...  I will request a full thyroid panel when I see my doctor this time. 

I wish I could trust doctors to do their homework....but I know I am not that important to them and we must look out for ourselves FIRST. 

@SeaMaiden @Hello, today. I just read your original post and realized that you wrote Please ignore this paragraph. I'm starting to confuse myself. 🙀😳

Let your doctor look into this TSH level. This is not something you should attempt to lower until you know the cause of your levels and your doctor has investigated. Your doctor will check you got goiter and look for any symptoms. Avoid your multi vitamin at least a week or even two, before you go in for retesting. You would only be placed on thyroid hormones if the cause of your numbers justifies it. You can also choose to wait and not start any medication. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  Thank you for your input. I was taking biotin in both my multiple and a hair vitamin prior to the test. I never knew about quitting biotin prior to a thyroid testing until now.  So I will just take another test in say 6 months to a year through life extension on my own without the extra biotin in my system now that I know this.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden @Biotin might, or might not,  be the cause of your levels. I don't think it's wise to wait for your visit. There are some conditions that could be causing your level that should be checked for much sooner than six months. You need to get an accurate test. Your doctor might have you repeat your tests a few times too. I suggest you see your doctor and get retested soon. Don't worry about being put on any medication right now. Just get an accurate idea of what is going on.

I did not say that it is standard practice to cut biotin before testing. I meant that in your case, you might want to be sure the biotin is not causing a false reading. It is not necessary for everyone to give up biotin unless their doctor tells them to do so. Biotin can affect test results though. Your doctor should be aware of all supplements you take. The American Thyroid Association says to take no biotin two days before testing. This advice is on their website. 

I suggest that you take a look at all your supplements and little by little. Try to compare the amounts of vitamins and minerals across the board. Checking for one a day, until your chart is complete. It's easy to to have duplications.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden @All of this here is extremely informative. You might want to copy to your device. Good reading. It's more than one section. Even wintertime can affect your levels. 

ht

Valued Contributor

Boy if you find a sure fire way to increase your thyroid hormone, let me know. I have a friend saying the same thing, no drugs. I have never found anything that works like levoxyl. Yes, I know it is a drug but sometimes one has to simply do what works for oneself. So I am dying to know if you can raise your thyroid hormone by yourself.