Honored Contributor

Re: I got my flu shot this morning.

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's really kind of odd how they come up with the strains to include in the latest vaccines. There are groups of people, scientists and researchers, from the CDC and the WHO (to name a few) ... they gather at meeting places like hotels and resorts. They have big parties and discuss their finds and data. It's all thrown into a big hat and then they randomly pick the strains from that. Not very scientific nor does it follow any specific methodology. If you asked me it's a joke and it explains a lot.

I'm not joking.

@SilleeMee 

I think it is like that in more areas of medicine than we know. 

They have no clue what strains might be bad and it is surprising they accidentally get any of them correct. At least they weren’t actually basing it on any data. That would be worse.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

“More than half of the 200 million doses of vaccines against seasonal influenza that Sanofi says are produced by all four of its vaccine production sites. In addition to Val-de-Reuil, these include Swiftwater, PA; Ocoyoacac, Mexico; and Shenzhen, China.”

Interesting facts reported by Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News regarding the locations where our flu vaccine is manufactured.

https://www.genengnews.com/topics/drug-discovery/sanofi-to-expand-seasonal-flu-vaccine-manufacturing...

Honored Contributor

Publix Pharmacy: My insurance covers the shot and receive ten dollar gift card from Publix. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee    Glad you got your flu shot. I got mine yester at Publix which is a grocery store here. No cost out of pocket as it is charged directly to my insurance And the store gives you a $ 10 gift card for getting your shot. WIN WIN I just want to be as well and healthy as I can be because I have multiple chronic illnesses.

Honored Contributor

When I was teaching, we were given our shots at no cost. Since I taught so many kids who never saw a dr, I was sure I would get the flu from one of them....never did!
Honored Contributor

I got my first shingles vaccine and my flu shot yesterday at the same time. Have been having such a problem locating the shingles vaccine I decided to get both. Started feeling yucky last night and even worse this morning,,,weak, tired, and achy. I got the stronger dose flu shot for over 65. She gave me one shot in each arm....I was so sore this morning I could barely lift my arms! Has anyone else had this reaction? Wondered if it’s because I took both of them together or if it’s just a reaction to the flu shot. Have never had any reaction at all before other than a bit of soreness at the site.
Honored Contributor

Medicare part D covers the cost of flu shots and shingles vaccines...not sure about other shots like pneumonia, etc.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I got my first shingles vaccine and my flu shot yesterday at the same time. Have been having such a problem locating the shingles vaccine I decided to get both. Started feeling yucky last night and even worse this morning,,,weak, tired, and achy. I got the stronger dose flu shot for over 65. She gave me one shot in each arm....I was so sore this morning I could barely lift my arms! Has anyone else had this reaction? Wondered if it’s because I took both of them together or if it’s just a reaction to the flu shot. Have never had any reaction at all before other than a bit of soreness at the site.

@lovesrecess - we can’t even find the shingles shot where I live (Atlanta). We’ve been on the waiting list at CVS for over a year and I checked at Publix the other day. They have over 200 people on their list and aren’t adding any more names right now. 

I’m sorry you had a reaction to it. I heard that’s pretty common. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Got mine on Friday at CVS. I'll  get the pneumonia shot in two weeks. I thought the Flu shot was free to any and everyone that wants it. I'm surprised to hear that some have to pay for it. I guess I take my insurance for granted.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Valued Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

CVS called me the other day to remind me.  However, I prefer to wait until early to mid-October.  This is just a bit too early for me.  I worry that the potency will wane sooner than the flu season wanes.

Mid October is what my doctor suggests here in Western KY for that very reason.