Honored Contributor

Re: I got my flu shot this morning.

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I hope they make it better this year.  Last year's shot was only 36% effective.

Hi Scooby Doo. The main reason for this is that the expertss have to GUESS in advance which viral strains will be circulating. 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@SilleeMee   I'll get mine at Walgreen's too because of their get one give one program. Geez, I was in that area of town this morning too, should've stopped. I will.

If you're 65 yet and got a shot w/4 serums, I wonder what's in the shot over 65...Seems it's like a c*ap shoot anyway sometimes.

Influenza Vaccine for the 2019-2020 Season

Cumulative 2019/2020 Season Lot Release Status (Updated 8/29/2019)

Flu vaccine lots that have been released by FDA and are available for distribution by the manufacturers. For information on flu vaccine distribution schedules, please contact the manufacturers directly.

Manufacturer Total Number of Lots Released by FDA
Afluria Quadrivalent
Seqirus Pty. Ltd.
Fluad
Seqirus, Inc.
Fluarix Quadrivalent
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals
Flublok Quadrivalent
Protein Sciences Corporation
Flucelvax Quadrivalent
Seqirus, Inc.
FluLaval Quadrivalent
ID Biomedical Corporation of Quebec
FluMist Quadrivalent
MedImmune, LLC
Fluzone High Dose
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Fluzone Quadrivalent
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.

FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee met in Silver Spring, Maryland, on March 6 and 22, 2019, to select the influenza viruses for the composition of the influenza vaccine for the 2019-2020 U.S. influenza season. During this meeting, the advisory committee reviewed and evaluated the surveillance data related to epidemiology and antigenic characteristics of recent influenza isolates, serological responses to 2018-2019 vaccines, and the availability of candidate strains and reagents.

The committee recommended that the trivalent formulation influenza vaccines for the U.S. 2019-2020 influenza season contain the following:

• an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
  • an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus;
  • a B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria lineage).

The committee also recommended that quadrivalent influenza vaccines contain the above three strains and the following additional B strain:

• a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata lineage)
  • Content current as of:

08/29/2019

Honored Contributor

Planning to get one later this month at Dr appointment. Cat Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

The CDC recommends you get one as soon as it becomes available

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I hope they make it better this year.  Last year's shot was only 36% effective.

@Scooby Doo

CDC reports that last years flu vaccine was 47%. Not bad for guessing what strains will be predominent.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

This' year has gone by SO fast!!!!  I can't believe it's that time already.  I will get a letter soon and then go get mine, but not this soon.  I wait awhile.  

Honored Contributor

We got ours this morning at our grocery store, Publix.  We each got a $10 gift card for getting them there. 

The pharmacist said that there have already been been confirmed cases of the flu in our area. 

Even though my husband is over 65 (I am not), we both got the quad version.  My husband doesn’t really want to get it to begin with, but for the past several years has agreed to get the quad version instead of the senior dose. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

We got ours this morning at our grocery store, Publix.  We each got a $10 gift card for getting them there. 

The pharmacist said that there have already been been confirmed cases of the flu in our area. 

Even though my husband is over 65 (I am not), we both got the quad version.  My husband doesn’t really want to get it to begin with, but for the past several years has agreed to get the quad version instead of the senior dose. 

@gidgetgh 

Where are you located? 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Where are you located? 

@SilleeMee - metro Atlanta. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Jersey Born wrote:

I will refuse to take flu shots until my very last breath.  I hope that I will be permitted to have the opportunity to control what is injected into my body for the rest of my days. 

We all must have the right to full bodily autonomy.  If we want a vaccination, fine.  If we don't, that is fine, too.  

@Jersey Born  I feel the same way. I’m in the hospital right now for several days and have been informed that someone will probably be coming around to speak to me about getting flu, pneumonia and tetanus shots. But, I don’t want them and I don’t want someone to come talk to me while I am in this bed. No thank you! 

you want to take a chance on Pneumonia or Tetanus? people die from those